Tightening Oil Filter

steatki4

Registered
Just turned 2,200 miles on the 08 Busa, 2nd oil change is being done by myself instead of dealer.

I've usually hand-tightened these babies with other bike.

However, the Service Manual says not to hand-tighten and to use specialty wrench and tighten to 14.5 ft. lbs.

What's been people's experience??

I just use and oil wrench and tighten till I know it's right :laugh:

Hope that helps lol. 14.5 sounds about right. I just tighten till I know the O ring is nice an squeezed and I know it won't back off. Just don't over tighten.

Hand tight is fine, I typically put a little oil on the ring and turn about 1/8 past where its snug...

I oil up the o-ring and hand tighten mine as well. Also I don't pop the fairing off, I just open the bottom and pull the fairing away to reach in and get the filter.

Clearly, hand-tightening works for most people. I've never trusted myself quite enough for that, so I just use the torque wrench to be certain.

While we're on the topic of oil changes, you definitely want to use a torque wrench on the drain plug. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard of guys stripping the pan threads on these bikes.

Clearly, hand-tightening works for most people. I've never trusted myself quite enough for that, so I just use the torque wrench to be certain.

While we're on the topic of oil changes, you definitely want to use a torque wrench on the drain plug. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard of guys stripping the pan threads on these bikes.

This is only great advice when using a high qaulity torque wrench and its been calibrated within manufacture specs such as a Snapon, Matco, etc. and if they use the tool properly.
Ive heard many times of people stripping aluminum oil pans with steel thread bolts while using a torque wrench. Bottom line is, if you dont have the feel when tightening hardware dont attempt it or have a backup oil pan with a gasket on standby cause sooner or later you will go past the point of tight.

The sealing ring on the filter is cut round,just like a simple o-ring.The Japanese give a torque spec cause they want it tightened til the filter base touches the filter housing.Not the case with a square cut seal.And yes by all means oil the ring before installing.

Hand tighten until the o ring is in contact with the "base". Then tighten it 2 turns.

Here's how:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is only great advice when using a high qaulity torque wrench and its been calibrated within manufacture specs such as a Snapon, Matco, etc. and if they use the tool properly.
Ive heard many times of people stripping aluminum oil pans with steel thread bolts while using a torque wrench. Bottom line is, if you dont have the feel when tightening hardware dont attempt it or have a backup oil pan with a gasket on standby cause sooner or later you will go past the point of tight.

That is a very good point.

Back