Getting Pulled Over

Busa_Powered

Registered
No I didnt get pulled over.

Just wondering what the process is on a mc?

Are we more likely to get tickets due to our "Sport Bike" Status.

I am by no means, a stunter, but do like to push the speed limit a bit.

I was riding a few weeks ago, got on the freeway, spotted a cop behind me, he got off on the next exit.

I figured he would do the get off, get back on game.

Sure enough he did, tried to hide behind another car.

When he knew he was spotted, he got directly behind me for a bit, I assume running my plate....really?

I'm in full gear so they really dont know that Im 38 yrs old and not a kid

Are we more likely to get tickets by what we choose to ride?:banghead:

Thanks

it is not WHAT one rides but HOW that attracts the attention of LEOs

Well I guess it depends on the cop mood, and if you have or not a mc licence have a lot to do with it. I know people just getting silly tickets or warnings just for tailight, signal lights or location of plates just cause they didn't have the mc licence. I also know people getting lucky with just a "take it easy or slow down" from the cop, in this case they did have a mc licence, and even the cop thank him for stopping(I guess he knew that the rider could out run him if he wanted to).

Last edited:
LEO did the same to me a month ago. Just followed me my entire highway trip back to town, tailgating no less, just waiting for me to screw up.

Last week, I apparently drove 3 or 4 miles at 102-120 tucked in with sirens I couldn't hear and lights I didn't see with my mirrors adjusted for upright riding buzzing right behind me.

No traffic anywhere, I was just cruisin right along. The ONLY car I passed was pulling over to the shoulder from in front of me, and I sat upright to check it out, in case a flat or some other prob, I'd of stopped to help out. That's when I saw the LEO lights in the mirrors.

That's gonna cost me 640 bucks. Cop seemed like an alright guy though. Said sorry, but he has to write me for something, ticketed for the lower of the speeds he clocked me at, and told me to 'be careful on that thing'

I think he was having fun following me.

First ticket in 10 years. I knew my luck was running out!

it is not WHAT one rides but HOW that attracts the attention of LEOs

I disagree what you ride or drive does draw attention to you. whether its a sport s car, Corvette or a Sportbike.

If you find a group of cars or bikes all speeding traveling at the same speed, you have to pick one to cite. Which do you pick ??? The one that most catches your eye whether it's cause you like the car or bike or because you dislike it.

4 sedans and 1 sportbike all going 8-15 mph hr over at the same time at the same moment :poke: sporty is going down :laugh: They run my plate nearly every time they see me, or pace me staying in the blind spot or a few cars back hoping I drop the ball and give em a reason.

Pick your spots carefully. If you haven't done anything wrong and your are legit just ride your ride and forget they are their, they will get bored and move on.

In Fla they look for reasons to pull you over. They have also passed new laws last year that make for crazy stupid fines for things like plate mounted sideways, one wheel off ground, 30 miles over speed limit.

I left the state. They took the fun out of riding for the responsible, mature, riders because of the few that have made a name for themselves YouTubing wheelies at 100 MPH in traffic.

They hassle you every chance they get there.

In Alabama, I have had no issue at all with the LEO. They wave at you as you pass one another.

Tom you must be in fairhope.. Every time I pass through evey cop I see waves.. Randy, Dave, and I were headed north on section street and cops sit right across from the Haven to catch speeders on that road. We were going about 5-10 over and he gave us a nice wave. But I've encountered all cool cops so far here in southern AL. When are you going to ride with us on a Sunday..

Ok I'm starting to get off topic here.. It all depends on the cop and the rep of the local sport riders in general.. Are most loud obnoxious and stupid or cool and laid back? Those 2 factors play biggest role IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

For the most part my closest coworkers and I won't acknowledge the spirited sportbike riders. Those who probably deserve tickets will run, and I don't want to embarrass myself by even trying to pull them over in certain situations. I probably won't write them if they do pull over, and I'm definitely not chasing them for traffic charges only.

When they're stopped or at traffic lights I talk to them about their bikes and/or my bikes and try to foster a more positive outlook of LEOS. Besides, you'll find most cops either ride, used to ride or, wanna ride but their old lady or child support obligations won't let them.

