Full Exhaust Install?  How difficult?

beast619

Registered
Im doing an exhaust swap this weekend. How hard is it to do, and what's needed as in parts removed (radiator, oil cooler)? I took a look and it seems like a pain, am i in for a long ass weekend of struggle?

very wasy to do.

don't have to remove the radiator or oil cooler. just unhook the brackets and put a piece of cardboard against the fins so you don't mess them up. should only take a couple of hours if you take your bitter sweet time.
wink.gif

Yeah fst has your answer as long as you take your time just take looks the radiator and oil cooler supports remove the bottom oil cooler bracket and thats the easy part manuvering the stock header pipe will be about the hardets part hopefully your bike will be on a front stand and a rear one this extra clearence will help greatly i have done it before on just rear stands and boy it's a bit more of a pain

I did mine, took all day.Its definitely easier to do with the radiator and oil cooler off,I chose not to remove them or the pair. If you're gonna do the pair mod, now is the time.When you start to trial fit the pipes, get them as far inward and as close to the oil pan as you can.Once youve got the fit right,take them back off and wrap all the tubes with exhaust wrap, also bear in mind most after market headers make oil filter removal alot tougher! Take your time and if you find yourself getting frustrated as I did, walk away from it for a little while and then get back to it. What system are you putting on.???

I did mine, took all day.
I would have to say about the same for me. At minimum, a good solid afternoon. I took my time, check and double checked header fit. Removed the pair and all that crap. What took the most time for me was buttoning the whole thing up, going for a spin, and smelling burning plastic. Had to tear the whole thing down again and do more jockeying with the pipes until she was just right.

Give yourself plenty of time and you'll get it just right.

put a nice plush towel on the rear of your fender so u dont scratch it up with the radiator and piece of cardboard on rear of radiator so u dont knuckle it up......
I didnt get any stands yet so i used car ramps to get it off the ground......you wont get the stock stuff off without elevating the bike.
The header bolts are a pain to get to but its do-able just go slow....it takes time turn by turn and you'll get there.....

One more thing, if your manufacture provided you with some heat shield, USE IT!!! ALL OF IT!!! Here are some pics for the locations....

hmf_heat2.jpg

I took my time and did it all in one afternoon. I am not sure about wrapping the headers. I would read more into that, I heard it doesn't go well with titanium. My exhaust is free ballin so to speak, no wrap just some heat tape on the plastic.
rock.gif

I took my time and did it all in one afternoon. I am not sure about wrapping the headers. I would read more into that, I heard it doesn't go well with titanium. My exhaust is free ballin so to speak, no wrap just some heat tape on the plastic.
rock.gif
I would have to agree with that. I talked to several people who strongly recommended against it. I've heard the header tape will actually cause your header pipes to become brittle after awhile. I was going to wrap mine and finally decided against it.

To each his own, just throwing out what I've heard and read from when I was thinking of doing it.

Take your time on the install and you'll be fine.

Where do you get the heat tape?
I will be installing an exhaust also in about a month.
I went to a local hot rod/speed shop here in Denver to get some. One of the guys there was one of the people that actually talked me out of it, even though he was in a position to sell it to me.

Any kind of speed shop or hot rod place will likely carry it. Even the local pep boys here stocks it, they just happened to be out of it when I came through.

Hey dont use header wrap it shortens the life of the metal. if you do anything get them cermic coated.

Not really sure how long it took me to do my Gen3, since I didn't have a whole lot of time in one day/night to do it. I finally did though get it done WITHOUT any stands at all. It really wasn't that bad.

Hey i installed my exhaust without stands too. when i was tryin to push the stocker off the bike rolled foward damn near fell
laugh.gif
Took me 8 hrs though

Take off the Pair as soon as you can it helps, fstbusa has it right when it comes to the radiator and oil cooler just loosen, the horn gets in the way just un hook that. I did mine in about 6 to 7 hours getting the clearance between the header and oil cooler was a challenge and then keeping the exhaust off the rear fairing was also some work. Do not tighten anything down until you get the clearance right. Bad new is this means you will have to put on and then take off all the fairings twice, it's worth it.  I have clearance all they way around and have no heat tape or issues with heat.

BDE rear look, turn signals and tail end need help I know, fixed now, but not when the photo was taken.

1st_half_2004_photo_s_192.jpg

Back