Gas Mileage

Under 60 just cruising easy I get over 50 but the gauge will not register it. I cruised at 50 on the way home from work after a fill-up and then got caught at a light. Accelerating easy from the light I got down to 47.? and it slowly crept back to 50 meaning it had to be over 50.0 to get the average back there but would not go over it. you may be getting better than 50 is all I'm eluding too.

I used to get 40mpg consistantly, but recenlty I've been getting about 29mpg. And when gas is almost $4 per gallon. WTF?

Keep the revs below 3.5 on shifts and drive gently around town and you can manage 43ish. On the Hiway keep it 65ish with no agressive manuevers and you can stay at 50 indicated almost indefintely. I believe the Trip Computer does not show any real mileage above indicated 50 MPG. So figuiring that there are circumstances that you can touch 50+ on occasion it averages to an indicated 50 MPG if you pay attention to what you are doing and drive like your grandma....you too can maintain a VERY efficient 1300 CC High horespower bike. Anything past stock for equipment and the aforementioned results is unknown to me, but I have done more than one cruise "gas mileage" mode and have held the 50 MPG mark with consistent results......but....it is as boring as hell to do it......lol.

Message to Fate above. Here in Fla. Use good brands of gas. They have more BTUx per oz at the same Octane rating than the cheapass off brand stuff. Chevron, Sunoco, Shell to name a few. Stay away from Wal-Mart etc.
Thanks, noticed one station here, when I get gas, bike runs like shi%.

how do you ride a busa 65 on the highway? mine isnt happy unless its doing 90 out on the highway. I cant keep the dam thing below 90 i have to ride my fz1 to work so i can stay close to the speed limit maybe the black ones are faster!

Mine is only getting 28 and I was thinking something is wrong. I think my 2000+ cc Chopper is getting better mileage? I will hit it every once in a while but mostly is easy cruising. I was hoping for much better

Oh my....

old_thread.jpg

my average for city is 32-33. when i take road trips i see 50-52 if i stay the spped limit. which does not last long. i'm also overdue for a tune up.

How do people get above 50 mpg ? Doesn't the gauge only go up to 50 mpg ?

I know this is an old thread, but I've asked this question several times and never gotten an answer...

What is this "trip computer" or "gauge" that displays m.p.g. on the bike? Is this a Gen 1 only feature...because I don't seem to have such a feature on my '08? I seem to just have an odometer, tripmeter 1, and tripmeter 2.

From these I can calculate that I average an indicated 42-45 m.p.g., but reading some of these posts it sounds like the bike has the ability to do these calculations automatically.

I went on a ride with my Pa and 2 bros. Yesterday. 1st day it was 70-ish and sunny enough to ride on the weekend. Anyway, I was in the back of the pack and had to play catch-up on a stretch of the trip. I couldnt help but notice my mile/gallon on odometer went from averaging 42-44 to an outstanding 50-mpg the rest of the ride(6hours). Has anyone ever gotten 50 miles to the gallon consistantly? At first I thought maybe an injector quit on me, but it seemed to run smoother and still had the awesome power she's always had. Must tell you, we averaged 60-mph adn when we rode through the small towns(35 mph) the mpg went as low as 49.3 and NO LOWER. Does anyone what their mpg?

As you add miles to the trip, it slows the response of the fuel economy report. So you were probably well over 50mpg, (since that's as high as the gauge goes), and the in-town riding just barely eeked your trip economy below 50 total. You were probably in the high-20's to low-30's in town.

Another factor to consider: the presence (or absence) of ethanol mixed with gasoline, and the proportion, also influences mpg.

A heavy blend of ethanol can reduce mpg my 5%-10% or so.

Lately, I have seen more and more gas stations in our area advertise their fuel as "ethanol-free". Just filling up with pure gas could mean 5mpg or so.

I average anywhere from 37mpg to 50 mpg if its all hwy i get slightly over 50mpg but as soon as i make a few stop and goes it drops dramatically. The bike just doesn't like going slow! I Managed 50mpg doing a consistant 80mph coming home from the dells once but i haven't been on that long of hwy since. Also my gauge said like 47mpg but when i calculated it out at the pump it was 50.2 or something

Yea, when I put my sprocket back to stock....I got 39-40 mpg. (Stupid 16 tooth sprocket cost me gas money!)

Back