Rear axle nut torque

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Chain tightening today...I've got my trusty torque wrench set for 72.5 lbs, slightly tighten and increase pressure and the familiar torque wrench "pop" lets me know I'm there.

I look down to reinstall cotter pin and I'm spaced in the middle. Hmmm...guess crank it a tad tighter to line up the holes.

After linning up the holes I decide to measure torque...it's over 90lbs. (Haven't tried a hundred yet).

Well the 72.5 ft lbs seems pretty darn specific in the manual and the last thing I want to f up on the busa is something in the rear end. What happens to all the bearing if overtorqued, is this a big no-no or just keep undoing it and rethreading it till I get closer??

I didn't like that 90+ lb feeling so I backed it back off and retorqued it. Heard the "pop" at 72.5lbs and it was dead on over the cotter pin hole.
idea.gif

Remember there are 2 different holes you can slide the cotter pin into.

What size cotter pin should be used..? I tried measuring the old one and it looks like it's about 3/16 by 1 1/2 inches. The manual says to never reuse a cotter pin. Well, I don't have a box of the things sitting around, but if I knew the actual size I could order some. Anyone know..?

Justntym,
I had the same problem. Mine was just a little misaligned. I tightened just a tad more and lined up the holes. Measured it and it was at about 78. I decided that was probably ok, if the tolerances were closer than 5.5 ftlbs there would be a lot more problems with these bikes.

400 miles later and no probs.

Don

The manual says to never reuse a cotter pin. [/QUOTE]
The manual is full of crap...
I reuse mine and never have a problem.

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148229146 -->

Better to back off a tad to line up the cotter pin than to Over torque the nut to line up the hole.

As for the Manual Being full of crap? Fug me Whatever, it's a .50 cent part.

How about just replacing the damn thing and knowing your doing it right, as apposed to Backyard Engineering it and have a fatigued .50 cent part let you down out in the middle of BFE???

Yeah the manual is written by the Lawyers, but it's still not a bad idea...

In a pinch, I'll use a cotter pin twice. Just never bend over the same leg more than once. I prefer to replace every time.

With a aftermarket 27 cent Ace Hardware reusable Cotter Pin Pull System, you should be able to obtain the 72.5 lbs desired.

<!--EDIT|TIMMYDUCK
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148256295 -->

IMG_0391.JPG

rock.gif

I thought the manual called for 100Nm, or equally converted 50 Ft Lbs per OEM torque specs.

I run CZ wheels, and was instructed to run only 50% of OEM Torque Specs, so I run 50Nm front & Rear with no issues at all. 72.5 Ft Lbs sounds like a heck of a lot of torque....I havent looked at the manual for a few months, but 72.5 Ft Lbs doesn't sound right, but correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have trouble with the pin, just put a nail in the hole with the head up, gravity will hold it in.

maybe

72.5 ft lbs is correct.

(100Nm/72.5 ft lbs)

I'll tell you what, when I tightened my chain the first time...I almost busted a nut trying to get the axle loose...it was a lot more than 72.5...I almost couldn't do it with everything I had, it was seriously tight.

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148259018 -->

Ok, just looked in the Manual, and it says 100 Nm, so I guess that is 72.5 / 75 Ft Lbs of Torque. I'm not sure what I was thinking Since I torque mine to 50 Nm, or 35 Ft Lbs (Non-OEM spec's per CZ instruction) - my fault...Duh, Guess I will just go back to being sick & reading.
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148259601 -->

Back