GPS Technology question

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
OK, Looking at the responses to MoosesBusa's post in regards to GPS's had me looking through some site's as this is an investment I'd like to be making myself.  My question comes from having no experience with any chatter box or helmet communication systems what-so-ever, so I'm kinda wearing the dunce cap on this one.

How do you hear the routing instructions in your helmet.  Or how do you here the MP3's if you buy a GPS with that function also.  Do you have to be hard-wired to the unit, or is there some type of wireless interface between the gps unit and something in your helmet.  

As I said, really stupid on this subject matter, so a long, intuitive Jinkster type response would help out alot.

I like the Lowrance iway 500c, I liked the Garmin 276c/376c, I also liked the Garmin Streetpilot 2720/2730 (expensive but lots of features).  I would be looking to move this unit between both bikes and the truck.

I was reading some GPS comparision/reviews HERE

Also, do most all of these units readily adapt to a mount of some kind for the bike, something thats solid/stable?

TIA
Scott

Scott,
As far as hearing music in your helmet with a Chatterbox, yes it has to be wired to the helmet. I thought I heard something about Chatterbox going wireless in the future, but I don't think they are there yet. There are several brackets that you can purchase to attach your GPS, stem stands are one way to go. ICEMANN posted a mounting pad that he built a while back and I know there was a thread recently about anther member built mounting pad. I know that with the autocomm units, you can plug the GPS into the control unit and then you have one lead going from the control unit to your helmet. Currently, I ride with my MP3 player and cell phone plugged in and I have one unused lead to attach a GPS, rader detector or transciever. Hope some of this helps....

chatter box is releasing a new unit that is bluetooth. there is a unit that is hard wired to the bike with all the inputs and everything. It has a display screen and all the adjustments on it. It will hook your bluetooth phone to the unit with out wire and then everything else can be hooked up with a stereo head set cable.

Then there is a unit that is mounted to your helmet but there is no cords or anything for it. It just runs the single to the headphones mounted inside the helmet.

Its a nice unit just kinda pricey from what Im hearing.

Thanks guys, wasn't really sure. Not exactly sure if I want my head wired to my bars
laugh.gif
. Does the cord not get in the way or distract you or anything?

Back