Oil Filter

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
Changed the oil filter today... The manual says to tighten the oil filter two full turns passed contact. As soon as I made visual contact, I could only tighten it for a 1 turn not two.

I usually just snug up the filter so its tight? Anyone have some advice on this?

Cloud

The threads are so fine that two full turns isn't that much. I turned it until I first felt resistance and then turned it two full turns just like the specs say. It was good and tight and wouldn't have turned much further but it was not that hard to get it where it's supposed to be. Are you using a filter wrench or just your hands. I don't think you'd ever get two full turns past contact with your hands...  :super:

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066177311 -->

Thanks BT... I am using the suzuki oil wrench cap. You think I am good just snugging it up with the wrench?

Cloud

I don't know, man. I try to go by spec on it. If it loosens and oils your back tire I think you'll wish you had, too. I'm not trying to be a goober, just saying that I prefer to follow spec on it. I'd hate to see you post about oiling the rear tire and going down.

b y hand once i cant turn it any more i stop. its always worked for me but my filters only last about 8 to 10 passes.

i guess im a dunce on this i tighten all my filters by hand 9 vehicles right now (6 for business) and never a leak, including the busa. once torqued down a filter on a truck and then had to cut it off, never again. use commen sense i got 1 1/2 turns on the bus.

Back