PCV Good/Bad or Otherwise?

FirstBusa2014

Registered
I have dont a bunch of reading on here, A BUNCH, on the PCV. Was thinking of getting one. I am having a friend do a basic flash of my ECU, Fix Timing Retard, Add fuel to Upper RPM Range, Open Secondary Butterflys, Remove Limiters and so on. But I have read that a PCV can still be a benefit. I dont want to go through the Steep Learning Curve of the ECU Editor Software. Where as a PCV is a no brainer. And I have shops near me that tune with Dynojet/PC if I wanted to do a custom tune.
I have also read some where on here of folks having issues with there bikes after the PCV install but, cant seem to find those threads. I have had the PCIII in the past on other bikes and never had any problems with the bikes. And on the last bike I had with one of the PC generic tunes my VTX 1800 put down 110 HP and 125 TQ with no tuning. Keep in mind the VTX is a V Twin. All generic tune from Dynojet.
So Im know Im gonna get a ton of different responses, but please keep them on point.

Thanks!

I would suggest speaking to Frank at Powerhouse about the benefit of the PCV tuning vs an ec editor tune. But I guess it also depends how much tuning is required. Is it a turbo or a drag bike where every single pony you can get is what you want. I have a turbo and it was tuned by Frank via PCV. So I would say flash the ecu and have your tuner tune via PCV.

My bike is a daily ride and for weekend fun. No big motor or turbo. Not planing on hitting it with juice. Currently I have Yosh slip ons and a BMC filter. Other then those simple bolt ons I dont plan on much more. But I have read that unlocking the ECU of the above mentioned things I may pick up a hp or 2. So then thinking of adding the PCV as a simple bolt to gain a few more hp with a generic tune and or putting it on a dyno in the future to have it tuned via the PCV would be it.
I have read ( but cant find) where folks have had bad issues with there bikes after a PCV install. Install error, bike had issues at that time and PCV added to them? Dont know.
Just trying to educate my self and learn all I can bout my 2014 Busa.

A Lot of shops that have dynos tune using Power Commanders. Very few tune thru ecu software so I suggest you find out where you gonna take your bike 2 get dyno'd and see what they prefer 2 use.

The shops I have used in the past all tune via PC.
As I stated in my first post, what were some of the issues folks were having after installing a PCV? But was it from install error or the bike having issues prior to the install and the PCV made it worse?
I know there is a lot more tuning that can be done via ECU Editor, but I dont have the time nor inclination to learn that program. So with the PCV being pretty safe as far as install and not being able to go crazy like ECU Editor I feel safe not causing damage to my new bike.

I think most tuners will tel you that PCV tuning allows you to tune better. Ecu unlocks a lot of features but the better tune is via the PC. As for issues, I've never had any. I have read where some have had bad or faulty PCs but it's never happened to me. Maybe someone that has had issues will chime in.

Thanks for your input.
I'm wondering if it wasn't folks buying a used unit and it not working properly.
Thinking after Christmas I'll be getting a PCV, NEW!

You should NEVER touch the air/fuel without a dyno, or having used a datalogger!
You have know way to know what you're doing without one.
Don't just open the secondary throttle plates either, copy/paste 1st/5th gear on to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th.
Anything past 94% open is inefficient.
A generic map from a Power Commander is waste of money. The only base maps that are any good come from Brocks, and you need one of his pipes for it to work.
Just take the bike somewhere for an Ecu Editor dyno tune and be done with it. The money you spend on a PCV will pay for most if not all of the dyno tune. And the bike will run much better, the way it should, safely and efficiently.

With slip ons and a filter you really aren't going to get much from a PCV or an ECU flash. Those mods are gentle enough that the bike can adjust itself to them. Both the PCV and the ECU flash do essentially the same thing, except the ECU flash can access other things in the bike's programming like extending the redline. I have had PCV units since they came out and they are basically bullet proof. But the stock maps are garbage - get a dyno tune. I also have an AutoTune. This allows you to fine tune the bike based on your actual riding, but I have never used it as the dyno tune I got was perfect. Frankly, this is really for the person wwho either races (needs top performance on different gas, altitude, etc.) or people who don't want to dyno tune and are willing to log data and then improve the map over and over until its perfect.

If I was you, I would not bother with any of this in the current mod state of your bike. When you buy a PCV, go to the trouble to hook it all up, and then take the bike out for a spin you are going to think "Why did I spend all the money for absolutely nothing?" You need to get a full exhaust. You will lose 20-25 pounds just switching from the OEM bulk and it will sound better to. Then get a good tune either by adding a PCV or ECU flash. Which one depends on what the tuners you have access to can work with.

Interesting.
The guy who was gonna do the ECU flash seems to have a lot of good results. Dont know if he is on this forum or not but from the folks I have talk to he has done some good work. His name is Cory and he is out of New Orleans LA.
Im not saying your not right, and I agree tuning work should be done on a dyno with AFR. Just thought those minor adjustment would be fine.

