Fuel Gauge Problem

badbobdcop

Registered
Have a 2008 and this is the first problem. My fuel gauge is stuck on full. I have disconnected the battery and tried everything I can think of. The gauge sweeps through the range as it should and then goes to full. The gauge cluster was off several months ago when the bike was in for the recall. It has worked perfectly since the recall until yesterday. I did a search and there doesn't seem to be a thread on this problem. Other than a battery tender there are no modifications to the electrical system. I looked in the manual and the general solution is to replace the sending unit. Has anybody had this happen? Is there a solution other than replacing the unit?

maybe u never have to fuel up again, lol. sorry cant help ya. But did u try hitting it, it worked on my old bmw.

Had a problem with mine sticking ( But after I had the New gauge faces put on ) I took the gauges off, Took then apart ( Real easy to do ) Then removed the needle itself, I think think the needle was either in too far or not far enough, But after I replaced the needle, No more problems

If your going to do this make sure you have a full tank of gas, This way when you turn on the key and your gauges reset you can just set the needle to full.

I have had a couple weird issues with my gauges. If you unhook the battery the clock in the instrument panel stays on for a bit. I think there is a capacitor or something to hold voltage for a short time. Did you leave the battery unhooked for awhile or just shortly? I left mine off for about 5 minutes and haven't had any issues since. Good luck...

If I recall correctly you stated on start up the gauge sweeps normally. In the online manuals you should be able to find troubleshooting instructions for this. If it's under warranty take it in. Good luck. Sounds like the sending unit. Not familiar with what they're using, if trash in the gas could cause it to hang, etc.

^ good connections...
If there was work done on it recently that involved lifting the tank, I would check the connection at the bottom of the tank to make sure one of the wires didn't get pulled out of the connector. This can happen when someone lifts the tank back too far. It's worth a shot.... You may have to unplug the connector actually see the pin recessed in the plug assembly.

Regardless, let us know what you find.

This happened to me 2 days ago. The odometer read 124km but the tank was half empty. Topped it off then rode some more & it stayed at full. Today I've topped it off at half tank again but the problem persist. There seems nothing wrong with the start up diagnostics & no work/mods has been done to my Busa other than HARD RIDING!

Done only 4300km on my Busa & so much has gone wrong (TPS, Camshaft Sensor, Battery, Rectifier) but covered under warranty. Am currently waiting for a replacement headlamp as my mine has fingerprints on the crystal projector ball since new. Starting to think they rushed the Gen II out just to snip the ZX14 in the butt.

Last edited:
Remove the cluster and re install it and see if that helps!

Sorry I havent followed up on this thread. The fuel gauge is a little complicated. This is the best diagonsis and experience I can give. If on normal key on sequence the gauge sweeps through a full range (empty to full) the gauge is probably good. The sending unit is now suspect. Raise the tank and unplug the unit. The gauge should now go to empty. Now the sending unit is more suspect.
The next part is just my suggestion. In some vehicles (most noted is the Corvette) the sending unit can get messed up by gasoline with too high a sulfur content. The quick fix is a tank of good pump gas (Chevron recommended) and a bottle of Techrolene fuel injector cleaner. I know this sounds like snake oil but it worked in my Corvette.
Unfortunately for me my sending unit had to be replaced as a factory defect. Had it back in two days.

Hi guys,

I know it's a couple of years ago now since this post was last commented on, but after lots of searching on here it's the nearest I could find to my problem with my fuel gauge. I'm considering using "sending unit 2" (I have two) and re-sitting the needle 50% lower than it currently is. But before doing anything dramatic, I wondered if you could spend 5 minutes reading below and offering any advice please? All the below was done on an empty tank...

Sending unit 1:

Connected to loom --> Switch ignition on --> Gauge goes to half full --> Gauge drops to empty --> Dials go to full --> Dials drop to 0 --> Gauge goes to the full position

This happened when the unit was inside the empty tank, regardless of which way the unit was sitting.

When the unit was disconnected from the loom, this is what happened...

Switch ignition on --> Gauge goes to half full --> Gauge drops to empty --> Dials go to full --> Dials drop to 0 --> Gauge stays at empty and reserve light comes on.

When the gauge is reconnected with the ignition on, there is no change. I believe this unit is faulty.

Sending unit 2:

Switch ignition on --> Gauge goes to half full --> Dials go to full--> Gauge drops to empty --> Dials drop to 0 --> Gauge goes to half full and reserve light

comes on.

This was done whilst the unit was out of the tank. Is it possible to test this way, or does there have to be some pressure against the unit for it to work properly?

I then held the unit's float upright...

Switch ignition on --> Gauge goes to off the clock (i.e. 50% higher than full --> Release the float --> Gauge drops to 50% and light comes on after 3 minutes

For this reason, I think the unit is working, but reading 50% higher than actual value. Feel free to laugh at that...!

So, any help or advice would really be appreciated, (common wiring or unit faults, blown fuses etc.). Surely I can't be the only one this has happened to...?

Many thanks in advance.

Back