from R1 to busa

gazzy

Registered
hi i am new to this forum, and just wanted to post what happened to me last week.

Last thursday i parked my 2009 R1 on main rd while visiting a friend , one hr later discovered it got knicked ,police viewed a cctv that shop had across the rd and seen van pull up 3 guys got out and lifted bike onto van ,they couldnt make reg out ,and said its doubtfull i get the bike back , was proper guttted ,rang insurance now have to wait 28 days until they pay up.

Had R6s and R1s for last 8 yrs was pondering on getting new R1 again till i browsed the web and chanced upon the hayabusa site never really took much notice before being a yami guy for most part of 15 yrs , now defo decided to go for the busa ,and would be gratefull for any other good or bad comments you may have :) thanks

Welcome to the ORG.

Depends what your looking for in a bike.

I've owned a Yamaha FZ1 and rode an 05 R6 and a 09 R1. Me personally I'd take the Busa. The R1 was a nice bike but the Busa has better comfort and to me feels just as solid in the twisties. Yes the R1 is faster in the twisties but you just have to put a bit more effort in to the Busa. They both hold a nice line and both have great throttle response. If you just go out on the weekends for fast rides I'd stick with the R1. If you ride a lot, hit the twisties, and like to go on long trips, get the Busa.

Good luck with your decision.

hey thanks for that , well the R1 wasnt really passenger friendly and my wife wouldnt get on it (maybe a good thing:) ) but the R1 was a comfy bike but i thing looking at the busa looks alot more comfy than the R1 and more passenger friendly ,think at my age (53) going bit soft :)

you sure did come to the wrong place to get unbiased advice on this subject... :laugh: I haven't Ridden the 09 R1 (they sound damn good!) but I have been on a few current model 1ks and I still got the 09 busa which I ride almost every day and I don't regret it for a second, it can do anything (well pretty much) the 1ks can do but is also very useable day to day (not high strung) and good on a trip (IMHO), If your comfortable on an R1 the busa will be like sitting in your favorite chair.
hope it goes well for you, sorry to hear about your R1 by the way where you from?:welcome:

'01 R1 is my first bike that I bought used when I started riding 4 years ago. I rode it for almost 2 years and liked it a lot. The longest ride I've done on it was 825 miles in one day. In summer of 2007, I started looking at the Busa. Then I decided to trade it in for a brand new '07 Busa. The only mods I did on the Busa for comfort is the Corbin seat and the Helibars. After doing those, I'll never go back to R1 again. I love long distance riding and this is perfect for me. I'm 6'0 ft tall and the Busa feels so much better. I've done 15-16 hour rides on it and still smiling at the end of the day. The only thing I can say about the Busa is "it's a Magic Carpet Ride". The R1 is a nice bike, don't get me wrong. But for my riding style, The Busa is the one.
The longest ride I've done on the Busa.
2702014245_31b14f9d65.jpg

Here she is when she turned 2 years old last September 27. This is just to show you how much I love her.
3958671246_8cab688f44.jpg

By the way, Welcome!!!

Last edited:
hey thanks for the replys , i really want this month to go quick then i can get my insurance dosh for the busa , btw i am from manchester UK

:welcome: , Sorry about your R 1 . I don't think you will regret getting a Busa , A little different from your R1 but you will be amazed at how the Busa will handle & the power available to use ! Have fun & Hold on tight ! :thumbsup:

From the words of the last young lady to ride the back of my Busa,

She was used to smaller "crotch rockets" and wasn't versed in the whole "Hyper Sport" style bikes,

"Your back seat is like a couch."

Youe bet girl:laugh:

Welcome to the oRg man. I was a Kawa guy for years. Had a chance to test ride an 95 Busa for a day and then back to back comparison on an 05 R1.

