First Time to the Dragon

I've taken 15-16 passes over 3 different trip, different times of year. The Dragon is one of the most unique stretches of road. After viewing my 50-60 Killboy photots, I can see where I might improve my riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very large police presence on the dragon so watch the speed or you'll be going home with an unwanted souvenir. Just my 2 cents.

Just a little tidbit of info: The locals do NOT call it the dragon. It's "the gap" or more often "the hill."

And for whoever it was that said don't look in your mirrors that's crazy. You need to be aware of the people that are coming up on you because the locals will most likely want to pass you. :rofl:

Be careful, stay safe, don't do anything stupid, and have fun! You can't beat the road for fun factor!

Me and my wife are probably gonna ride Sunday! I'll be on my 08 blue busa and she'll be on her 08 orange gixxer 750! Say hi if you see us!

Last edited:
dress warm-watch for sand and gravel-ride within your limits-stay in a lower gear than normal-hold your line so the locals can fly by you-have fun-look thru the curves as far as possible-no alcohol till back at your camp-----

Mine as well start looking into reserving your room for the Spring Bash now! Because after this 'lil trip you're going to be hooked for life :laugh:

What dates does the Spring Bash take place? I'm for sure interested. I usually don't start bac to work til late late April or beginning of May.

You probably don't have to worry about the popo yet, unless they increased their budget. The heavy patrols don't normally start until the tourism picks up later in the year. DO NOT treat the Dragon like a race track. It is a public road with all the surprises that come with an uncontrolled environment. Also, 318 turn in 11 miles takes alot of physical endurance, you will get tired before you get to the end. Listen to twotonevert, 2nd gear, no mirrors. Have a great time, I love that road.

And for whoever it was that said don't look in your mirrors that's crazy. You need to be aware of the people that are coming up on you because the locals will most likely want to pass you. :rofl:

You'll hear them coming up behind you. Its up to them to make a safe pass, the entire Dragon is a no passing zone, if they want to get around you. Altering your line to make it easy for them to pass could result in you going down. Locals will make the pass look easy. Don't try to keep up with them after they pass you.

Resist the urge to buy your stickers ansd t-shirts "before" the dragon run.:laugh:

Yes slow your pace and just enjoy the curves, there are plenty. And WATCH OUT for other things in your lane coming at you.

Focus, focus, focus and it's a lot of fun.

And yes do check out the Cherohola Skyway, It's breath taking.:thumbsup:

I'm dedicating a full day and as many tanks of gas that I can run thru her!! You saying not to buy the stickers and t-shirts BEFORE in case I go down, so I don't scratch them?! haha. I'm thinking these new Shinko 005 Advances are quite a bit stickier than my previous Pilot Road 2. That thing would do rolling burnouts at 40mph.

Darrell at Killboy said their is salt on the Dragon in areas so be careful. Here are some pics from his last update this past week.

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

Last edited:
This Sunday??

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

I REALLY need to warm my tires up... they're brand new and the bike hasn't left my truck bed since she came out of the shop. So, some scrubbing is in order before I get crazy. What is CROT if you don't mind me asking?

Scrubbing when its cold and salty will end with you low siding at no-mph. If your gonna "warm" your tires do it like everyone else...with the brakes...

If you are going down with the idea of dragging knee and having fun I suggest you skip this time and come back in spring. Afraid your trip will be pretty expensive if you ride the way you think you are going to get away with.

Good luck, conditions will not be great take it easy. :rulez:

Locals will make the pass look easy. Don't try to keep up with them after they pass you.

Watched an R6 eat it the my first trip up here and that is just what happened. Local got around him and he thought he could keep the pace, 4 turns later we were picking him and his bike out of an embankment.

Didn't I just here Asheville has 9" on the ground and still snowing?

Surprisingly there isn't much snow on the ground in Asheville, but there is talk of more coming. 6-8 inches of snow yesterday of which about a half inch stuck to the road. TONS AND TONS OF SALT AND SAND THO!!:banghead:

OMG all that salt/gravel or whatever it is will not make for a fun day on the dragon! :banghead:

I'm jealous! I sure wish I could make it to the Dragon this year, but it looks like I will have to wait until next year. :thumbsup:

I'm watching the weather closely. If there isn't a CLEAR shot at getting a good day of riding in I'm not even taking my bike. Hopefully they get a decent rain and get that salt off the road!!

Back