Fuel economy question

magifesq

Registered
Does the fuel economy readout read above 50 mph or has Suzuki programmed it to stop there?
With the pipes on my bike under behaved riding conditions it will go up to 50 mpg and then won't go further whether I'm cruising @ 55 or throttling up to 120 and staying there on a straight away. It makes its way up there then won't go further. I have a feeling that when I gas up next time the gallons and miles may prove it getting better economy than that.

00000055.JPG

I have found that if I am cruising the Interstate at around a steady 90 mph I will see 53 mpg. So, it should go higher than 50 mph just find the right speed for your ride.

I can't achieve that economy, even when I try, about half way there I think sod it and go for a blast.

My readout is in miles per litre rather than per gallon. Is it changeable, and if so how do you do it?

Thanks.

I dunno how guys manage this. I mean I just CAN'T! I love the power of this bike and spend MUCH of my ride time 100mph+. I also love doing good hard accelerating launches. I don't see NEAR 50 mpg. But then again I didn't buy the bike for the fuel economy. I applaud you guys with that kinda self control. lol

Holy crap dudes, for your own sake TWIST THE GRIP!!!
poke.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129417532 -->

I have found that if I am cruising the Interstate at around a steady 90 mph I will see 53 mpg. So, it should go higher than 50 mph just find the right speed for your ride.
I also find that 80 to 90 mph is the sweet spot. I'll average 48 to 49 mpg on long trips.

Drop below 80 in 6th gear and economy starts to go down. Simply a matter of tall gearing and lugging the engine.

It is to my understanding that the display tops out at 50MPG. Get out your calculator...

... and Dayum, do you ever ride over 5k RPM?

I did 160 just yesterday for a stretch, I was just wondering about the economy cuz like I said whether I do 55 or 120 its showing 50mpg and is probably doing more @ highway speeds.:cool:

I can't achieve that economy, even when I try, about half way there I think sod it and go for a blast.

My readout is in miles per litre rather than per gallon.  Is it changeable, and if so how do you do it?

Thanks.
Not changeable, since your bike was bought in the UK. (I'm assuming...based on your "location" tag, and sice you actually said "sod")
biggrin.gif

I did 160 just yesterday for a stretch, I was just wondering about the economy cuz like I said whether I do 55 or 120 its showing 50mpg and is probably doing more @ highway speeds.
cool.gif
Only time you should be hitting 50 mpg is when travelling for long periods on flat highway. If you're getting it with town and high speed sprints thrown in there is something wrong with your instrument cluster. Does it ever show anything other than 50?

Yes, when I'm having fun the guage floats between 40 and 50 mpg, when I'm doing the boring commute it hits 50 mpg and stops even though it crept up there and acts like it should go further:angry:

speedo healers.....get'em
if the signal off the trannys gps is reading wrongly....you will read much better than actual.

I could set mine to read 50% high...then at 50mph (slow cruising) I would read 100mph....racking up the mileage and not using the fuel.
rock.gif

Not changeable, since your bike was bought in the UK.[/QUOTE]
not so true...I do think the boys over at Blue Guages can make the change for you.

I'm thinking about buying a Busa. Before the Busa I was looking into a Harley VROD (Night Rod). I was reading on a VROD forum that some are only getting in the high 20's to low/mid 30's for mileage. That makes me more impressed with the Busa.

Steve

42 mpg is about the best I get even on long runs cruising between 3500 to 4000rpm in 6 th gear. Whats up?

Back