Chain adjustment question

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
Ok I need to tighten my chain. I have read the owners manual and it says to do it on the side-stand. I have also read a good post about making sure the axel was correctly aligned. In the post (an owner's manual) it said that chain adjustment was to be done on the side stand. Yet the axel alignment was to be done on a paddock stand.

My question is: Is there any harm or anything wrong with adjusting the chain on a paddock stand and ensuring the axel is aligned correctly at the same time?

Thanks

I always adjust mine on my rear stand. I could care less what the book says. I use a dial caliper to get good accuracy.

You can do it on a rear stand or the side stand...I prefer the rear stand :thumbsup:

Just make sure the alignment marks line up on both sides :beerchug:

I always use the rear stand.
Yes alignment is very important.
I use this tool and it is AWESOME !!
You can adjust it to within a paper thickness of perfect.

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOM...ls&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

lg243629586.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I figured the book talked about the side-stand because not everyone owns a paddock stand.

Thanks again.....

Now I have a question. Does the mesurement for the amount of slack differ if you are adjusting on the side stand or on the rear stand?

Not to my knowledge.
I assume the weight of the rear of the bike would be less (raised up a little higher in the rear) when on the sidestand.
I think it should be adjusted with all of the weight of the bike on it ( rear stand)
The alignment is more crucail than this small difference.

I did it on the side stand and now that I have a rear stand I use that but.....call me stupid , but what is a "paddock stand"???

The big deal about adjusting the chain on the side stand is from the optional, bolt on, center stand suzuki sells for the Hayabusa..http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accesso...essoryId=96a7f8cd-9e1a-46b2-8bec-f61ce1ef46d1
If you adjusted the chain with the rear wheel completly unloaded on this center stand then put the bike back on the ground the chain would be way tight.

Good explaination, thanks!
He is right, the wheel has to be under load, which a rear stand will give you.

I actually sit on the bike and reach down to check the tension on the chain. I'm just testing to see if the chain will last longer than they have in the past.

--Wag--

Back