First time riders..

That's why you see so many bikes less than a year old forsale every winter. By the time the cold weather hits, the novilty has worn off and now that status symbol isn't being used and it's become nothing more than an extra payment they have to deal with.  
That's when I buy my bikes, end of Summer. Then I spend the whole winter doing all the maintenance the poser neglected. I can't lie, though, I do like doing it.

Discourse between me and the the ex-owner (abusive bastard) of my Busa:
Me
"So when was the oil changed last??"
Him
"I don't remember...two years ago, maybe??"
Me
"Are you serious?? What about the brake fluid and Coolant?"
him
"um, it has disc brakes and you don't have to change coolant for 7/100000miles"
Me
"Umm....Right"

Its frame of mind and respect of the right wrist. With great power come great responsibility. Dont know who said that.
you did
laugh.gif

Busa was my first bike, 4 years ago.  I'm still alive and kickin
winkold.gif

I guess to be fair I should add that I've had dirt experience for 14 years.  And when I get ready to ride, my ultimate goal is to ride safe enough that I can come home and enjoy time w/ my kids.
That's cause you ride like a Mary!! We'll see what you got this summer boy!
deadhorse.gif

winkold.gif

I guess to be fair I should add that I've had dirt experience for 14 years.  And when I get ready to ride, my ultimate goal is to ride safe enough that I can come home and enjoy time w/ my kids.
In my opinion, dirt bikes are much harder to ride than stret bikes. I ride dirt before i went to street also and people think im insane when i start jumping my street bikes off lumps (small hills in the road/hwy). Im freaking used to it cause i learned so much control in the dirt. When i run across a new street rider that wants to buy a busa as a first bike, i laugh, inless they tell me they've been riding dirt already.

winkold.gif

In my opinion, dirt bikes are much harder to ride than stret bikes. I ride dirt before i went to street also and people think im insane when i start jumping my street bikes off lumps (small hills in the road/hwy). Im freaking used to it cause i learned so much control in the dirt. When i run across a new street rider that wants to buy a busa as a first bike, i laugh, inless they tell me they've been riding dirt already.
i grew up on dirt since i was 7 and imho i think they are alot dif. I personally think dirt is easier. Its pretty hard to go high side on the dirt
peace.gif

Well, my busa was my first bike. But I wanted it because I ride 300 miles a week just commuting back and forth to work. And I like to ride long distances on weekends. I wanted a comfortable bike for long rides without have the large payments that comes with most cruisers. I can handle my bike pretty well, and its pretty much the only riding I know. I recently considered buying a 1k and after the test ride gave up on the idea because when I first rode my busa I was in love and I didnt get that feeling on the 1k. Now, there are an number of downsides because I started the busa, I never learned to wheelie, I am not aggressive in turns, and when riding with my sportbike friends in a group I always ride in the back, as I fit better with the cruiser crowd than the sportbike. Its all in your riding style, thats what one should consider when purchasing a bike. Forget about engine size, hypersport and what not. Ask yourself why am I thinking of buying this bike. If its because you want to be the baddest Mofo on 2 wheels the busa is not for you. No, bike is good for you because, you are going to try and do way to much too soon and even on a 600 bad things will happen.

Well, my busa was my first bike.  But I wanted it because I ride 300 miles a week just commuting back and forth to work.  And I like to ride long distances on weekends.  I wanted a comfortable bike for long rides without have the large payments that comes with most cruisers.  I can handle my bike pretty well, and its pretty much the only riding I know.  I recently considered buying a 1k and after the test ride gave up on the idea because when I first rode my busa I was in love and I didnt get that feeling on the 1k.  Now, there are an number of downsides because I started the busa, I never learned to wheelie, I am not aggressive in turns, and when riding with my sportbike friends in a group I always  ride in the back, as I fit better with the cruiser crowd than the sportbike. Its all in your riding style, thats what one should consider when purchasing a bike. Forget about engine size, hypersport and what not.  Ask yourself why am I thinking of buying this bike. If its because you want to be the baddest Mofo on 2 wheels the busa is not for you.  No, bike is good for you because, you are going to try and do way to much too soon and even on a 600 bad things will happen.
If someone has a "cruiser" mentality as a general personality than the busa is not a bad choice. No you will never use it to it's potential but who cares
rock.gif

I bought mine simply cause it was the most comfy and best looking.
thumb_up.gif

I like heavy bikes. Grew up riding bikes that were too heavy for me. so the busa feels normal. The lighter bikes I didn't hate just wasn't quite what "I" was use to.
rock.gif

rock.gif

I bought mine simply cause it was the most comfy and best looking.
thumb_up.gif

I like heavy bikes. Grew up riding bikes that were too heavy for me. so the busa feels normal. The lighter bikes I didn't hate just wasn't quite what "I" was use to.
rock.gif
If that's your reason for buying the busa, then it will treat you well and you will be fine - you bought it for the reason they made it. It's a sportbike for the guy who wants a fast sharp bike, but doesn't want a 350lb pocket rocket that you lay on.

