Gearing up the Gen2

jphilipson

Registered
Hi Folks :)

I want to gear up my Gen2 to gain about 10 MPH in 6th gear at about 7350 RPM. It seems this can be accomplished with going up 1 tooth in the front, or going down 3 teeth in the rear. Which method is the better choice? Are there advantages/disadvantages to either?

In the grand scheme I don't think it makes much difference. You would gain a tiny bit of mechanical efficiency by going up one on the front and wouldn't have to do anything with chain length. Dropping three in the back you will have to pull a link. If you drop two teeth you may not have to pull a link.
Where it makes a difference is how much work you want to do to change the sprocket size if you don't like it. Pull the fairing etc. to change the front or pull the rear wheel to change the rear. A front is cheaper to buy but that will get eaten up in labor if you don't do your own work.
Like Steel Reserve or Olde English 800 pick one, they'll both get the job done.

3 looks right. I'd go rear because it's easier to swap out if it doesn't work out for ya

I run a 18/40. The bike runs so much smoother and a lot better power range thru the gears. Its just a lot better combo for this bike.

Why not just get it set up properly on a dyno and have the stock ECU re programmed and de restricted? By the time you have paid for sprockets and a speedo healer the cost will be similar but you will end up with a much more rideable beast with even more midrange :thumbsup:

Why not just get it set up properly on a dyno and have the stock ECU re programmed and de restricted? By the time you have paid for sprockets and a speedo healer the cost will be similar but you will end up with a much more rideable beast with even more midrange :thumbsup:

Bike is Dyno tuned already. This change is not for top speed, it is for lower RPM's at a higher speed over a period of time.

Thanks all for the feedback. I

Dropping 3 teeth on a stock motor is quite a bit,probably great for highway cruising though once you get it rolling(a little more strain on the clutch).

Back