Gen II - What (if anything) is wrong with these pics?

Thank you for your detailed analysis. After measuring with a caliper, it's showing that the adjusters are lined up. I took those pics AFTER I cleaned up that axle. That's not dirt/grease/junk...
Then a couple of those bearings are getting real tight and starting to seize and then they are spinning on the axle shaft instead of rolling on them selves the way a bearing should. Change them out before your rear wheel locks up on you and bad stuff happens. Kinda surprised no one else saw those marks?

I havent read all the replies, but I have about the same amount of threads showing (4) on mine. And you were right, those 016's are not pro's. That second set I have (that will hopefully be mounted tomorrow) are the pro's. The tread is the same, only way to tell is a small "pro" stamped in the tire.

I'm gonna remove that rear wheel in a day or so and spin that inner bearing with my fingers and see if I feel anything.

According to the parts manuals, It takes a total of 3 bearings and two dust seals for a complete bearing swap out. 2 of the bearings are identical, but all the other parts are different numbers....

the bearings dont fit super tight to the shaft. They will have a little slippage as they are not pressed on the shaft. What he has is completely normal.

It really looks like a bearing may be spinning in the wheel, or locking on the axle!

the bearings dont fit super tight to the shaft. They will have a little slippage as they are not pressed on the shaft. What he has is completely normal.

your 100% right, the shaft is going to be 0.001"-0.010" smaller than the inner race of the bearing so that you can slide the axel though the bearings, even with new bearings a little bit of wear is going to happen being that the bearing is going to spin in the path of least resistance. I would put my money that those were marks where on the bottom side of the axel as well. If you are really concerned you could put a very thin layer of Loctite 680 on the inner race of the bearing which would stop it from spinning, but this is something I would not due to my own bike. Also the easiest way to check if your bearings are worn it is spin the wheel with the axel torqued to spec with the chain off to feel and listen for rough spots and to also hold the wheel at opposite ends (12:00 and 6:00 positions) and try to feel for (lack of better words) side to side movement.

I have spun it on the stand and don't notice any 'catching'.

If you look at the pics carefully (as the axle can only go it TWO ways), I believe this wear is on the FRONT of the axle, but maybe the rear.

I have spun it on the stand and don't notice any 'catching'.

If you look at the pics carefully (as the axle can only go it TWO ways), I believe this wear is on the FRONT of the axle, but maybe the rear.

I responded back to you in the other thread, but just in case give me a call

419-891-1230 x2

Thanks for the fast response and great talking to you Justin!!

Everyone says the axle and bearings look good but i might disagree. In the first and last picture of the axle it looks like there is some galling of the metal axle where the inner race rides. The bearing should be spinning the balls between the inner and outer races not spinning the inner race on the axle shaft enough to cause the galling of the metal. Slight wear marks on the axle where the bearings seat is normal but the galling indicates that the bearing is seizing up at times and being forced to spin on the axle shaft and that not right. Unless what I think I'm seeing is just dirt, grease and gunk, I'd replace those bearings now and try to sand the galled spots on the axle with a little emery paper.
Very good observation

Justin's getting me the parts and I'm going to replace the bearings and axle just to be on the safe side..

Good plan. That's what I'd do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Skydivr, I replaced my rear axle on my 08 at 35k. I got it from motorcycleparts2u for 20 Bucs new. FYI

TEAM GIXXER will be pitted right beside the food truck (yep, we know how to P-A-R-T-Y) You can get there just in time to watch Tiller cry when I spank him again :spank: :stirpot:

Back