Friend of mine in prision for 5.5 years

BrianKesler

Registered
http://www.theledger.com/article/20090926/NEWS/909265028/1410?Title=Ex-Deputy-Chief-Gets-5-1-2-Years

Just wanted some input.

So a while back a guy i used to work with was brought up on charges of having sex with a minor. While i agree that it was wrong, and he should be punished, i dont agree with 66 months.

Maybe its different for me because i know both him and the alleged "victim". Once again, i want to stress that it was not right of him to do what he did.

I am familiar with this girl. This incident happened over 4 years ago, and the "victim" was more than willing. The "victim" participated in the weekend work release program and was working at the police department. The incident happened at a gym where SHE MET HIM. I have personally been in Wal Mart where the "victim's" mother works, and on several occasions she has said to Jody that he should meet her daughter.

I was at the sentencing yesterday, and the "victim" stood up to speak. She said she wanted to see him punished because what he did was wrong and that she has had to live with this for the past several years, the past several years where she has said nothing about it.

I just dont think its fair that the minor can engage in these acts, yet the adult is the only one to be punished. Again, i do not agree with what he did, but it seems so wrong that at one time, the so called "victim" did exactly what she wanted, on her own free will, and now decides to turn it around. She was a willing participant, and she gets to go on with her life as though everything is fine.

AGAIN, I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT HE DID, i just needed to vent. Even though he was wrong, it kills me to see a friend and his family, and even worse, his children, having to go through this.

He should be punished, although 5 1/2 seems a stiff penality for willing (not consensual - she can't give consent) sex... people do less time for aggravated assualt and sometimes murder.

Ex-Deputy Chief Gets 5 1/2 Years | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

AGAIN, I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT HE DID, i just needed to vent. Even though he was wrong, it kills me to see a friend and his family, and even worse, his children, having to go through this.

I agree, Brian. But that's the law. In Europe Age of Consent varies 'tween
13, 17. Somewhere it's as low as 7, I think. This "dirty old man" syndrome
is just puritan background stuff. In the Asia, Europe no such. but our
soc is 200yrs, theirs is many thousands. now I'm venting.

[Arkansas]

Rape - Section 5-14-103 (a) A person commits rape if he engages in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual activity with another person:
1 By forcible compulsion; or
2 Who is incapable of consent because he is physically helpless; or
3 Who is less than fourteen (14) years of age. It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this subdivision that the actor was not more than two (2) years older than the victim; or
4 Not his spouse who is less than sixteen (16) years of age and who is incapable of consent because he is mentally defective or mentally incapacitated

Should have lived in Arkansas.

Guys, this is a great reminder about abuse in general. If you have done nothing wrong and a woman accuses you of assault in any way, you go to jail that evening. SOBERING THOUGHT but TRUE! Don't be the next statistic.

Sorry about your buddy. 5 1/2 years is a long time

Last edited:
Id feel bad if he was 18 or 19 and she was 16... but it says the man was 41? Would you want a 41yr old man seeing your teen age daughter?

A Deputy Chief? What a Dumbazz. Those are going to be some hard years. He had to have known that. Doesn't matter what the girl did. Grown men ought to be smarter than 16 year olds. That's playing Russian Roulette with one empty chamber. He knew better. Obviously he didn't care much about HIS family before or during, but now he loves them more than anything after he got caught. That's just playing the family card to try to save his own azz.

I feel for your friend , But as an adult he should have said no because he knew better. Besides he was a married man with a family of his own. Certain values are in place from childhood taught by parents & common sense. Pray for your friend ! :please:

No sympathy here ... Friend or no friend, he's a grown man (upper level lawman to boot), he knew it was wrong, gambled everything on a piece of tail thinking he wouldn't get caught and rolled snake eyes.

The flirty girl, her mother, his family, nothing else in the story matters. It was a very selfish act and now he has plenty of time to reflect on it.

The reason i posted is because i was looking for an opinion on the sentence. As stated above, this was wanted. Granted, he should have known better, he should have walked away, but he didnt, now hes paying.

Not that its any better, but this incident happended 4 years ago, and was brought out by an ex employee who was angry at him because he fired her. She apparently knew about it the entire time, but did not come forward until she got canned.

Heres a question for you guys...is it right that he gets 5.5 years and she walks away with nothing? Technically, she did not break the law, however, she was a willing participant in what happened.

Oh and btw, he was either divorced or seperated at the time of the incident, not sure which....still doesnt change the age difference though

A little web searching turned up multiple articles stating something to the effect that

"The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) conducted the investigation which reported that Beaudry had sex with the victim after threatening to revoke her probation."

If that is true, it's coercion, and that makes it rape. It doesn't matter if the girl is 16 or 60 years old.

He deserves it. What did he think would happen?

And an age of consent of 7! That's barbaric. What 7 yo has the maturity - mentally and physically to give consent? Even the Middle Eastern nations where it's "legal" are beginning to condem it.

Correction: Spain 12 years. can't find anything 'bout 7
musta been some bs

Last edited:
A little web searching turned up multiple articles stating something to the effect that

"The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) conducted the investigation which reported that Beaudry had sex with the victim after threatening to revoke her probation."

If that is true, it's coercion, and that makes it rape. It doesn't matter if the girl is 16 or 60 years old.

This was the initial allegation. That charge, along with others were dropped. He was only charged with unlawful sex or something like that. The girl changed her story and it was found to not be true.

Knowing him, i would be willing to bet anything i have that he did not threaten her in any way. I think that because this came out (mind you she isnt the one who came forward, because she was ok with it) she felt she needed to save face and make this claim, to make herself look more like a victim than she really was.

This was the initial allegation. That charge, along with others were dropped. He was only charged with unlawful sex or something like that. The girl changed her story and it was found to not be true.

Knowing him, i would be willing to bet anything i have that he did not threaten her in any way. I think that because this came out (mind you she isnt the one who came forward, because she was ok with it) she felt she needed to save face and make this claim, to make herself look more like a victim than she really was.
That may well be the case, Brian, and if it is, I feel sorry for your friend. But the law is often harshest on those sworn to enforce it and then fail to live up to their own standards. Still, it sounds like a very stupid mistake.

Back