First time riders..

You know, i felt alittle disapointed too when i bought my 04'. Not extremely, but when you hear years of overhyped BS about a bike and you find it's not so, you can feel slightly let down.   I also came to know of how much the weight of the rider can affect the performance of a bike.  I'm 6'4 300lbs, i've witnessed my bike in the hands of a 160lbs rider and you'd think it had a nitrous bottle turned on by how much different it performed.
I run about 190 or so...but I suspect that your size and my elevation prolly give us close to the same performance. Supposedly by the numbers I'm losing 25-27 hp at 5000 ft up  
wowold.gif

sad.gif
 Another thing is the busa is geared so damn high that you don't feel like your accelerating that hard, even tho I seem to leave my buddies on their older bikes like they're sitting still. I have to admit when I go down to sea level it feels a WHOLE lot better
laugh.gif
Wayy more like I expected it too after reading all the damn hype. I actually thought something was wrong with my bike till I rode it (with mods) back to back with a stock zx-14. Its slower but not by as much as you'd think. And the 14 didn't pull as hard as I expected either. I guess I just must be hardcore  
wowold.gif

laugh.gif

obviously its turbo-time for me  
winkold.gif

thumb_up.gif

race.gif

BTW did I mention living at 5000ft up sucks?  
thumb_down.gif

thumb_down.gif

wowold.gif

laugh.gif

thumb_down.gif

And to think i almost moved to Denver a couple years back...

I'm 39 years old and I sold my Busa because I don't posess the self control needed for these bikes. Do I miss her? Absofrigginlutly! But I enjoy coming home to my boy every night more than I miss her! If I ever grow up, I'll have another. I don't see how a young rider can have one of these as a first bike and not crash.

I'm 39 years old and I sold my Busa because I don't posess the self control needed for these bikes. Do I miss her? Absofrigginlutly! But I enjoy coming home to my boy every night more than I miss her! If I ever grow up, I'll have another. I don't see how a young rider can have one of these as a first bike and not crash.
Sounds like you are atleast wise
umnik.gif

this topic is beat to death

Busa was the 1st bike i ever rode in my life....14 months and 4000mi and im still keeping the shinny side up...6"290lbs..there was no other choice for me,other then a road king which im not even remotely interested in.

Only 4000 in 14 months? Do you every get out of second gear? ;)

I have 1300 miles on my 4 month old 08. I would have more if I lived somewhere that had warmer winters.

this topic is beat to death

Busa was the 1st bike i ever rode in my life....14 months and 4000mi and im still keeping the shinny side up...6"290lbs..there was no other choice for me,other then a road king which im not even remotely interested in.
had to giggle at that myself... thats what, a trip around the block every week? 14K in 6 months on mine..

all bikes need respect whether it a 600 or 1300 get the bike that suits you but remeber to respect it my first was a 00 gsxr 1000 and i love it. it has over 50,000 miles and it still running strong.

Never owned a bike before, not even a dirt bike. Bought my busa because it was on sale and I wieght around 275 on a bad week. That first day was the scariest day ever. But 4500 miles later I think I did ok. Yeah I can't do any cool slides with my tire, but I wouldn't even if I could. Don't do wheelies either. I leave all the cool stunts to the guys that get paid to do them. My riding skills would have been better if I got a smaller bike and worked my way up, no doubt. Would I have wrecked do to over confident riding, I think so. I ride with a few guys that think they are the next motogp champ that proves that point. That first day when I bumped the throttle to hard and scared the **** out myself did more for me then anything else could have. At the end of the day its the guy who is buying the bike who make the choice.

Busa was my first bike, 4 years ago.  I'm still alive and kickin
winkold.gif

I guess to be fair I should add that I've had dirt experience for 14 years.  And when I get ready to ride, my ultimate goal is to ride safe enough that I can come home and enjoy time w/ my kids.
In my opinion, dirt bikes are much harder to ride than stret bikes. I ride dirt before i went to street also and people think im insane when i start jumping my street bikes off lumps (small hills in the road/hwy). Im freaking used to it cause i learned so much control in the dirt. When i run across a new street rider that wants to buy a busa as a first bike, i laugh, inless they tell me they've been riding dirt already.
i grew up on dirt since i was 7 and imho i think they are alot dif. I personally think dirt is easier. Its pretty hard to go high side on the dirt
peace.gif
We all have our opinions and i have argues this many times. I remember my first time at 160 on a street bike. I had just started riding street. All i kept telling myself is "this takes nothing to do". I even took a hand off the bars as i slowed down. I bet you cant take a hand off the bars at 25 in the dirt. That makes it much hardr to me. Street bikes are stable and smooth rides,, somewhat.

Never owned a bike before, not even a dirt bike.  Bought my busa because it was on sale and I wieght around 275 on a bad week.  That first day was the scariest day ever.  But 4500 miles later I think I did ok.  Yeah I can't do any cool slides with my tire, but I wouldn't even if I could.  Don't do wheelies either.  I leave all the cool stunts to the guys that get paid to do them.  My riding skills would have been better if I got a smaller bike and worked my way up, no doubt.  Would I have wrecked do to over confident riding, I think so.  I ride with a few guys that think they are the next motogp champ that proves that point.  That first day when I bumped the throttle to hard and scared the **** out myself did more for me then anything else could have.  At the end of the day its the guy who is buying the bike who make the choice.
I was just reading this and i couldnt help but to think about this saturday. I have owned 9 various bikes in the 6 years ive been riding. Saturday i went through a u-turn and almost fell off the bike due to the fact that the throttle is so touchy in 1st on the bus. I had to put my foot down to stop from falling off. I laughed and rode on but its not a first bike choice, or even a second for that matter. Maybe its not a sane choice for anybody atall!
deadhorse.gif
kickass.gif

I love going fast.

Katrina took 4 bikes from me in 05 and i had to replace them with 5... Hey,, Factors and shi# are involved. Me being without a motorcycle is like a crack head without a crack pipe.

We have this clown at work who just bought a new $30,000 Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle something-or-other. Folks this is his first bike ---ever. I know clownette who bought a HD V-Rod as her first bike, which has already substained some hefty cosmetic damage. WTF ?

There's always the exception when it comes to newbies with big bikes. Some are naturals, most are not. Most got the bike because theirs is just like the one they saw Shaq on or it was in the latest new rap video. It's mainly a status thing, they're not into bikes, they're into people thinking that they are riders and live that life. That's why you see so many bikes less than a year old forsale every winter. By the time the cold weather hits, the novilty has worn off and now that status symbol isn't being used and it's become nothing more than an extra payment they have to deal with.

Of course, then you have the smaller group of newbies, the exception to the norm. They bought their bike because of the desire to ride, to try a skill and get out on the open road. Future motorcycle nuts that enjoy being on 2 wheels and most things that go with it. Status is probly the last thing on their minds.

When i joined the motorcycle ranks i had no idea of what it would do to my life. How it would completely transform it. A whole new world was opened up to me. It's good to ride, good for my soul. I truly understand the "Ride to live, live to ride" motto. I couldn't be without a bike now if i wanted to.
Bought my Busa ( first bike in 28 years ) 18 months ago and have close to 30K miles on it. If you come to the Bash you can see the scars from dropping her day 2 at a stop sign.

I'm just not sold on people not buying a Busa right out of the gate. I was looking at high performance cars and just happened to come across the Hayabusa by accident and saved myself 60K+.

Anyway, it was my frigging money and I'm happy with the bike and all the great friends I have met in the past 18 months.

Back