Friends, Don't let Friends use Bungee cords!

red1100cc

Registered
i could post a hand full of gory pics, but i will not. i will just leave you with a short story and good advice.

when i began riding, all riders rode in pac formation. well Ernie, riding his 68 sporty, had his bedroll and indian blanket bungeed to his sissy bar.
going down the highway at 85, and guess what, that darn bungee pops! bedroll on the ground.
Indian blanket right into the sprocket!!!!!!!!!

locked up and down he goes.

he lived, thank goodness.

Brothers and Sisters, bungee cords are dangerous. even bungee nets can pop and jump into your sprocket.

with all yall getting out touring this summer.
get 2 good quality rachet straps! put the rachet part behind you so you can check on it while riding. tighten it as the load settles.

you ride a $13,000 bike. do not trust your life with a $1 bungee! :please:

BUNGEE CORDS WILL KILL YOU!

Good reminder. Cap saved me from using them on our trip to the bash.

Great PSA. I never have really given it much thought because the BMW has full cases and I haven't done is long trips on the Hayabusa yet. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

Never had a problem with a bungee. I guess there is a first time for everything.
I find them on the road all the time. They can fail and I think that's all that's being said. I use a back pack for short trips and soft saddle bags for the longer trips.

I think the best thing to be learned from this would be, IF you use bungee's to hold stuff on/down just inspect them good first and don't use a frayed/cut one or try to make it hold something that is just flat out too much for it. Remember it may hold that object on good when sitting there in the driveway, now add the wind resistance that is being put on that same object rolling down the road at 70-80mph and that becomes another story.

Yes the older solid black ones would pop pretty easy if they got a cut/knick in them, but have you ever really tried to purposely snap one of the newer multi stranded ones? Not as easy as you may think.

Not assuming anything here, but to me it sorta sounds like the sleeping bag & coat just weren't properly secured in the first place. Almost same thing here, a lot of people don't take into account how the wind buffeting can work something loose in no time if poorly done in the first place. Heck, even with ratchet tie downs I still stop every now and then for no reason and check them to make sure everything's still good.

And how in the world did the other bungee get caught up in the front wheel? Kicked up off the road? Anyways it say's that one wouldn't cause the crash anyhow just affect steering a bit.

Never had any issues with bungee cords sounds to me as possible operator error or dry rotted bungees used for Aunt Annies attic from 1962

And how in the world did the other bungee get caught up in the front wheel? Kicked up off the road? Anyways it say's that one wouldn't cause the crash anyhow just affect steering a bit.

my best guess, was he had something, a bedroll or jacket, strapped above the headlight and when the cord popped it went right into the front wheel. ???

Back