It was a no brainer for me and my 6'4" frame and 223 pounds.:whistle:

:welcome: to Hayabusa.org. I got my busa 4 years ago when I was 55 years old. I almost have 60K miles on my 05 now and I love the busa more each time I ride it. I ride it to work almost everyday. Taken long trips on it, 750 miles in one day, drag raced it, and done a few track days too. The busa does it all. Go get ya one!:thumbsup:

:welcome: to hayabusa.org. I got my busa 4 years ago when i was 55 years old. I almost have 60k miles on my 05 now and i love the busa more each time i ride it. I ride it to work almost everyday. Taken long trips on it, 750 miles in one day, drag raced it, and done a few track days too. The busa does it all. Go get ya one!:thumbsup:

dam 60k ,thats impressive hope i get that out of mine:beerchug:

For me I'd probably be a better rider on a 600. I'm short 5'6" and the handling of a heavier litre bike ie.. a Busa is a little intimidating. But the 1st time you grab a fist full of throttle. You will be hooked. There is no replacement for displacement! Weeeee

Welcome to the .Org! If you're hooked on sportsbikes but want something more comfortable, you basically have two choices: Busa or ZX-14. Both are great bikes, but most of us here prefer the Busa :whistle:

I LOVE the liter bikes, and will probably get 1 next. But I'll tell you what, you won't even notice you have a passenger on the back. I use to ride with a guy on an R-1, and when the wives were with us he'd always say, how does your bike pull like that 2 up ? And I didn't ride aggressive with her at all. wish I did now !! We're divorced, woulda been a lot cheaper to just have bumped her off the back at 150 mph, just kidding ...

WELCOME

hi i am new to this forum, and just wanted to post what happened to me last week.

Last thursday i parked my 2009 R1 on main rd while visiting a friend , one hr later discovered it got knicked ,police viewed a cctv that shop had across the rd and seen van pull up 3 guys got out and lifted bike onto van ,they couldnt make reg out ,and said its doubtfull i get the bike back , was proper guttted ,rang insurance now have to wait 28 days until they pay up.

Had R6s and R1s for last 8 yrs was pondering on getting new R1 again till i browsed the web and chanced upon the hayabusa site never really took much notice before being a yami guy for most part of 15 yrs , now defo decided to go for the busa ,and would be gratefull for any other good or bad comments you may have :) thanks

I just got my 2009 Busa in August after putting 60,000 miles on my R1. Here are the major things you will notice. First, the Busa is big and heavy. I wish Suzuki would put it on a diet and knock 50 pounds off it. Second, the front brakes are weak. I found myself giving lots of extra braking room for the first couple weeks just to be safe. Third, the Busa is much more comfortable. I found myself doign less and less track days and more and more dragracing and sport touring. I love the R1, but the Busa is the best tool for me to use based on what I want it to do. I am completely used to the weight and the braking on the Busa now. It just took about two weeks.

I own both, 06 R1 le and 09 Busa... Different bikes to say the least. R1 track bike for sure, Busa 1/4 mile bike hands down. Ride the Busa with the wife ride the R1 when I ride alone. If I could only have one or the other??? Busa, Busa, Busa!!!:thumbsup:

white and blue 09 and throw a union jack on that bad boy.:laugh: welcome to the fold.

Gazzy, welcome and I'm sorry about your bike. R1s are so cool, I rode one right before I purchased my Busa. One ride was enough to totally convince me. The Busa is more comfortable, handles beautifully, and FEELS so much more powerful than the R1. (Torque)

Look at the acceleration numbers and realize the gearing of the Hayabusa gives the liter bikes the upper hand making them comparable to the Hayabusa in roll-on acceleration. The Busa was geared for top end, and with a simple sprocket change the Busa will not only FEEL faster, but it will be faster. Comfort on the Hayabusa? Hands down the winner. I believe you will attract more interest and attention owning a Busa, people are curious about these long low beasts. Good luck with your decision, but I think there's nothing quite like a Hayabusa and the support you will get from this group on The Org. is another huge bonus:thumbsup:

Back