First time at the track last night!

Amelio

Registered
Had a great time made 5 passes did not break anything and kept the rubber side down!

I obviously need lots of practice I just could not get the bike to leave good and when it did leave I could not keep the front tire down in first and second. I tried launching at lower rpm and also tried at higher and slipping the clutch. Either way I need a ton more work on getting the bike to leave.

The one good thing is that everyone run was exactly the same wheelie through first and seond 10.8@135 except one pass it spun bad outta the hole that was an 11.1

Bike is pretty much stock just has a full muzzy Titainum system and a rear sprocket +3 some more practice I would be happy with a low 10 sec pass.

Either way I had a fun time!

10.8 is respectful for a SWB no Straps. Not sure of your weight but low 10's is a challenge if your not a light weight such as -175
What is your 60' times. You need to be in the mid 1.73- 1.75 for low 10's 1/8 should be high 6.60's around 113-114
I am around 255 suited running a full Akrapovic (stock ecu - now PC) +3 on the rear and can run 10.25's Fastest pass was a 10.17 which was in 103F degree
weather. It is a challenge to ride SWB Busa

10.8 is respectful for a SWB no Straps. Not sure of your weight but low 10's is a challenge if your not a light weight such as -175
What is your 60' times. You need to be in the mid 1.73- 1.75 for low 10's 1/8 should be high 6.60's around 113-114
I am around 255 suited running a full Akrapovic (stock ecu - now PC) +3 on the rear and can run 10.25's Fastest pass was a 10.17 which was in 103F degree
weather. It is a challenge to ride SWB Busa

I am 190 dont know what I weight suited up probably around 205 or so I have never weighed my suite,boots and helmet.
My 60' suck something awful my best was a 1.92 and that was coming out just off idle. I talked to a guy there who was really fast......9's on a stock bike he was telling me to come out at much higher rpm 7-8k and slip the clutch.....I have never left like that so when I tried my 60' slowed to 2.0-2.1

I can see how coming out like that will make me quicker but its gonna take a lot of practice. I think I can get to a 10.5 or so they way I am currently leaving I just need to keep the nose on the ground......I am not really going WOT in first because I am on the back tire and that is really killing me. If I could bust off a mid to low 10 I will be verry happy but I may need to strap the front down for that.

The thing that was killing me was there was a kid there on a GSXR 750 I think it was an '06 he said he was all stock just had a full yosh and a PC....stock wheel base no strap and he was busting off 10.6 @135!!!!!!!!!! I can see the 10.6 with a really good launch but I would never have imagined a 750 making that kind of mph.

I do need to get a PC3 and a tune my exhaust may actually be hurting me I thought my mph would be a little higher.

Just takes practice! Get a strap for the front, lower it in the rear, and PRACTICE!! I am heavier than you and went 9.7's consistently SWB on mine with just a pipe. :beerchug:

Just takes practice! Get a strap for the front, lower it in the rear, and PRACTICE!! I am heavier than you and went 9.7's consistently SWB on mine with just a pipe. :beerchug:

I just orderd a strap from Brocks and I got a set of adjustable lowering links from when the bike used to be stretched. I plan to get back to the track next week. I think even with my sucky 60' I should get in the 10.5 to 10.3 range if I could just keep the fron tire on the ground.....I am not really gettinf full throttle anywhere in first.

I will post up my times when I get back to the track.....they are closed this weekend for Labor day so it will have to be the following weekend.

I am 190 dont know what I weight suited up probably around 205 or so I have never weighed my suite,boots and helmet.
My 60' suck something awful my best was a 1.92 and that was coming out just off idle. I talked to a guy there who was really fast......9's on a stock bike he was telling me to come out at much higher rpm 7-8k and slip the clutch.....I have never left like that so when I tried my 60' slowed to 2.0-2.1

I can see how coming out like that will make me quicker but its gonna take a lot of practice. I think I can get to a 10.5 or so they way I am currently leaving I just need to keep the nose on the ground......I am not really going WOT in first because I am on the back tire and that is really killing me. If I could bust off a mid to low 10 I will be verry happy but I may need to strap the front down for that.

