Friends, Don't let Friends use Bungee cords!

Bungees are nothing more than rubber bands. With time they wear and exposure to the elements shortens their life span dramatically. I use saddle bags instead and what doesn't fit stays at home :laugh:

I use a bungee all the time to go get milk. Strap it to the back seat.
But I can see problems if it snaps or one end breaks.

Although not a bike story but a story nonetheless to demonstrate the potential for problems with bungee cords. A number of years ago, a friend of mine and I were snowmobiling from northern NH to a loop in Quebec and back over a 10 day period. On the second day of the trip, he was leading, we usually spread out a bit, putting about a mile between us. As he was leading, I came across pieces of clothing on the trail. More an more clothing as I got closer to my buddy. He was stopped on the trail telling me that all of a sudden it felt like the brakes were hit hard. It turned out the bungee cords holding his saddlebags to the seat broken, one bag was dragging in the snow so it opened up loosing his clothing. When both bungee cords broke, the saddlebags get stuck in the track. What a pain to get the saddlebags out of the rear suspension and the track. Looking back on the event it sure was funny as hell. We had to go back on the trail and pick up all his missing clothes.

I avoid using bungee cords on my bike and snowmobiles.

Jim,

Back