Gen II with CF wheels on it ? Who's ridin' em ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Anybody put CF wheels on their Gen II. Dymag or BST ? How do they ride ?
How does it ride ? Noticeable difference in any certain areas ?

I love those Dymag 5 spoke carbon fiber wheels !
Best price I can find is Indysuperbike for $3086.
Anybody know where I can do better ? ???

you've got to pay to play. There's is a noticable difference when goin to CF wheels. You'll also need to readjust your suspension.

Here's a link that provides a ton of technical information regarding CF wheels.
BlackStone Tek

I could never rationalize CF wheels. Especially on a non track bike. Why not consider a nice set of forged aluminum wheels like Marchesini, Carrozzeria, or Galespeed? You'll still get the performance benefit of a much lighter wheel, they look awesome, and you will have a $1,000 left over to put towards other mods :thumbsup:

Regarding the CFs I am mostly dreamong but still may.
I was looking at magnesium wheels. From what I have seen the weight savings from OEM to aluminum are not that great. I see forged alum from like 1500 to 2500 and correct I would have 1k back but I don't see or cannot find real info on oem weight of wheels to compare to. I looked also at Marvic alum and mag wheels. Just seems that comparing weight to weight, CF to others and price as well if you are spending around 2k for wheels wait a little longer and buy CF.

Can anyone say or does anyone have exp going from forged alum or mag to CF. How much of an upgraded diff is there in that equation ? Was is worth the extra wait ? ???

This is our project bike but I wont get to ride it for another week or so. The fit and finish of the BST are amazing! :thumbsup:

temp-o 034b.jpg

Sims Busa Oct-09 005b.jpg

BST's are the best, I am running them on my '06 and the difference in handling including acceleration was amazing. I eliminated almost 21 lbs. of rotating mass and BST's really are the best, check with GPW on pricing. I got mine on sale for around $2700, you will need to buy a sprocket to go with it. Expensive but well worth it, keep your stock wheels and when you sell the bike put them back on and sell the CF wheels.

Forged alloy tends to be lighter than cast alloy,
cast magnesium tends to be lighter than forger alloy,
forged magnesium tends to be lighter than cast magnesium,
and lastly BST CF wheels takes things to the next level.

I have heard from several sources that changing tires on the BST wheels is very challenging. Apparently the shallow "dish" of the rim makes it challenging to get the bead over the rim. Does anyone know if special equipment or techniques are used to change the tires?

I have a guy who's been doing them on ducati's for years. He doesn't seem to have any problems or special techniques as far as I've seen. My rear rim is the wider race version and that hasn't effected his mounting technique either. I'm to worried about scuffing things to do it myself so I always leave the instal in his experienced hands.

check with GPW on pricing. I got mine on sale for around $2700

Sorry Who's GPW ? ???

$2700 was that recently ? That is the price you see for forged mag ? Good job ! :thumbsup:

The BSTs are that much lighter than the Dymag Carbons huh ?

According to the charts almost anything short of stock is better than the Dymag carbons ??? Were these charts prepared by BST ? And does anyone think they may be a little skewed against the only real competition which would be another carbon by Dymag ?

Not doubting , just asking, good charts though. Thank you:beerchug:

Now I wants me sum BSTs ! Duders :thumbsup:

Numbers are numbers. If it was a marketing tool I would think the results would be more vaggue. Also I've heald in my hands the dymags and the BST. The BST felt alot lighter. The weight difference could be attributed to many reasons such as different construction process, etc. The design are different and the hubs are different as well. All these differences can contribute to the large variance.

Well ****......ake mushrooms ! Now I have to ask do you think the BSTs are worth $700 more than the Dymags ? That is the closest I can come to matching the two number wise ? $3086 as compared to at least $3700 from Schnitz but Schnitz is giving you free ceramics !

Does anyone know what happened to the printout of the first set of wheels I started looking at? I think they were $1495 ?:rofl:

:laugh: it really comes down to your budget. Most are happy forged alloy wheels. If yo've got enough to pony up for CF wheels the alternate idea would be to still go alloy and dump the rest into the suspension (not to throw another variable into your plan). :laugh:

ive personally ridden a gsxr1000 k8 with the bst wheels on,and they feel wooden! like the turn in is really neutral compared to stock wheels.but when the bike was on its ear,it kept goin down! really funny to get used to but well worth the performance benefit ONLY if you like the occasional trackday.if not just spend the money on galespeeds and some other mods.thats my opinion.:thumbsup:

Back