Help! Gauge pinout

Dehning

Registered
I have spent the last 3 hours searching the web and looking through every manual I have and I can not find a definitive pinout for my 2003 Busa's gauge cluster. All I want to know is the pin number, color and function along with a way to clearly identify where the pins are in the connector.

I have been trying to fix my speedometer, I have replaced the sensor, checked continuity of the 3 cables, replaced the gauge cluster, reset both the gauge clusters and I still don't get a speed reading, tach and all other gauges work fine.

I have the GSXR750 pinouts, but they are not the same.

If I have missed it somewhere obvious then I'll take my licks, but PLEASE, help a guy out here! :bowdown:

I don't know the pin outs, but if you can locate the wires, this will tell you which is which, and you may be able to trace them to their pins.
Look at "instrument cluster" (top left)
Good luck!

Attachments

• K3 & K4 Left.pdf
    712.2 KB · Views: 1,565
I have this document but it doesn't tell me which pins are which function / color.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, if somebody could even just shoot a high res photo or even write down the color codes and how they are arranged in the plug, I would be highly grateful.

In case anybody is intrested, after much testing and comparing of notes, I have compiled this diagram which I'm fairly sure is correct for my 2003.

2003 Dash Pinout.jpg

Just an update:
On my second attempt, I managed to get the plug on my '03 pinned correctly to work with an '01 GSXR gauge cluster, even the "CHECK" warning went away after the bike started. Tach and Speedo appear to be working.
I'm going to attempt to build a new gauge cluster bezzel that will allow me to center the GSXR tach and also put a gear indicator display to the left of it.

The biggest single "Eureka" moment for me was realizing that the pin lables on the gauges don't match those on the plug! :cheerleader:

On a related subject: Does anybody know how to change the stored odometer reading without sending it to somebody? The GSXR gauges have way higher miles than my bike actually has.

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, you could use a wave generator to "fake" the cluster in to adding miles until it rolled-over and then go to what reading you want.

You would just have to power up the cluster and then send a +5V (not sure on the voltage here - would have to probably put a scope on the actual sensor wire to get the voltage reading) signal - probably a square wave - to the speedo sensor wire. Just let it run...I bet your odometer increments...the faster the wave, the faster your speedo and odo move.

Last edited:
Did you change the needle or faces? I know on mine I changed both and my gas needle doesn't work like it should. The place I took it to said its because of the way the needles are put together in the cluster.

Did you change the needle or faces? I know on mine I changed both and my gas needle doesn't work like it should. The place I took it to said its because of the way the needles are put together in the cluster.

I don't follow, the GSXR gauge doesn't have a gas gauge needle ?

Update: I'm very surprised, everything works except the gas LED seems to be backwards. Speed, tach, blinkers, high beam, temperature etc. all work. Even the CHECK warning goes out once the fuel pump primes. The fuel LED seems to stay lit till the fuel level gets closer to empty then it goes out.

Funny thing is that the GSXR gauges require pin 2 to be 12v constant, the only pin coming out of the Hayabusa harness that gives 12v constant is the Red with Blue stripe which goes goes through the "Fuel Pump" fuse in the fusebox. It works great but I'm going to have to investigate a little further.:thumbsup:

I guess next I'm going to try fabricating a more elegant mount that fills in some of the gaps.

gsxrcluster.jpg

Update: I'm very surprised, everything works except the gas LED seems to be backwards. Speed, tach, blinkers, high beam, temperature etc. all work. Even the CHECK warning goes out once the fuel pump primes. The fuel LED seems to stay lit till the fuel level gets closer to empty then it goes out.

Funny thing is that the GSXR gauges require pin 2 to be 12v constant, the only pin coming out of the Hayabusa harness that gives 12v constant is the Red with Blue stripe which goes goes through the "Fuel Pump" fuse in the fusebox. It works great but I'm going to have to investigate a little further.:thumbsup:

I guess next I'm going to try fabricating a more elegant mount that fills in some of the gaps.

View attachment 1536868

Yes I'm reviving this thread.
I have a k7 1000 cluster coming and have figured all the wiring. Question for u is...
Have u been able to wire In operation of ur 'code checking' function and proper FI light? If so, which pin # on ur cluster was it?
did u ever reverse the fuel issue?
Does ur shift light operate normally? Programmable and all?
Does the coolant temp read digitally now as well as speedo?

This all seems so cool to me.
Anything else u can tell me? I'm pretty advanced with wiring but seems like a lil trial an error is in order..
Thank you

Yes I'm reviving this thread.
I have a k7 1000 cluster coming and have figured all the wiring. Question for u is...
Have u been able to wire In operation of ur 'code checking' function and proper FI light? If so, which pin # on ur cluster was it?
did u ever reverse the fuel issue?
Does ur shift light operate normally? Programmable and all?
Does the coolant temp read digitally now as well as speedo?

This all seems so cool to me.
Anything else u can tell me? I'm pretty advanced with wiring but seems like a lil trial an error is in order..
Thank you
That is soooooo cool!
The pic of that GSXR cluster in the Busa dash looks amazing, I love it!
This could well be the latest trick mod to get done on our Busas.
Frickin BRILLIANT!!

That is soooooo cool!
The pic of that GSXR cluster in the Busa dash looks amazing, I love it!
This could well be the latest trick mod to get done on our Busas.
Frickin BRILLIANT!!
You know that's not my bike in any of those pics right? Lol I'm not a chrome kinda guy.
But yes, Its gonna be dank! I haven't gotten the k7 cluster in yet, but when I do I'll make a new refreshed thread about it.
I'm making her a streetfighter. Ordered a sweet DOT headlight assembly with some fork mounted switchback LEDs tubes.
The k7 gauge cluster will be topping it off

You know that's not my bike in any of those pics right? Lol I'm not a chrome kinda guy.
But yes, Its gonna be dank! I haven't gotten the k7 cluster in yet, but when I do I'll make a new refreshed thread about it.
I'm making her a streetfighter. Ordered a sweet DOT headlight assembly with some fork mounted switchback LEDs tubes.
The k7 gauge cluster will be topping it off
Yeah yeah, I know that was the other dudes bike from the 2010 thread, but a streetfighter Busa?? Wow . . . what can I say? I can not wait to see this monster ! Can you send a link or post a pic of the headlamp assembly for the drooling pleasure please?
BTW, call me ol' fashioned but WTH is "dank"? lmao. :poke:

Yeah yeah, I know that was the other dudes bike from the 2010 thread, but a streetfighter Busa?? Wow . . . what can I say? I can not wait to see this monster ! Can you send a link or post a pic of the headlamp assembly for the drooling pleasure please?
BTW, call me ol' fashioned but WTH is "dank"? lmao. :poke:

Dank is another adjective for freaking awesome Haha

Screenshot_20180828-222811_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20180829-122828_eBay.jpg

And here are the lights.
I'm just worried about how windy its gonna be, but I guess people put up with all the time successfully.

Here is the gauge cluster
Screenshot_20180829-123118_eBay.jpg

Back