The issue is usually whether or not they're into the kinda bike you ride. Most normal cops are drawn to the excitement of the profession, which includes fast driving- most of us understand.

And cops love the Hayabusa...but maybe I just don't run with chotchbag cops.

In Fla they look for reasons to pull you over. They have also passed new laws last year that make for crazy stupid fines for things like plate mounted sideways, one wheel off ground, 30 miles over speed limit.

I left the state. They took the fun out of riding for the responsible, mature, riders because of the few that have made a name for themselves YouTubing wheelies at 100 MPH in traffic.

They hassle you every chance they get there.

In Alabama, I have had no issue at all with the LEO. They wave at you as you pass one another.
If you are responsible, mature why would you leave Florida you will never get pulled over? I live in florida and yes the laws are strict but what was not stated is all the deaths on us 19 of people at over 100 miles per hour on the back wheel slammin into a minivan or the worst on I can remember was in clearwater and again on us19 a guy maxed out on his liter bike so were talking 186 hits a s- 10 blazer and flipps it over and kills 1 inside from the impact thats all the time here. I ride and I do go fast but not in the middle of us 19 in a busy area. I do it up north and it is safer still not alowed but cops dont bust our chops

I got pulled over twice in the same city within a week on a gsxr 750. The cops in my city are very discriminatory toward "crotch rockets". If a motorcycle were the violate the same law as a car in the same vicinity with one cop watching. He would go after the bike. 90% of cops hate bikes. Oh and my tickets were not for speeding or wreckless/carelss driving. The first one was going through a JUST yellow light which a car followed behind me and the second was making a full stop but not putting a foot down at a stop sign.

Just chose wisely where you "play"!! I live and ride in a rural area. LEO is not "suppose" to pursue motorcycles in this state,.........but for the few times it has happened,.......I drop down a few gears,...take to the next few seconds or so to create a bigger space between me and the vehicle,......and then simply pull behind something larger than my bike. Becoming INVISIBLE is the best option. RUNNING is the worst option!!! :beerchug:

I got pulled over twice in the same city within a week on a gsxr 750. The cops in my city are very discriminatory toward "crotch rockets". If a motorcycle were the violate the same law as a car in the same vicinity with one cop watching. He would go after the bike. 90% of cops hate bikes. Oh and my tickets were not for speeding or wreckless/carelss driving. The first one was going through a JUST yellow light which a car followed behind me and the second was making a full stop but not putting a foot down at a stop sign.

Funny, i would challenge the foot down in court, displaying how i can come to a complete stop, even roll a foot in reverse, then proceed forward without putting a foot down.

As I did state in my post, they passed laws because of a few bad examples of riders. You cite 19 deaths at over 100 MPH. I won't dispute that for a second. 19 deaths against how many riders in the state? Would you guess that 19 to represent a full 1% of the number of riders in the state? Hardly.

I left Fla for several reasons. None of them were to avoid riding my motorcycle. I didn't realize how refreshing it was going to be to ride somewhere else as a side benefit. I have no tickets in Fla. I have been cited more than once.

Once, in a group of 5 motorcycles, that were all pulled over at once stating we were all speeding and the aircraft "pointing skyward" tracked us.

We were all older, responsible, geared up, had all of our documents in order and claimed our innocence right on the spot. We were all from out of county heading to Lessburg and they KNEW it. They had about 15 vehicles pulled over...all motorcycles, no cars. The Cops response, "Take it to court".

We did. Hired an attorney out of Seminole county. Magically case was dropped by the state.

In addition to being cited I have also been pulled over, checked, inspected, lectured, tracked, and what ever else you want to call it if you don't wish to call it harassment.

Been cited for speeding 3 times. Found innocent each time. Yes I am one of those citizens that believes the judge needs to see what is really happening out there on the roads. If you are innocent, take them to court!

I had a cop relieved of duty because after I defeated him in court, on his way past me heading out, he said "Next time I see you, it will be worse". That got recorded, I subpoenaed that recording and his chief got that recording as an umm "courtesy". The officer was relieved of duty in Cocoa Beach. I'm sure he just moved on to some other precinct. To continue on with his attitudes.

