gears

baleibec

Donating Member
Registered
i was thinking about changing my bikes gearing up on the front or down in the rear (possibly both), to match my riding style. has any of ya done this? most people go down 1 in front up 3 in the rear for acceleration, i was thinking that taller gears would be good in corners as well as max speed, i dont drag race any. just looking for some feedback. thanks

Well, From the sound of the style of riding you do...i would recommend only going -1 on the counter(front) MAX! The 08 is geared very high IMO, 6th is really an over OVER drive! The front sprocket is alot cheaper than the rear, and for a NON-dragracer....Should be about right. This will give you some good get up&go, but wont sacrifice too much for the long streches.

I like to make the changes at the rear{more expensive though} going down in the front puts a little more stress on your chain with the tighter turn over.

I've done the -1 on the counter sprocket with all five of my bikes(cbr900,r1,zx12r,busa)and almost everyone i ride with also has this done, and NEVER have had an issue. Now maybe if you started going -2 or more, then i think you would start running into problems. Just my :2cents:

thanks guys, but i was wondering if anyone has ever added a tooth to the front or took away teeth from the rear? its not the normal thing, i was just currious if anyone has tried it???

thanks guys, but i was wondering if anyone has ever added a tooth to the front or took away teeth from the rear? its not the normal thing, i was just currious if anyone has tried it???

Oh..... You headed to the salt flats ??? I personally dont know why you'd even want to do that, the 08 busa will hit the top speed limiter in 5th GEAR! So why do you want more gear in it?

I've always went down 1T front on previous bikes, and also up 2 or 3T rear on some bikes. The Busa 08 does not need this as I can feel, it is very strong also on 6th and shows no signs to me of over-gear. It would be easier to make wheelies on 2nd with another gearing but I feel it can't really take more tourque on the rear wheel without risking wheel spin on lower gears.

I was wondering the same thing. I ride aggressively every once in a while but I would like it to be in lower revs on the highway. I thought about dropping two off of the back so I could replace the ugly factory sprocket with a nice pretty black one. I think even if you added one to the front and dropped two off of the back you would still have enough a$$ to do every thing you ever wanted on this beast (except maybe wheelies, which I don't do).

Back