Track Day

I got a chance to head to our local road race track today http://www.beaverun.comand see how the Big Heavy Busa can do. It is the North track.I had to start in the beginner class cause I had never been on a track before. So after a few laps and I'm feeling ok with the track I started pickin up the pace. I got black flaged and kicked out of the beginner class. So I get to ride with some faster guys now in the intermidiate class and after a few more laps and feeling very comfortable with the track. I pick up the pace some more. After blitzing past guys on the staights and lapping some guys. I asked if I could move up to the advance class. Now mind you I am on a Big Heavy Busa with mich pilot road tires. No race take offs. The two guys I was pitting with ran in this class. Both were on R1s. An 03 and an 04. They had been flying all day. I figured if I could just follow there lines I would be ok. We head out and i'm behind the 04 R1 and we do a lap to heat the tires up. I'm feelin ready so I come to the inside of him on turn 10 which is a big horse shoe turn and then down the straight. I figured he has been movin pretty good all day I better step it up. After I went by I never seen him again. I was supprised. My best lap time was a 107.89 and I was running a consistant 109. He was at a 110 so I guess that is why I didn't see him again. I was really shooked that the only thing that came by me all day out of all the bikes that were there was a sv 650 and two little 125 2 stroke pure race bikes. All three race alot. They would get me through the tight stuff and I would real them in on the straights. It was a blast. I had always wanted to try going to a track and I'm glad I did. What A rush. O.. Its funny how the Busa is always so Big and so heavy but there wasn't one guy there that had a damn thing to say about the BUSA after the day was done. With sport touring tires.
...way to go mate! The busa rocks
beerchug.gif

Your welcome
cool.gif

I hacked it from one of the Body Position topics at NESBA
wow.gif

Raising the rear of the bike will help with turning in quicker, and with ground clearance, but if your suspension isn't set properly, then it will still compress too much and reduce your clearance. If you go through the process of setting you sag, you'll be amazed at the difference in handling even without raising the rear.

The key to suspension tuning is to only make small changes and only change one thing at a time. Setting the sag front/rear would only be considered one item. The dampening and rebound would each be a separate item.

Usually there are trackside vendors that will set up your sag and help tune the suspension based on your feedback. This will cost you a bit, but for the performance gains, it's a small price to pay. The NESBA vendor here in the MidWest region charges $35 for this service.

Back