LEO in Fla are cowboys. They rule by intimidation. If I am faced with having a $1500 fine for having my plate sideways or not plain enough for them to see that particular Wednesday, they are going to see more people twist the right wrist, to make them disappear.

I am glad I left Fla in general, riding here is relaxing by comparison.

The state is going broke, tickets are a fast source of quick revenue for them. Don't lose sight of that motivation either.

I had a cop (lives in my neighborhood) tell me, "if I see a guy on a crotch rocket, with all the leathers on, he's getting my full attention". I asked "why most of the guys that wear the full leathers are doing so for protection". Without missing a beat he said "if they weren't acting like they were on a race track they wouldn't need all that protection". So I asked him what's the first thing you hear when there's an accident between a car & bike ? He said "I didn't see them" I said THERE YOU GO, now you know, and knowing is half the battle.....GO JOE !!

Last edited:
I have quite a few cop friends... this is what I've been told as rule of thumb.

If you're clocked at triple digits from a stopped car, they likely won't even try to catch you, unless you saw them, and they see your brake light up... then they know you're already pulling over admitting defeat, or they actually have a reasonable chance of catching up to ya.

If they are going the opposite direction or clocking you from a stop, and observe you speeding, you see them pull out or turn around.... nail it till your out of line of sight, take the first off ramp, and go get lost for a few min.

If you didn't see them behind you, or anywhere, and now they are behind you and they are in sight of your plate... pull over. You cannot outrun your plate number. They will most definitly show up at your door with handcuffs at the ready.

Here an officer MUST observe you committing the act. If you get pulled over because someone reported they saw you speeding and they don't have a radar / pace gauge to show you, 'Wasn't me officer, dunno what you're talking about'

Officers cannot be the witness in Wreckless Driving / endangerment, there MUST be a civilian that says, 'yes, I feel my life / safety was in danger by the other motorist.' and the officer must have also witnessed the act.

Be polite, and say as little as possible. If you intend to fight anything in court, do not answer anything EVER aside from your name and insurance info... year / make of your vehicle. You will ALWAYS say something that can be used against you, and you have the RIGHT to say nothing at all. However in a vehicle you ARE required to provide your documentation.

Do NOT answer the 'Do you know how fast you were going?' question.

Another thing I learned yesterday, not that you should EVER have been guilty of this: if you pass a school bus with the STOP arm out, the bus driver fills out a form. Sends the form in, and about a week later a sheriff will show up at your house. He / she will ask you if you passed the bus illegally. All you have to do is simply say, 'No' and no matter what, stick to it. They can't do anything unless you admit it, amazingly most people will, and it costs them almost 500 bucks!

Well, that's all for now... Sorry for the long :moon: post. Take what you will from it, :banghead: or :devil: but it's straight from the horses mouth.

Be safe and ticket free!

Here is a video about not talking to the police and why, from a law school lecture. I feel it's VERY worth watching. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread.

Link in case of white box
- Dont Talk to Police[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got pulled over on I-5 north of Sacramento, out in the middle of nowhere.

It was early morning, 6:30am, no traffic, and I was doing triple-digits. I was coming up on a town and had slowed down to 90 when the CHP came around the crest heading towards me.

By the time he turned around and caught up I was back down to the speed limit - 70.

He pulled me over, talked to me for a bit about how the speed limit is 70, asked if I was cold (YES!) and said, "I'll be up ahead somewhere. Keep the speed down" and left. Sure enough, about 20 miles later I passed him as he sat under a bridge. I waved as I passed at 70.

Cops are people too and there are plenty of them that are understanding and not on a power trip. To those :beerchug:.

As I did state in my post, they passed laws because of a few bad examples of riders. You cite 19 deaths at over 100 MPH. I won't dispute that for a second. 19 deaths against how many riders in the state? Would you guess that 19 to represent a full 1% of the number of riders in the state? Hardly.

