Flashing vs PCV

Busa&Coal

Registered
another one of these threads.... actually im just wanting an opinion.

I'm gonna get the brocks alien head full system in the near future. question is, should I get a PCV or ecu flashing? I saw that boostbysmith has that new ecu flasher out.... but... Im more into a plug and play kinda thing, or an autotuner? if thats possible.

If i had a dyno near me, then i'd definitely go for the ECU but nearest one is a couple hundo miles.

Also, eventually i could see myself adding a turbo and all that, with time.. so id like to set it up where I could be ready eventually without buying stuff i already have.

Thanks friends!

I traveled 6 hours one way for an ecu tune by a reputable tuner. :laugh:

+1000. My standard answer for the dozens of questions like yours: find a local tuner who is experienced/skilled in tuning Hayabusas and find out what he is most proficient with (e.g. PC, ECU Editor, Bazzaz, etc.). Then BUY THAT and schedule a dyno and tune.

If above is not an option, then IMHO the next best alternative is to use the "canned tune/map" that Brock's offers using a PC. A 3rd option I have read about is mailing out your ECU to get it flashed.

where can I get a list of good tuners?

or you can throw some names out around the Southwest Virginia area.

where can I get a list of good tuners?

or you can throw some names out around the Southwest Virginia area.

This is boostbysmith's list. It is not an all encompassing list but it gives you an idea of who are #1 on his list of who to go to.

ECU Tuning Locations

I am on the coast in eastern NC and travelled to Charlotte, NC.

charlotte isnt bad for me. maybe 3 hours on the bike taking back roads!

Perfect. The shop there is Lee's Performance. Lee is an awesome guy and has a ton of busas in his shop. I wish I had taken a picture of just how many busas he had that his shop was working on and/or selling.

it looks like i could get the brocks system from him too. ill call him when i get the cash and see if he can do it in a day trip.

it looks like i could get the brocks system from him too. ill call him when i get the cash and see if he can do it in a day trip.

Yeah he will set up an appointment for you. You could go either way with him. If you call and talk to him, I am sure he will explain what he would recommend PCV vs tune. A couple of tuners recommend PCV over tune like POWERHOUSE does. I really dont think it makes a difference at all for street riders but I do not know much :laugh:

If you decide to go with the flash, buy the ecu harness piece from Boostbysmith and have that hooked up when you get there. It just makes things go quicker and it is easy to hook the harness up yourself.

Just my .02 but for $350 you can get the flasher and logger all in one. Start with a base map, and go ride the bike, keep tuning it with the autotune function in editor and you should be good! I did this the hard way with my laptop hooked up in my back pack, now I have the logger and life is great! You don't have to be a genius to use it either. Not saying it will be as "perfect" possibly as getting it tuned from one of the above mentioned, but that is why the guys have built this little amazing piece of technology.

Just my .02 but for $350 you can get the flasher and logger all in one. Start with a base map, and go ride the bike, keep tuning it with the autotune function in editor and you should be good! I did this the hard way with my laptop hooked up in my back pack, now I have the logger and life is great! You don't have to be a genius to use it either. Not saying it will be as "perfect" possibly as getting it tuned from one of the above mentioned, but that is why the guys have built this little amazing piece of technology.

You still need a wideband, but they can be had for under $200. This is what I'm going to order next week.

Get a good dyno operator, such as Lee. Tune it thru the ECU.
I have had more than one Power Commander lose the map. It's called being corrupt.
The stock ECU will never loose a tune.

i have an appointment at schnitz racing and he is 4 hours away.... trust me a good dyno tune is worth everything especially removing the restrictions in the ecu and not having a part like the power commander to go bad

So 18 posts later nobody has answered the op's original question.

Which one is better? With many details please.

PcV or Flash or Flash with PcV ?

Powerhouse where are you? We need one of your posts :)

why would flashing and using an external box to control just fuel that could fail be better than just tuning the ecu? I am of the opinion don't mix and match your tuning devices. pick one and use it, combining ecu fuel tuning, along with something else to me is a recipe for disaster, just my 2 cents.

Back