In all seriousness, how ridiculous is this motorcycle? It breaks the law 2.3 seconds after you take off.

anyone ever ridden with any of these "First bike" "One bike" wonders?

some of the riding skills are "Unique" to put it nicely...

unable to hold lanes, corner like they are on a tricycle, can do a wheelie, lock the rear tire, and of course do it all with one hand on the handlebars...

They seem to have a "special" way of riding having never knowing what a bike should be able to handle or how to make it do it..

There's always the exception when it comes to newbies with big bikes. Some are naturals, most are not. Most got the bike because theirs is just like the one they saw Shaq on or it was in the latest new rap video.  It's mainly a status thing, they're not into bikes, they're into people thinking that they are riders and live that life.  That's why you see so many bikes less than a year old forsale every winter. By the time the cold weather hits, the novilty has worn off and now that status symbol isn't being used and it's become nothing more than an extra payment they have to deal with.  

Of course, then you have the smaller group of newbies, the exception to the norm. They bought their bike because of the desire to ride, to try a skill and get out on the open road.  Future motorcycle nuts that enjoy being on 2 wheels and most things that go with it. Status is probly the last thing on their minds.

When i joined the motorcycle ranks i had no idea of what it would do to my life. How it would completely transform it.  A whole new world was opened up to me.  It's good to ride, good for my soul. I truly understand the "Ride to live, live to ride" motto. I couldn't be without a bike now if i wanted to.
It couldn't have been stated better!
clap.gif

What's also hillarious is reading a post from a newbie, saying he/she will "respect the bike and ride no faster than the speed limit." HA!!! As soon as they find out how smooth, linear and managable the Busa powerband is in the bottom end, they'll wanna twist more and more until they find out what it can REALLY do. That's the dangerous part. The false confidence/skill it creates in the newbie's ability.

Seriously, how many of you actually buy the Busa to cruise around town and not exploit the power? Nuff said.

unable to hold lanes, corner like they are on a tricycle, can do a wheelie, lock the rear tire, and of course do it all with one hand on the handlebars...

They seem to have a "special" way of riding having never knowing what a bike should be able to handle or how to make it do it..
Yup.

that pretty much defines the modern day Squid.

Want a testament to how I ride? Ask Busa SS or Fonzie. Or I can give you #'s to other riding friends that I ride with. I have yet to have anyone complain about the way I ride. Have no clue how to wheelie, nor do I want to know how to wheelie. I have wheelied but only under hard acceleration.

I didn't buy my bike because it was "the fastest" I went to the dealership and looked at just about every bike there. The only one that was comfortable was the Busa. I dont ride a couple miles and then put it back in the garage. My first 6 months of having it, I had 10k miles on it. Try doing that on a litre bike or 600. It's not unusual for me to have 600+ mile day trips. Last trip was 3 days and 1300 miles. It is my daily ride 9 months out of the year. I dont ride when there is snow on the ground for some reason
dunno.gif

I'm not claiming to be a great rider. I learn, then re-learn and then learn again. Any biker should be doing that. I dont drag my knees. Could I? Probably but why? It's not necessary for me to drag my knees to enjoy the ride.

I've dropped it twice. Both before I was a member here and learned about the kickstand mod. Have not dropped it since doing the mod.

winkold.gif

That's cause you ride like a Mary!! We'll see what you got this summer boy!
deadhorse.gif
wowold.gif

Are you sure you want a "single bike" newbie riding your Busa?
shutup.gif

I bought my wife a Katana last year. She drove it and put about 1200 miles on it. We traded it in and got a 2008 Hayabusa. She knows that she has to be careful and respect bike since I have a busa as well. She has drove it already around a little and loves it. I think it depends on the person's intelligence/common sense if they can ride a busa. I think she will be fine after some more seat time. Also, I taught her how to ride last year. So I would still consider her a beginner. I am impressed in her being able to listen to me and understand certain things that I point out that are important to understand about riding bikes. I expect her to be fine.

I bought my wife a Katana last year. She drove it and put about 1200 miles on it. We traded it in and got a 2008 Hayabusa. She knows that she has to be careful and respect bike since I have a busa as well. She has drove it already around a little and loves it. I think it depends on the person's intelligence/common sense if they can ride a busa. I think she will be fine after some more seat time. Also, I taught her how to ride last year. So I would still consider her a beginner. I am impressed in her being able to listen to me and understand certain things that I point out that are important to understand about riding bikes. I expect her to be fine.
Columbus eh? We'll be needing to meet up at some point this year
winkold.gif

"traction" is usually what gets you hurt
beerchug.gif
Traction makes a big difference. Not as many people are highsiding dirt bikes as much as street bikes.My dirt riding help's alot but I still never rode a 175hp dirt bike.I love riding the dirt bike on the rear wheel but I don't think I could do it on the busa,or would want to.

Back