Gen 2 ecu pinout?

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone got one or can direct me to where to find it in the service manual?

My fuel gauge has stopped working and the last thing I did was installed Woolrich system which requires messing with the ecu pins. Previously the whole dash stopped working and went back and pushed all the pins in and got the dash working. Didn't realize the fuel gauge was down because tank was full.

If there is not a pin for fuel gauge I'll have to pull the pump and start troubleshooting there.

With fuel pump connected gauge sweeps and stops at full. With pump disconnected it sweeps and stops at empty. Believe this tells me gauge is OK.

So I know what it is but just learned from reading the manual that it would be used as an automotive tool.

So it is what it sounds like, a resistor where the resistance can be changed. A "pot", a potentiometer, like the analog volume dial on an old radio, does this. One could take any pot that measures within the manual's range and use it. It would be difficult to set it to the exact values in the book though. Again I just learned this, they must have one for automotive techs that has precise settings. I found the attached. It makes sense that it takes 10 turns as that would allow a fine adjustment of the resistance to match the values in the manual.

1690395678605.png

fuel gauge goes from dash, to fuel level sensor directly, doesn't go to ECU at all. Black/green or teal wire at the 3 pin connector for fuel pump. yes variable resistor, somewhere in the 20-220 ohm range i forget exactly from full to empty or vice versa, the wire with no load on it will float up to 12V (maybe 5 i forget on stock dash setup) and go down in voltage depending on fuel level

9A-4 Wiring Systems - Electrical Diagram with Combination Meter (upper left) and ECU.

Also:

In 9C-5 Combination Meter / Fuel Meter / Horn, under Fuel Meter Inspection

It includes tests between the gauge and fuel pump to test each 1/4 tank increment with a variable resistor.
I can't trace the wires through that schematic. I need an actual pinout diagram. I've seen them here for gen 1 but can't find gen 2

fuel gauge goes from dash, to fuel level sensor directly, doesn't go to ECU at all. Black/green or teal wire at the 3 pin connector for fuel pump. yes variable resistor, somewhere in the 20-220 ohm range i forget exactly from full to empty or vice versa, the wire with no load on it will float up to 12V (maybe 5 i forget on stock dash setup) and go down in voltage depending on fuel level
OK, if it doesn't go to the ecu then my level sensor must be bad.

OK, will be doing this job in the next day or two. Service manual says remove tank and remove pump. Guessing the best procedure is to drain the tank and lay it upside down on something soft, maybe an old pillow, and go from there. Once I get it out I will check the resistance per service manual. Any tips for getting it out or is it pretty straightforward?

Seems to indicate an open circuit. With the fact that the gauge sweeps and freezes on full when I turn key on with harness connected and sweeps then goes to empty with harness disconnected seems to me to point to a bad level sensor.

Wish it hadn't happened right after I did Woolrich install so I could be more certain that I haven't pulled something loose or otherwise screwed up.

Just rechecked it, possibly I didn't have the leads on the pins well. I was able to get it to read 1.1 ohms

Back