First Time to the Dragon

myfirstbusa

Registered
Ok guys, I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes. The girlfriend and I are headed to Pigeon Forge, TN sunday and while we're down there I figure I may as well take my "other" girlfriend and hit the Dragon while we're that close. I've got 9700 miles on the old girl since May and know her pretty well, so I definitely feel confident about riding the Dragon. Anything "bad" spots to watch out for? I usually only ride a road hard after I've ridden it a few times, but I for sure want to ride as hard as I can there since it may be the only time I go there this year. Unless I make it to the Spring Bash, which I'm considering. But, anyways, any and all input, be it positive or negative, is very much appreciated. Thanks.

I'd run it slow first...you could possibly run harder, but it's a tricky stretch of road for the first timers and you never know what you'll come across along the way...animals, 18-wheelers and cars in your lane, coming right at you :O It's tiring too, so if you can, run it once and back, get a feel for it, take some time to rest, then run it again...

Just have fun and stay safe. It does have spots that will bite even a seasoned rider if you're not in the right frame of mind :thumbsup:

Stay in second gear, do not, DO NOT, check your mirrors. Even a slight lapse in focus and you will be off the road. The speed limit is 35 or 25, I cant remember which. Take your time and get into a groove. The turns are banked pretty good, but most bite it are either running too hard or lose focus. Be ready for a work out, its 11 miles at the speed limit or close to it, but when you get to the other side, its all smiles. :beerchug:

And watch for patrol cars...they do crack down on that stretch of road. You'd hate to return home with a driving award :laugh:

Take it easy at least the first pass. STAY IN YOUR LANE - this may sound obvious but it's not as easy as it sounds on this road. Also consider riding the Cherahola skyway it's not as technical but a GREAT ride less traffic less police presence. And, if you see, hand painted in the road "SLOW" or "SLOW DOWN" highly suggest you do...

Take it easy at least the first pass. STAY IN YOUR LANE - this may sound obvious but it's not as easy as it sounds on this road. Also consider riding the Cherahola skyway it's not as technical but a GREAT ride less traffic less police presence. And, if you see, hand painted in the road "SLOW" or "SLOW DOWN" highly suggest you do...

That is my favorite road! Its a fast paced run, and the turns at the overlooks are 25mph for a reason, those things can be tight. :beerchug:

Hello fellow Ohioian...Trust these guys/gals when they warn you of the curves on the dragon. Everyone of them are an elbow curve the likes you have never seen in combination anywhere in ohio!

Ride safe and have all your gear.

It will take a few rides in and out of the dragon.. to get into the swing of things! Listen to what everyone here is telling you! Very good advise! Take your time... pace yourself, and enjoy yourself!:rulez:

Looks like its snowing down there. Watch out for how the roads are treated. We still have lines of sand on the roads up here.

yeah, hopefully the roads aren't salt covered or sandy, not sure what they use down there. I can only go by weather.com and it's saying 60 monday and mostly sunny!! That's good enough for me. Thanks for the tips everyone. I will make my girlfriend take some good action shots of me and my "other girlfriend" having some fun!! And, yes, I'm a fan of ATGATT. I never leave home without it. Those "other" guys who don't wear anything think they look cool... I prefer the darth vader look... no one knows if I'm black, white, man, woman, young, old... they only see a black flash go by and say "damn, that was loud and fast." This is by far my favorite forum and I absolutely love the fact that all you guys enjoy the very same thing I do... our beloved Busa's.

And dont forget to warm up your tires before you get there. Coming and going in any direction should allow you to do that. Just dont unload your bike at the CROT and take off.

I REALLY need to warm my tires up... they're brand new and the bike hasn't left my truck bed since she came out of the shop. So, some scrubbing is in order before I get crazy. What is CROT if you don't mind me asking?

Crot.... i believe it stands for Cross Roads of time.

Far end for you.... Just over the NC boarder

Gas station /gift shop/Road house/Army barricks{motel}

Last edited:
is there any place down there with an easy place to unload the bike? I HATE loading/unloading the bike out of my truck bed by myself using just a ramp.

There is a loading dock at the crot.

you will drive through the dragon first to get there. will give you a chance to take a look at it before you take your busa through.

awesome, thank you so much for the info. I'm very excited about this trip. I've disquised it as a romantic cabin getaway in Pigeon Forge... I figure ONE day on the Dragon is acceptable. She said she's gonna stay back at the cabin and read a good book.... go figure, women and their books while they're someplace awesome. Oh well, more fun for me I guess. Any place down there to buy knee pucks... I kinda forgot to order them in time:banghead:

Also, is CROT a place, town, or an address? I did a YAHOO search and didn't come up with anything. I'd like to punch it in the GPS to get an idea of where it is. Thanks.

Crossroads of Time is a resturant/gas station/hotel/souviner(sp?) shop.

it is located at the very base of the dragon. you'll notice it because you will be doing nothing but going through trees and curves for a while before you get there then you come around a corner and there it is.

they have an unloading dock close to the big dragon sign, you cant miss it.

be careful when leaving the CROT. the exit is steeper than you think it is. last year at the spring bash, we saw a guy on a cruiser lose it trying to make a right turn. dropped his bike and he himself went rolling backward. not the bike. HIM.

like everyone said, take it easy through there. DO NOT get cocky in your skills. they mean nothing when you are riding on a mountain road.

I nearly lost it my very first time going on it, which also happened to be the spring bash last year. I was able to stop myself about 4' from the edge of one of the cliffs. I came out of a corner and misread the road. I was going to fast to lay into the turn as I needed to so I made another big mistake and locked down on the brakes. I kept her up. I didnt go off the cliff. But it is a rude awakening when you are looking over the cliff from 4' away on your bike.

My point? do what everyone has said. go slow and make a few passes before you start laying into it.

Last edited:
It is cold down here and gets to a high of 45 right now. So I wouldn't take it too fast right now.

Back