gas mileage

2hip

Registered
Been picking up alot of hours at a hospital 100 miles one way from home. Put BST wheels on her last year and a single sided titanium pipe. Dropped over 60 lbs off of the bike. But was amazed that my gas mileage actually went down even after losing the weight. Brocks told me that was common due to the pipe being opened up and much higher performance. The flickability of the bike is unbelievable now. Not far off of a liter bikes quickness.
It is so dang hard for me to keep it under 80 mph. Last week I had 3 days in a row where the wind was directly on the nose and blowing like stink. Approx wind speed was 30-40mph. I barely got 35 mpg. Now the winds dropped to normal and I kept the bike at 70. Filled up after 100 mile one way trip and was astounded to see 46 mpg. But do you guys have trouble on the highway keeping it under 80 also? I am 5'9" and 180 lbs. What kind of gas mileage are you seeing at freeway speeds?

I just went on a group ride a few weeks ago.......stock exhaust, indicated 70mph, I am getting 48.7mpg.

I have seen it as low as 38mpg after some spirited riding; any lower than that it's going in the shop.

before I do my upgrades which will be a full brocks system and PC V, I average about 45 to 50mpg.

After this season though when the mods are good and borken in I will make sure to check that again and dyno if needs be.

when my bike was completely bone stock i got 48 highway as long as i was not over 70. i even got 50 once doing 55 on a state route.

I am usually having too much fun on my busa to think about gas milage but I usually get 172 miles to a tank on my 08.

is that good, bad or average?

I am usually having too much fun on my busa to think about gas milage but I usually get 172 miles to a tank on my 08.

is that good, bad or average?

When I'm out on the backroads, I don't care about the mileage either. That's what's so good about the Busa. 45 mpg to get to and from the playground. 25-30mpg at the playground. :)

No matter how bad the bike runs, or how much throttle I give it, I'm happy with the mpg. My other vehicle is a V-10 Ford Superduty. 9mpg in that makes EVERYTHING feel like a Prius...

For curiousity sake, what does everyone find is the best way to make your bike more fuel efficient?

For curiousity sake, what does everyone find is the best way to make your bike more fuel efficient?

Looking ahead for stops so u can coast as much as possible. Shorten idle warm ups (Huge Difference I Saw) just drive off with as little stress and rpms as possible until its warm. Run 87 octane if its a gen 1. Run 42 psi front and rear. Draft off other vehicles if you can do it safely(Opinion). Synthetic oil. Make sure brake rotors and pads are in good shape and not dragging to much.

We are the same size, I went up 1 tooth in the front and now if I am trying for gas milage 70 mph I can get a consistant 48 mpg. Riding home from Florida a couple weekends ago exit to exit for 150 miles not getting above 70-mph I got 54.5 mpg . On the way down running 80 - 100 I was getting 44 - 48 mpg. If you are gonna travel I highly recommend going +1 on the front sprocket.
Keeping the RPM's under 4K for me has been the best way to get more milage. Usually 3000 to 3500 is where I keep her.

Best help on the gas mileage is laying off the hard accleration and keeping it under 70mph on the highway...but grandmas here will run you down at 70...snicker

Did you already get your bike tuned for the new exhaust? You can get what's called a "hybrid tune" anything past say.. Maybe 5 or 6k Rpms will be for straight POWAA! and anything under that will be for economy. Should help.
Fwiw I was logging close to 200 miles per day this past fall. Stock bike stock tune, only installed pipercross foam street filter and I was using 3 gallons a day. Very high 50's for mpg, sometimes 60+. I had my throttle locked between 75-80

What Gen is it 1 or 2 ?

I have 1'st gen, and if under 55 mph. - 50 mpg

60-65 mph. - 48 mpg

70-75 mph - 43 mpg

BUT on freeway I'm with you I can't stay below 80 mph. so I'm usually around 41 mpg. On back roads I like to keep the rev's up, so on twisty's about 38-30 mpg.

Full pipe, Power Commander III, with custom tune.

Back