Busa CAN be a GAS SAVER

eynlai

Registered
I know we all didn't get a busa to save gas. But finally took my busa this weekend down to San Diego to my GF's this past weekend (last time I rode my busa down there, gas was still around $3.20 per gal).

Just for the hell of, I filled up with Shell Regular 87 right before I left. Reset my mile counter and thereby MPG indicator. It was a 120 mile right down there, and I maintained my self control (and probably pissed off a lot of drivers) by riding at a leisure pace, not exceeding 70mph (unless I have to for a few quick passes).

Never thought I see this, but while still on the 5 fwy, right before reaching Oceanside/Camp Pendleton, my MPG reached 50 MPG!!! Then ran into traffic and had to start splitting lanes... By the time I got to my GF's place in La Jolla, MPG indicator said I got about 47.5 MPG!

What's even more amazing is the time difference was really just about 7 minutes! Meaning my old riding habit of average speed of 90 to 95mph only got me there 7 minutes sooner. Yes, I started the stop watch on my watch right after I got my gas in El Monte.

Who said the Busa can't be a gas saver?!

i have been watching mine also and just back and forth to work taking it easy getting around 47 mpg. beats the heck out of the suv that gets 13 mpg.

SHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!....Please do NOT mention this to all your friends........Hayabusa's will start selling like wildfire, not that Zuke doesn't already have plenty of the market, and "OUR" parts and sales prices will go up...
coolold.gif
PLEASE RESTRAIN YOURSELF !!!! "GAG ORDER ON THIS TOPIC !!!"

SHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!....Please do NOT mention this to all your friends........Hayabusa's will start selling like wildfire, not that Zuke doesn't already have plenty of the market, and "OUR" parts and sales prices will go up...
coolold.gif
 PLEASE RESTRAIN YOURSELF !!!!  "GAG ORDER ON THIS TOPIC !!!"
It's already happening! In our morning newspaper, it reported two dealerships: a Harley dealer and V.V. Motorcycle Center (Suzuki/Kawasaki). Both reported an increase of 50-70% in motorcycle sales, particularly first time riders/buyers (pretty freakin scary). Anyways, the paper reported that most of that demographic wanted a motorcycle b/c of "good gas mileage and low vehicle cost." Many did not want to buy hybrids b/c many felt "they were too ugly right now."

Brace yourselves for possible insurance rate spikes.

coolold.gif
It's already happening! In our morning newspaper, it reported two dealerships: a Harley dealer and V.V. Motorcycle Center (Suzuki/Kawasaki). Both reported an increase of 50-70% in motorcycle sales, particularly first time riders/buyers (pretty freakin scary). Anyways, the paper reported that most of that demographic wanted a motorcycle b/c of "good gas mileage and low vehicle cost." Many did not want to buy hybrids b/c many felt "they were too ugly right now."

for those of us that's been on one, the insurance hike shouldn't be so bad.

But sadly, that can explain why I'm always hearing "...freeway is congested because of a down motorcyclist..." on the radio traffic report.

At the Busa Meet in Dallas this past weekend, I was able to get 50+ mpg for a while. Were were riding at a modest pace on the highway with a tail wind. Took quite a while to drop below 50mpg after we started on the twisties. The lowest I got was 43 on my way home riding between 90-100 with strong head winds. As long as I keep my right wrist under control, mpg is usualy pretty good.

I had a 17 tooth front on my bike. Lost about 4 - 5 MPG. I just put the stocker back on to get the extra mileage. I will be doing another Fathers day ride with my family. Looks like all 7 bikes in the family will be going this year...
thumb_up.gif

coolold.gif

But sadly, that can explain why I'm always hearing "...freeway is congested because of a down motorcyclist..." on the radio traffic report.
You don't think if first time riders started crashing all these new bikes it would effect what we pay for insurance ? God, I hope not !! I already pay $290.00 a month, for 10 months a year.
banghead.gif

coolold.gif

You don't think if first time riders started crashing all these new bikes it would effect what we pay for insurance ?  God, I hope not !! I already pay $290.00 a month, for 10 months a year.
banghead.gif
You need to shop around.

I'm seeing a lot more scooter type bikes out on the road. It's obvious that people are tired of high gas prices but they don't feel comfy buying a "full" motorcycle.

I ride mine to work a lot of the time. Most of the time. I get about 40 mpg, give or take, depending on the ride itself. One gallon a day, for all intents and purposes.

--Wag--

Maybe with more bikes on the road, they'll start writing more bike friendly traffic laws instead of making the bikes conform to the laws created for the cages.

I saved ~$380 in gas this month. Thats 3 bike payments. I rode to work everyday but 1 in the last 4 weeks. Yes, this bike can be a money saver. And its sooooooo much fun too!

It has been my main source of transportation the last couple months. I have saved atleast $400 in gas easily.

i did about a 60 mile trip on the freeway earlier this week and cruising between 70-75 with a steady hand, i got the computer reading 50mph gallon!!  i normally see it read around 48 without being so careful with my right hand. 50mph gallon on the freeway and 150 in the quarter....... i dont think anyone will argue with my decision to purchase the busa anymore
drools.gif

over in europe, it's nothing but little scooters everywhere; THATS where i see the US going.  big cities like san francisco have been full of scooters for years for parking reasons mostly, but you can bet they're appreciating the gas mileage even more now.

Back