Front tire removal

TheDude27

Donating Member
Registered
Ok I'm removing the front wheel/tire on the bike for the first time.  

Loosened pinch bolts(then pryed apart slightly with a screwdriver) removed caliper.  I can get the spacer on the left side of the bike to come out about 1/4 inch by prying carefully with screwdriver/various implements of destruction. The axle also moved left about the same distance now it seems like everything is tight.  Am I missing something or do I just need to get a bigger hammer/more force? What tecnique should I use beating on axel from right side with large socket and hammer or pry spacer from left side???

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120057260 -->

I just installed a new wheel tonight so its fresh in my mind.

I put the bike on the rear stand then removed the windshield, installed a tow strap around the top tree & raised the front with a cherry picker.

Remove 2 front calipers & wire them up.

Loosen the pinch bolts on the throttle side only.

Use a 5/8 bolt (15/16th head) with 2 jam nuts on it. Insert in the throttle side of the axle & unscrew the axle & remove it. Your wheel is now free.

I guess the spacers your talking about are actually the pinch nut & axle itself. You need to tighten up the pinch bolts on the left side tube to loosen the axle.

<!--EDIT|Churchkey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120059352 -->

I just installed a new wheel tonight so its fresh in my mind.

I put the bike on the rear stand then removed the windshield, installed a tow strap around the top tree & raised the front with a cherry picker.

Remove 2 front calipers & wire them up.

Loosen the pinch bolts on the throttle side only.

Use a 5/8 bolt (15/16th head) with 2 jam nuts on it. Insert in the throttle side of the axle & unscrew the axle & remove it. Your wheel is now free.

I guess the spacers your talking about are actually the pinch nut & axle itself. You need to tighten up the pinch bolts on the left side tube to loosen the axle.
Small pipe wrench on an old 5/8 bolt also works in a pinch if you dont have jam nuts on hand.

Need a special tool(size 24 hex wrench ). I had to get mine from the dealer.
The 15/16 Hex head bolt worked. Put on 2 nuts and tightened them together (hard) and it came right off. You also need to drive the spacer(meaning the aluminum flange on the clutch side) out after loosening the axle (or at least I did since the tire wouldn't drop on the clutch side till I did). And BTW, DAMN that axel is light, I was expecting some 8lb hunk of steel to drop out of there.

Back