I left Fla for several reasons. None of them were to avoid riding my motorcycle. I didn't realize how refreshing it was going to be to ride somewhere else as a side benefit. I have no tickets in Fla. I have been cited more than once.

Once, in a group of 5 motorcycles, that were all pulled over at once stating we were all speeding and the aircraft "pointing skyward" tracked us.

We were all older, responsible, geared up, had all of our documents in order and claimed our innocence right on the spot. We were all from out of county heading to Lessburg and they KNEW it. They had about 15 vehicles pulled over...all motorcycles, no cars. The Cops response, "Take it to court".

We did. Hired an attorney out of Seminole county. Magically case was dropped by the state.

In addition to being cited I have also been pulled over, checked, inspected, lectured, tracked, and what ever else you want to call it if you don't wish to call it harassment.

Been cited for speeding 3 times. Found innocent each time. Yes I am one of those citizens that believes the judge needs to see what is really happening out there on the roads. If you are innocent, take them to court!

I had a cop relieved of duty because after I defeated him in court, on his way past me heading out, he said "Next time I see you, it will be worse". That got recorded, I subpoenaed that recording and his chief got that recording as an umm "courtesy". The officer was relieved of duty in Cocoa Beach. I'm sure he just moved on to some other precinct. To continue on with his attitudes.

LEO in Fla are cowboys. They rule by intimidation. If I am faced with having a $1500 fine for having my plate sideways or not plain enough for them to see that particular Wednesday, they are going to see more people twist the right wrist, to make them disappear.

I am glad I left Fla in general, riding here is relaxing by comparison.

The state is going broke, tickets are a fast source of quick revenue for them. Don't lose sight of that motivation either.

TallTom sounds like you had bad exp with one or two so please don't associate or believe all are same . I live in Palm Beach county . Largest county in Fla. I was riding 56 in a 40 in the middle of a van and another car on my right . Leo did enie meenie minie mo and stopped me. Do I think he singled me out ? Yes . Was he a butthead and constantly had his hand on pistol and made me feel if I sneezed be woulda shot me ? Yes. He was an officer from a small neighborhood of Palm Springs. They have like six or seven officers on their force . These guys are known to be ballbusters because area they patrol is where many retirees live but Palm Beach County sheriff also patrols same area and is not known for being hard . I have numerous friends who are police officers , some who are customs agents and border patrol and a few Game Wardens. I eat with them and shoot with them and all are great family oriented folks.
So please don't believe all are same as many are underpaid and willing to risk their life to save you or pull you out of a canal or burning vehicle which happens daily here .
I would agree with Busa1166 to a point . What you ride does influence them .
A Hayabusa looks fast sitting still as do most sport bikes. A cruiser never looks fast or like it's going fast.
The friends I have who are LEOs have always told me that if your tucked in , bent over gas tank your gonna attract attn and most likely get stopped . Why ? Because you look like your going fast no matter the actual speed !
They tell me they will let one pass if he's sitting upright doing 90 and stop one who's tucked doing 70. Again why ? Because the one who is tucked doing 70 looks and appears to be going faster than the other .
It's very diff for them or the average officer to judge your speed accurately so it does have alot to do with appearance and body position .

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on the area. And, I'd say that most cops are allright. Having said that...

A couple of years ago around NYC 5 boroughs, they would do roadblocks and whatever sportbike didn't have inspection or what not - towed away.

A cop was following me for about a minute, two lanes apart and hiding behind another car - obviously checking my tag, and hoping I would go warp 3. I was taking the off ramp switching to another highway and though he would definitely pull me over to at least check me out. Nah, he continued straight.

Was given a brake "because I pulled over, and didn't run". That was a female officer.

Was let go for the headlight not being on.

At least, my bike wasn't impounded for 121/50 ticket a few years back.

I forgot the time 'Jinkster' and I were in Ft Pierce and raising cane . LEO could hear us coming and 'man you guys were moving!' he said .
He let me go with a warning because I stopped while other guy took off !
I passed him doing at least 100 in a 40mph rural Oceanside street . He was one of the nicest officers I ever met not just because he let me go but because he was really a nice guy .

Back