Gen II - What (if anything) is wrong with these pics?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
So now that I'm doing a little wrenching on my bike, I get nervous that I'm doing something wrong and too stupid to recognize it. The below pics are of my rear axel, can someone explain (@14K miles) why there would appear to be uneven wear one side of it? The pics are as I rotate it to see the difference. Is my chain not adjusted evenly?

In addition, look at how much thread (4) is showing on the axel nut when torqued down to 68 ft/lbs (manual says 72.5) after replacing tire and putting back on bike. I'm not missing any parts and it looks right by the service manual, but makes me wonder. pls go compare to your GenII and report back.

Thanks!

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

pics all look good to me! that is normal wear and tear to the best of my knowledge

Doesn't look abnormal. Just remember to wipe the axle down and put a thin coat of grease onto the axle upon re installation.

Doesn't look abnormal. Just remember to wipe the axle down and put a thin coat of grease onto the axle upon re installation.

as above:thumbsup:

do make sure you use a torque wrench and follow the manual if your new to wrenching etc as its very easy to over tighten things when your not used to bike nuts and bolts !!

most people think all bolts should be as tight as the cars wheel nuts when they first start :banghead:

Just had mine a part and it looks a lot better than that, but I ride super easy.

Looks like all your spacers are in...the only one we can't see by the pics is the one between the sprocket and wheel.

I did

Yeap, I just wipe and then coat it with Belray waterproof grease.

That's what I use

Looks like all your spacers are in...the only one we can't see by the pics is the one between the sprocket and wheel.

It's there.

I'm going to check and see if maybe my chain tighteners are out of line. I've done this several times, but not often enough to be confident I've got it right, and I start doubting myself. Tuf has shown me every place to put (and not put) grease but I can't remember sometimes...Just glad to have fresh rubber.

I'm sure you know this, but don't forget to make sure the rear wheel/axle is pushed all the way forward and against both chain adjusters before you tighten the axle nut. Your chain slack will allow for a little movement before the axle is torqued down. Then, assuming the chain adjusters are aligned with each other, your rear wheel will also be in alignment with the rest of the bike.

How many total miles on the bike? And, since the previous owner had done work on the wheels, are you sure that's the original axle? Maybe it came from another bike with higher mileage...?

I'm sure you know this, but don't forget to make sure the rear wheel/axle is pushed all the way forward and against both chain adjusters before you tighten the axle nut. Your chain slack will allow for a little movement before the axle is torqued down. Then, assuming the chain adjusters are aligned with each other, your rear wheel will also be in alignment with the rest of the bike.

How many total miles on the bike? And, since the previous owner had done work on the wheels, are you sure that's the original axle? Maybe it came from another bike with higher mileage...?

I put a screwdriver in the chain and rolled it around the sprocket to get it tight while I tightened the axle bolt. About 14K miles and it's the Original axle.

I put a screwdriver in the chain and rolled it around the sprocket to get it tight while I tightened the axle bolt. About 14K miles and it's the Original axle.

I've never tried it that way. I always just push the wheel forward until I feel it hit the adjusters on both sides, then hold it in place while I tighten the axle nut. That way, as long as the adjusters are even, the wheel is straight. Is there a "proper" way to do it?

I've got me a spanner to measure with tonight and see if they are even or not.

The discoloring of the chain is from the plastic chain guard on the swingarm. Normal for sure, but a little cleaning will take it off.

Everyone says the axle and bearings look good but i might disagree. In the first and last picture of the axle it looks like there is some galling of the metal axle where the inner race rides. The bearing should be spinning the balls between the inner and outer races not spinning the inner race on the axle shaft enough to cause the galling of the metal. Slight wear marks on the axle where the bearings seat is normal but the galling indicates that the bearing is seizing up at times and being forced to spin on the axle shaft and that not right. Unless what I think I'm seeing is just dirt, grease and gunk, I'd replace those bearings now and try to sand the galled spots on the axle with a little emery paper.

Everyone says the axle and bearings look good but i might disagree. In the first and last picture of the axle it looks like there is some galling of the metal axle where the inner race rides. The bearing should be spinning the balls between the inner and outer races not spinning the inner race on the axle shaft enough to cause the galling of the metal. Slight wear marks on the axle where the bearings seat is normal but the galling indicates that the bearing is seizing up at times and being forced to spin on the axle shaft and that not right. Unless what I think I'm seeing is just dirt, grease and gunk, I'd replace those bearings now and try to sand the galled spots on the axle with a little emery paper.

Thank you for your detailed analysis. After measuring with a caliper, it's showing that the adjusters are lined up. I took those pics AFTER I cleaned up that axle. That's not dirt/grease/junk...

Back