Getting a GPS

MoosesBusa

Former BusaHolic
Donating Member
Registered
Going to get a GPS unit for my bikes. Rode with a buddy last weekend that had one and WOW! You never have to worry about getting lost, running out of gas in the middle of nowhere or wondering what's up ahead. I've been looking at the Lowrance i Way500 , the Garmin 2720 and the Magellan RoadMate 800. All are around the same money $800. MY price range is around $500 so i'm hoping to find them on sale somewhere. I have seen all of these listed as waterproof, 2 out of the 3 have mp3 players built in, all have re-routing on the fly, color screens, talking navigation for in car use, large storage capacity and mounts available for motorcycles.
Looking for current GPS owners input or anyone else with a good knowledge of this stuff. What do I need to look out for? What DON'T I want? Are there monthly/yearly expenses? one brand better than the rest? Probably going to get one next week so your replies are GREATLY appreciated!
Have a well Guided 1,
Moose

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138997514 -->

ya cant go wrong with a garmin i like to 60 cs

pt_GPSMAP60CS01Large.jpg

Check out the Garmin 276C - also check out the web site gpsnow.com

Good Luck and keep us posted

Kent

+ 1 on the 276C. The screen is much more viewable in the direct sunlight than the 2720. Be sure to factor in the street kit and a larger memory module.

why the 276 is nice ya might also consider after ya get one there are so much more possibilities for them when they can fit in a pack or shirt pocket just a thought
smile.gif

Have a 276C here too. It is probably the most do-everything-GPS there is. Works in a car, bike, plane, portable (has it's own internal batteries) or boat. Even doubles as a fish finder/depth gage with the optional depth sounder! All solid state memory (no micro-hard drives to fail). Has a screen large screen to easily see when mounted on a bike, or sitting on the dash of a car. CPU speed is fast, meaning you can zoom in and out quickly and don't have to wait for the graphics to "catch up". Can't go wrong with the Garmin 276C.

If you hvae deep pockets, opt for the 376C. It overlays near real-time weather radar precip maps over the navigation maps.

if you want the lowrance pm me which one my buddy is a dealer and i can get great deals

I have a Garmin GPS V that I plan to put into use this spring.

Is there a unit the works along the same lines as the Magellan 700-800 series (have used in a car) that along with the excellent mapping abilities ALSO provides realtime gps speed, and high speed recall. I know some of the smaller units have the speed and high speed recall but not sure if theres a larger unit that has a complete package on the market yet!

If you hvae deep pockets, opt for the 376C.  It overlays near real-time weather radar precip maps over the navigation maps.
Let's not forgot XM Radio!
drooling3.gif
I had the XM radio for a while... not a big fan of it. Their "Commercial Free" stations played their own commercials more than music. Got irritating so I canned 'em.
I can see how the automatic traffic updates could be useful but not worth the extra monthly fee IMO

I use a map, easy to read and never goes down, but if you must have the toy and can read that little 4inch screen going down the road at 60mph on a motorcycle I would stick with Garmin or Magellan can't really go wrong. I would also look for one that has other uses, just incase it doesn't work on the bike like you want it too.

Maps aren't really good at showing back roads. I'm going to use it for both scoots as well as in my truck for work. it's going to get plenty of use. Just want to make sure the one I get won't be disappointing.

if you want the lowrance pm me which one my buddy is a dealer and i can get great deals
I may do that... thanks
I looked into the Garmin 276. Looks like a nice unit but not wild about the extra $200+ for the automobile package. Was I reading it wrong?
If you are only going to use it on the motorcycle, you can buy the city select software and a memory module at a minimum for it to work. The auto kit includes software 128meg card dash mount and a cig lighter poweer cord that has a speaker.

A 512 meg card is now available. I''l be getting one, but the 128 has served my needs well.

For a smaller package the size of the GPS III / V series, look at the Quest and Quest II

Back