Gear wine on a 16 tooth sprocket

dnstommy

Registered
I am trying out a 16 tooth front with a 45 on the rear. When on a stand in 6th gear it wines real loud. In 1st and 2nd it sounds like a ten speed. But 6th it sounds like a gear drive. As I loosen the chain it gets quieter, but then I get chain slap.

I am coming from a 17 where there was no noise out of the ordinary. Also the 17 had some padding on the sprocket too, I think, help with noise. The new sprocket it a Vortex.

Any ideas?

Is the chain dragging on the plastic guide on the swing arm or binding on anything?

Are you sure the wheel is aligned properly?

The rubber on the stock one is there to make it quieter.

Is the chain new? If not it has streched a little not exactly meshing up with the new sprockets, thats probably where the noise is comming from. JMHO...

Is the chain dragging on the plastic guide on the swing arm or binding on anything?

Are you sure the wheel is aligned properly?

It is laying on the plastic a bit. I had heard that an issue with a 16 is the small gear makes the chain get closer to the swingarm. The wheel is square.

Is the chain new? If not it has streched a little not exactly meshing up with the new sprockets, thats probably where the noise is comming from. JMHO...

The chain has about 2000 miles on it. But they are hard drag racing miles. What damage can I cause with the clicking chain?

When on a stand in 6th gear it wines real loud

Can you just explain that a little more ?

On a stand in 6th gear ?

What type of stand and how fast are you spinning tire on said stand ?
Just curious as thats the first time I have heard that ?

It will wine on a stand! Make sure the the change has proper slack in it, and then go for an easy ride. Under load the load will change.

Can you just explain that a little more ?

On a stand in 6th gear ?

What type of stand and how fast are you spinning tire on said stand ?
Just curious as thats the first time I have heard that ?

Just on a rear stand. Start the bike, click it up to 6th and let it idle. The noise in 5th is quieter than 6th. And 4th is quieter than 5th. etc...

I took some slack out of the chain. I am about to take a ride on it. I'll post the info afterward. It seems to be quieter under load than decelerating. I don't mind the noise, I just don't want to do damage to the motor or swing arm because of this gear.

It is laying on the plastic a bit. I had heard that an issue with a 16 is the small gear makes the chain get closer to the swingarm. The wheel is square.

The chain has about 2000 miles on it. But they are hard drag racing miles. What damage can I cause with the clicking chain?

Just a little premature wear to the sprockets, until they mate with the chain, all should be ok!

Back