Gas Mileage of FUELLY

BanditKing

Registered
I just started using this public online tool called FUELLY to keep track of my mileage and compare it against other Hayabusa's.

I thought it would be interesting to get a number of people on the .Org to register and use it.

Turns out, I'm not getting very good mileage when compared to some other Hayabusa's on this thread: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/149632-great-gas-mileage.html

So according to FUELLY, I averaged 29.4 MPG on my last tank of gas (see FUELLY thumbnail in my sig. line)
I tend to ride 15%-20% over the speed limit and throttle hard out of corners, but nothing too silly.

what is everyone else getting?

From my experience, if you keep it in as high of a gear as you can as much as you can, you'll get great mileage. If you like to keep the rev's up a little to keep acceleration easily accessible your mileage will suffer.

I got 32 the other day basically going the speed limit (most of the time), but I wasn't using 5th or 6th much. I'm sure my trip today was even lower lol. My all time best was right around 50.

It would appear fun is inversely proportionate to mpg...

i found that as long as im not rideing it...it seems to use hardley any gas!!!

I tend to average about 40 mpg, not too much city riding.
I have a good mix of acceleration and high gear cruising in my commute.
Posted via Mobile Device

wow. seems like my Busa has the worst fuel economy of the bunch. I've averaging 27.4 mpg, and although i'm not just puttering around, I'm not wringing the throttle all the time either.

50-52 MPG on an 08 with 39 tooth rear sprocket, CCS-100 cruise control and running at 3500 RPM for about 100 miles out of a 120 mile round trip to work.

wow. seems like my Busa has the worst fuel economy of the bunch. I've averaging 27.4 mpg, and although i'm not just puttering around, I'm not wringing the throttle all the time either.

Sounds like it's time to do a test. That way you will know if it's you or your bike.

Fill it up at a station near the highway, then go for a 50 mile cruise in 6th gear going no more the 4000 rpm. That includes shifting through the gears up to 6th. :banghead:
Turn around drive the same way (6th at no more the 4K) and drive back the the same gas station fill it up and do the math.
If you are not well over 40 mpg then something is wrong.

To you that may be a boring test, but that will tell you if the bike can get better which would mean that your are rougher on it then you think. :laugh:

I can get (on a cruise) high 40's or low 50's.

done the math on my 2011 busa (stock) i was very pleased avg. 50 mpg cruising & shifting at or below 4,000 rpm:thumbsup:

Sounds like it's time to do a test. That way you will know if it's you or your bike....Fill it up at a station near the highway, then go for a 50 mile cruise in 6th gear going no more the 4000 rpm. That includes shifting through the gears up to 6th. :banghead:
Turn around drive the same way (6th at no more the 4K) and drive back the the same gas station fill it up and do the math.
If you are not well over 40 mpg then something is wrong.

Ok, I finally got around to trying this test. The results were eye-opening. Although I didn't get well above 40mpg, I did get a LOT better mileage than what I usually do.

I'm in Canada, so bear with the metric:

100km trip (50km out, 50km back), roughly took 1 hour at approx. 90-100km/h. Smooth and gentle acceleration, in 6th gear as much as possible, at or just below 4000rpm, never over. Came back to the exact same pump, parked in the exact same position, filled up the tank to the exact same point (well, as close as possible)

42mpg (18.2km/L). my best fuel economy EVER (usually it's been about 27 to 28mpg or 12-13 km/L).

An interesting note: my on-board trip computer gave 44.2 mpg (18.8km/L), while Fuelly.com calculated 42.7mpg (18.2km/L)
I wonder why the discrepancy?

So I guess I really have nothing to be concerned about, and have only myself to blame for my mileage :laugh:

BanditKing said:
Ok, I finally got around to trying this test. The results were eye-opening. Although I didn't get well above 40mpg, I did get a LOT better mileage than what I usually do.

100km trip (50km out, 50km back), roughly took 1 hour at approx. 90-100km/h. Smooth and gentle acceleration, in 6th gear as much as possible, at or just below 4000rpm, never over. Came back to the exact same pump, parked in the exact same position, filled up the tank to the exact same point (well, as close as possible)

42mpg (18.2km/L). my best fuel economy EVER (usually it's been about 27 to 28mpg or 12-13 km/L).

An interesting note: my on-board trip computer gave 44.2 mpg (18.8km/L), while Fuelly.com calculated 42.7mpg (18.2km/L)

So I guess I really have nothing to be concerned about, and have only myself to blame for my mileage :laugh:

Prob the not so accurate speedo on the busa. 6-8% wrong at highway speed would be a couple mpg.

to many varibles. gearings riding habits sea level highway city etc and most important speed odometer errors no speedo healer vs one that is set to GPS and really did we buy the Busa to save gas

I get thousands of smiles per tank...:laugh: I'm sure mine is about average and I'm ok with that. I bought it to perform and not to sip fuel.

I'm glad that your mileage improved.
You did a 62.5 mile trip (test) if you had done a longer (farther) test the numbers would be even higher.

I agree that the speedometer is off (mine is) and that is maybe why the numbers don't match.

I guess that proves that being heavy handed uses a lot more fuel, however it still USES LESS then most 4 wheel vehicles
AND WAY MORE FUN :laugh::laugh::laugh:

...and really did we buy the Busa to save gas

...I bought it to perform and not to sip fuel.

it's not about saving gas that was the issue. I just wanted to know if something was wrong on my bike as my MPG seemed a lot lower than a lot of others around here, even those saying that they ride their bike pretty hard.

I'm not all that gentle with the throttle either. I just didn't realize I has hammering it that hard. :laugh:

Still, comparing numbers, my Busa has the worst fuel consumption it seems. It does make me wonder in something is wrong with the motor.
???

and i've got a speedohealer...right now, the speedo reads correctly according to my GPS

Wait.. you are telling me that this thing has more than 1 Gear? now I can start to understand why I only get 11 MPG riding around hawaii... were is the handle to change gears??? :please:

Back