Well an ECU flash can't really add HP unless your bike was way out of tune in the first place. You have to give the tuner something to work with like a full exhaust or something. Otherwise you are talking 2-3 hp which on a bike with 170 + hp that may not even be noticeable.

I didnt expect to see or feel a bucket load of increased HP. I am planing on getting the V&H headpipe to mate up with my Yosh slip ons. Maybe Ill wait on everything till I get the headpipe from V&H after the first of the year.
I am going to go with the PCV come time. If for no other reason than the "set it and forget it" side. Maybe I wont do the ECU flash come time. Cause other than removing the 6th gear limiter and turning off the PAIR system plus raising the redline I cant see spending $125 for just that.

I'm running a Bazzaz fuel programmer paired with an ecu flash. Never had a PCV but I did have a PC3 along with a gang of their accessories and it was nothing but a flat out headache :banghead: Heard the 5 is improved but I just couldn't come2 giving dynojet anymore of my money. So far so good with the Bazzaz :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% sure but I think there are several sponsors who will flash your ECU for less than $125. I think last year Boosted cycles was offering a special and was doing it for like 40 or $50?? While your not gonna gain 100HP from it I'd still say the difference was noticeable and worth it IMO.

Was the issue all the other stuff tied into the PC3? I had a PC3 in my 04 VTX 1800 and it worked great. But no other add ons to the PC3.
That price for a simple flash sounds better. Considering all that I really want is to disable the emission and limiters. Id let the PCV handle the fuel when that time comes.
Not to get off point but, has anyone ever installed the V&H replacement head pipe and pair it to a set of slip ons?

Not to get off point but, has anyone ever installed the V&H replacement head pipe and pair it to a set of slip ons?

I have this set-up on my bike: V&H headers with YOSH CF R-77 slip-ons. Bike already had a PC V and BMC filter when I bought it. Used a canned tune from Dynojet (for an Akrapovic) and have had zero issues. I do plan to have the bike dyno'd via PC V someday.

256491d1353876339-vance-hines-header-leak-100_3052.jpg

Send your ecu to Frank at Powerhouse and you will save some money on that flash. A lot of money.

There is only one way to go and that is the ECU editor. Then change every thing get rid of all the maps and unify them all. Then add a whole bunch of chit to all the settings, Then go with the 18/40 gear ratio. Then you will have a nice bike to ride. Do not be afraid of leaning on this thing it will take it. Just get rid of the stock chit. Do not let a tuner just change a little here and there.

I have this set-up on my bike: V&H headers with YOSH CF R-77 slip-ons. Bike already had a PC V and BMC filter when I bought it. Used a canned tune from Dynojet (for an Akrapovic) and have had zero issues. I do plan to have the bike dyno'd via PC V someday.

256491d1353876339-vance-hines-header-leak-100_3052.jpg

NICE!!! Thanks for the pic. That made my mind up!

I didnt expect to see or feel a bucket load of increased HP. I am planing on getting the V&H headpipe to mate up with my Yosh slip ons. Maybe Ill wait on everything till I get the headpipe from V&H after the first of the year.
I am going to go with the PCV come time. If for no other reason than the "set it and forget it" side. Maybe I wont do the ECU flash come time. Cause other than removing the 6th gear limiter and turning off the PAIR system plus raising the redline I cant see spending $125 for just that.

You do realize that the PCV and the ECU flash do essentially the same thing, except that there are several other things you can do with the flash. Both of these things adjust the AFR maps. The PCV takes the maps from the ECU and applies a correction factor to them to get a the desired AFR map. The ECU flash just adjusts the maps stored in the ECU so they don't need to be adjusted by something like a PCV.

I'm not pushing ECU flashing, because I have a PCV and I'm very happy with it. The PCV is simple, reliable & lots of tuning options are out there. But ECU flashing eliminates the need for a PCV and gives you other performance tuning options, so it's a good option if you have access to tuners who know how to use it. The Bazzaz 1Busa is talking about is similar to a PCV as it also applies a correction factor to what comes out of the ECU, however the Bazzaz offers option like Traction Control so its a very cool product (thinking about going to that myself). It is also more expensive than the PCV by quite a bit.

If you are looking at modifications to the bike beyond the exhaust and minor cam work, the PCV has limitations. The PCV only controls the primary injectors so anything requiring more fuel than the primaries can pump will require you add a secondary fuel module to the PCV to control the secondary injectors. Also if you want to add a quick shifter you have to add the SFM so both injectors are cut when you shift. Also I dont think Dynojet offers a TC setup like the Bazzaz.

Also note that adding the V&H header to your bike is likely to push the AFRs out of normal. I would add the PCV (or whatever option you go with) with the header and tune. This is a significant change to the engine system and while it might not hurt the engine performance will suffer without a proper tune.

Back