GPS Discussion Re-re-re-re visited.

Adam G

Registered
So I know there has been much discussion on GPS units here on the forum. Some guys like inexpensive standard GPS units and have had great luck with them while others use some of the motorcycle specific ones and swear by them.

Last year I got a standard Garmin with a Ram Mount system for it, also got a waterproof USB from Pashnit that I wired into a switched power source. I am not happy with the GPS. Hard to see in the sun and it actually starting re-booting itself in mid ride. Thought maybe it was the power source but it did the same in my truck so I know that it is the unit itself.

So I am back in the market for a GPS. Wondering if there is anything new and exciting that anyone has tried? Not married to the motorcycle specific but not opposed to it either. Please let me know your first hand experience. Do not want to buy something that I am not happy with again.

GPS's are nearly becoming obsolete now with the SmartPhone technology and Apps for them. My phone does all my Navs now.

I'm not answering your question, but I have a $99 Tom Tom with a waterproof case and a 3RB USB port that plugged into the running lights for power. Still working. It can be a pain to see at times and that could be operator error as far as positioning the screen better.

Talltom is correct. I have a Zumo660 which still works great but I am thinking of switching to a smartphone because the nav apps are so much better. Don't worry about the sun and glare because you should never look at a GPS on a bike. Instead, invest in a good Bluetooth headset and then you are all connected through your smartphone for music, calls and GPS. While the Garmin I have has worked well even through several extended wet rides, I would never buy another one. Phones are just the better way to go these days.

I have a TomTom 550XXL in a water resistant case and am happy with it.

It is visible in sunlight after I selected a high contrast colors for the maps.

I would never use a phone for a GPS, because; most map apps use data and you are SOL if out of cell range, many phones will overheat with the screen on and in a waterproof case, and the biggest reason to not use a phone as a GPS, is phone touch screens don't work with most gloves or in a case like GPS touch screens will.

Smart phones work well if you plan to stay around civilization. They do you no good in the mountains and back roads. I would recommend something you can plan routes and add way points. Motorcycle specific also gives you options that you will not have with non motorcycle specific models. Makes sure what you get is water resistant and you can operate it with gloves. Many have bells and whistles, it will all depend on you budget and what you want.

I used, or tried to use my GPS at the Dragon and in that whole area. Half the time there was either no signal or it has no idea there was a road where my wheel were firmly planted on one.

The direct routes on main roads were no problem, say Robbins to Cherokee were fine, but get down into and through the hills and it was clueless.

I've been using the Garmin Zumo 390 and Its an awesome unit. I love that I can plot my own course and just follow the gps.

Zumo 665 here. I stream Sirius/XM all ride, and the GPS is flawless. Waterproof, vibration proof, etc. I'd never go back to a smartphone.

I also stream it to a Sena Bluetooth comm unit.

Back