Will later GSXR1000 gauges plug and play with a 2012 Busa ECU?

Kayaker43

Registered
Building a Dune buggy and the humongous Busa gauges won't fit the little dash. I heard later GSXR100's had the 32bit ECU and might work with the Gen2 Busa? There seems to be two gauge sets that might work 07-08 and 2009 and later.

Can anyone confirm these assumptions before I spend the money? Also I have a 2012 Hayabusa gauge set with 1300 miles for sale if this works out.

What year busa engine do you have?
The ecu's from 99-00 are the same, then the 01, and the 02-07 are the same.
The 08 to 14 are also the same. None of them interchange outside the listed years.
You can use gsxr gauges too, but they will not plug directly in.
You will have to download the service manual for the year of your engine, and the year of which gauges you will try to use.
Use the wiring diagrams for pin locations.

I have a 2012 and don't mind messing with pin outs to make it work. The Gen 2 is a 32 bit ecu but I heard the GSXR's used that a year earlier starting in 07. I assume/hope anything after 07 will work but would like to hear it from others before spending the bucks.

Also the GSXR's have one gauge style for 07-08 and another for 09 and up. The later group may have the mode switches while the earlier doesnt, but I don't know?? I would prefer the 07-08 gauges because they are more available and cheaper.

The 09 and later gsxr1000 has the mode switch. I haven't ridden an 07/08 gsxr in several years, but I don't think they had the mode switch(I can't remember).
The mode switch is pretty useless; why cut the power? The engine/ecu defaults to A mode(full power) every start-up anyway.
It's also beneficial to have the ecu flashed with Ecu Editor or Woolrich Racing software. You can remove the 1st through 4th gear lower rpm timing restrictions and the top speed limiter, as well as copy/paste the secondary throttle plate opening rate from 1st/5th to all other gears.
You can buy aftermarket gauges too, so re-pinning to an older gsxr is not a problem, I have seen it done.
Here is a link for service manuals to the Busas and gsxr's.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/158939-service-manual.html

All good news,... I will be using ECU Editor to do the things you mention plus turning off the ram air compensation. I'll go with the 07-08 gauges then because I don't care about the mode switch. Thanks for the link

Regarding the link above for downloading service manuals

Beware, the file I downloaded also came with a free trojan horse virus. This site makes you install a new PDF reader whether you have one or not. It then tries to get you to install toolbars and other software. The virus came from the PDF reader so I deleted and never got the manual.

Regarding the link above for downloading service manuals

Beware, the file I downloaded also came with a free trojan horse virus. This site makes you install a new PDF reader whether you have one or not. It then tries to get you to install toolbars and other software. The virus came from the PDF reader so I deleted and never got the manual.

That sucks, many of us have used it the last few years with no issues at all.

What about Bking clocks.

+1, that's a good idea.
Just make sure to check "B-King gauges" under the advanced settings in Ecu-Editor when you flash the ecu.
A B-King or Busa ecu will work in either bike and either will run fine(even though the timing, stp's, ect, are different)and either ecu can be flashed to the other as they are physically the same; but the gauges won't work from one to the other unless you flash the ecu to do so.

I can't say for sure, but re-pinning is still likely with B-King gauges. But no big deal either way.

The GSXR1000 gauge is very compact and fits our dash perfectly. I already got one off ebay so hopefully it will work. Thanks for everyones help.

Back