First time riders..

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I've been reading here and scanning other bike forums. It seems there's alot of newbies buying big bikes as their first ones. I forsee alot of spilt anti-freeze this year.

Not trying to predict alot of doom, i just have a feeling.
deadhorse.gif

You're probably right. Sadly, people let their egos run the show.

--Wag--

Busa was my first bike, 4 years ago.  I'm still alive and kickin
winkold.gif

I guess to be fair I should add that I've had dirt experience for 14 years. And when I get ready to ride, my ultimate goal is to ride safe enough that I can come home and enjoy time w/ my kids.

Its frame of mind and respect of the right wrist. With great power come great responsibility. Dont know who said that.

Its not just the big crash, which is more probable with a first time rider on a big bike. First time bike owners are more likely to drop it in the driveway or at a stop sign. The Busa is an expensive bike to fix even when dropped at low speed.

With the power of most of the new sportbikes I have seen more 600's dropped than the larger bikes. Just my .02

lots of boys who remember riding their 125cc dirtbikes that think they can ride the biggest,baddest bikes out there right out of the box.

Busa was my first bike, 4 years ago.  I'm still alive and kickin
winkold.gif

I guess to be fair I should add that I've had dirt experience for 14 years.  And when I get ready to ride, my ultimate goal is to ride safe enough that I can come home and enjoy time w/ my kids.
I think past riding experience (600 supersports to 2 stroke dirt bikes 125cc and up, etc) and maturity level (right hand throttle/temptation control) count the same as becoming experienced enough to handle a Busa.

I came from motocross racing @ 12 years old, rode a Gixx6 for a couple of years when in college, then got the Busa after a 4 year layoff and had no problems myself.

I think with RIGHT newbie with a new Busa should be fine. However, getting a EX500, SV 650 or any 600 class sportbike (maybe even too powerful nowadays) would be the way to go if you REALLY wanna learn to ride and improve your skills. At the track (besides the dragstrip), any experienced 250cc-1000cc rider can easily smoke a lesser experienced Busa rider. It wouldn't sound comforting knowing a 250 with only 90 rwhp or less could spank a Busa, but I've seen it happen many times at the track. Even the super/hyper motard guys are getting superfast as well. Some are even putting down times 4 seconds off the fastest Superstock times.
wowold.gif

SamBusa, 14 years of dirt bikes is a big plus, but with that experience, you should be the first to know that the bigger the power, the harder it is to master a machine. Can you master a 500cc dirt bike if you never rode a 125cc? perhaps but backing a 500 into a corner is a lot different than the same skill with a 125. I would be willing to bet that your bike skills would improve if you had a second less powerful bike to practice on. At least you know enough about riding to not get "own3d" by your bike
smile.gif

The guy that buys a busa as a first bike?
It is impossible to comprehend what it feels like to be able to ride a bike to the edge of its capabilities and then moving on to a more capable ride if you start out on a machine that "out ranks" your ability by years..

I suppose you never miss what you never had right?
smile.gif
The biggest loss I think is the ability to handle a bike in a critical situation. Without dropping a bike a few times, how do you learn to control a bike under emergency braking? Can you slide your bike on the rear tire up to a curb or around an obstacle. Learning to power slide a bike is a blast, learning on a busa? yea right, drop my $160000 bike learning silly tricks? no way... on my $500 beezer? hell ya!

So to the single bike newbie?.. you a poser or a rider? I don't really care, but keep your distance from me when we ride, I do not care to get hit by you when you over cook a corner trying to catch up.

smile.gif

There's always the exception when it comes to newbies with big bikes. Some are naturals, most are not. Most got the bike because theirs is just like the one they saw Shaq on or it was in the latest new rap video. It's mainly a status thing, they're not into bikes, they're into people thinking that they are riders and live that life. That's why you see so many bikes less than a year old forsale every winter. By the time the cold weather hits, the novilty has worn off and now that status symbol isn't being used and it's become nothing more than an extra payment they have to deal with.

Of course, then you have the smaller group of newbies, the exception to the norm. They bought their bike because of the desire to ride, to try a skill and get out on the open road. Future motorcycle nuts that enjoy being on 2 wheels and most things that go with it. Status is probly the last thing on their minds.

When i joined the motorcycle ranks i had no idea of what it would do to my life. How it would completely transform it. A whole new world was opened up to me. It's good to ride, good for my soul. I truly understand the "Ride to live, live to ride" motto. I couldn't be without a bike now if i wanted to.

Its frame of mind and respect of the right wrist. With great power come great responsibility. Dont know who said that.
Uncle Ben said that to Peter Parker.

It's true, though.

Seriously, though, I don't think I have enough experience and here's mine:

1 year ninja 250
2 years 03 Yammy R6
2 years 98 gsxr 750
Now the busa and I'm scared as piss of it

There's always the exception when it comes to newbies with big bikes. Some are naturals, most are not. Most got the bike because theirs is just like the one they saw Shaq on or it was in the latest new rap video.  It's mainly a status thing, they're not into bikes, they're into people thinking that they are riders and live that life.  That's why you see so many bikes less than a year old forsale every winter. By the time the cold weather hits, the novilty has worn off and now that status symbol isn't being used and it's become nothing more than an extra payment they have to deal with.  

Of course, then you have the smaller group of newbies, the exception to the norm. They bought their bike because of the desire to ride, to try a skill and get out on the open road.  Future motorcycle nuts that enjoy being on 2 wheels and most things that go with it. Status is probly the last thing on their minds.

When i joined the motorcycle ranks i had no idea of what it would do to my life. How it would completely transform it.  A whole new world was opened up to me.  It's good to ride, good for my soul. I truly understand the "Ride to live, live to ride" motto. I couldn't be without a bike now if i wanted to.
I can relate to what you said. I have always been into bikes, loved motorcycles since I was boy. It wasnt until I met Juli that I was encouraged to be me and live life. I had a bike when we met, but never really had anyone to enjoy it with. When we purchased the busa, I never dreamed it would evolve into what it is now. I never dreamed I would be a member of this wonderful forum, or of the friends I would make. I love this life style. Now look, Juli has her own bike and we are having fun, living life and do what we love to do. Life is too short folks, dont be stupid, but have fun!
ThumbsUp.gif

I had been riding for a long..... time when I bought my 03, on a variety of bikes from motocross to harley to sport bikes. But even with all my experience and various safety courses I wasen't prepared for the power of the Busa. When I rode it home from the dealer it was like Oh My God...... I found the power to be immediately addictive. I also realized immediately that I had to master the beast or it would master me. Fortunately I survived the initial need for speed without getting hurt. I still ride hard and fast, but I pick the time and place carefully. Some have sucessfully learned to ride the Busa as a first bike, buy many others have been hurt or killed because they didn't know how to respond in an emergency situation. So, should someone buy the Busa as a first bike; my answer would definately be no. But thats just my opnion.

Back