The thing that was killing me was there was a kid there on a GSXR 750 I think it was an '06 he said he was all stock just had a full yosh and a PC....stock wheel base no strap and he was busting off 10.6 @135!!!!!!!!!! I can see the 10.6 with a really good launch but I would never have imagined a 750 making that kind of mph.

I do need to get a PC3 and a tune my exhaust may actually be hurting me I thought my mph would be a little higher.

7-8K Launch RPMS on a SWB Busa is not needed. The Busa has plenty of low end grunt to pull her out of the hole faster then you can handle her at 5K to 5.5K RPMS. Launching that high will burn your clutch faster.
With your weight you should have no problem running 10.1's or 10.2s no straps.....
Lowering the rear doesnt help with wheelies on a SWB bike its more important to adjust your dampings properly to allow the rear suspension work on launch.

IMO; Need to learn, clutch and throttle control, body postion to launch before you start strapping and lowering you will become a better motorcycle drag racer.

7-8K Launch RPMS on a SWB Busa is not needed. The Busa has plenty of low end grunt to pull her out of the hole faster then you can handle her at 5K to 5.5K RPMS. Launching that high will burn your clutch faster.
With your weight you should have no problem running 10.1's or 10.2s no straps.....
Lowering the rear doesnt help with wheelies on a SWB bike its more important to adjust your dampings properly to allow the rear suspension work on launch.

IMO; Need to learn, clutch and throttle control, body postion to launch before you start strapping and lowering you will become a better motorcycle drag racer.

well 10.3-10.1 is where i would like to be.......so your saying i should be able to get there leaving softer? at what rpm? If i know what I should expect from the bike then I know where i need to work. I feel if I strap the fron that will hep limit the wheelies is that not correct? I was going to run the bike again with just the strap before dropping the rear I would actually prefer not to lower the rear. I dont want to get into changing the bikes setup too much a strap is simple.....i emjoy the way the bike feels in the turns it is currently set up for that.

Dragging the bike is just for fun I dont think i will get too serious with it.....I have 2 cars I drag regularly the bike is just easy and cost less. I wanna bust off a low 10 because honestly a bike capable of 9's should do so with an appropriate rider:banghead: I am not looking to max the bike out any way.I just hate that a stock 750 is faster than me I gotta fix that!???

Its all in the clutch control and body postion on the launch.
You can leave at 11000 but if your slipping the clutch to much your just burning the clutch plates up.
The goal is, to get the clutch out as fast as you can and go WOT. This is all a challenge on SWB no strapped busa.
What is your gearing.... The power wheelies are going to happen in 1st on GENII's and lift into 2nd.
I go WOT and when the front begins to lift at around 6500 I adjust my throttle to tote the front wheel about 5" and keep
it up thru 2nd and she will come down in 3rd

Try and adjust the throttle to carry the front wheel about 5-6" through first.. Also I am not sure if you are using the clutch to shift but if you are it will kill your ET about a .10 compared to clutchless shifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '06 but my gearing is most likely whats doing it I am +3 in the rear......I do get the clutch out pretty fast actually my first past I pretty much left off idle as soon as I got out past the tree I pinned the trhottle and up she came pretty high probably a good 2-3 feet I tried to feather it out with out loosing too much throttle.....I set it down and pulled second and back up again.

Between the wheelies I am sure I am loosing a solid.2-.3 and a few mph. The next five passes I tried to leave with RPM as the guy I talked to said I need to get out past the tq curve on the bike and it wont wheelie.....basically the other 4 passes were exactly the same I did leave different each time but still wheelie through first and half of second.

I know I need practice on the clutch control but as it was explained to me I need to get the clutch out fast (which I do but at lower rpm) but if at higher rpm the bike will be past the tq curve and not want to come up so fast. I also do shift using the clutch.

BTW is that Bowling green you are at? If not it looks just like it...I have a Buick Grand National I drag and have been to that track a few times.

I am sure if I had a stock rear sprocket it would not be as bad but as I said I have the bike setup for street riding and hitting the twisties.

Try and adjust the throttle to carry the front wheel about 5-6" through first.. Also I am not sure if you are using the clutch to shift but if you are it will kill your ET about a .10 compared to clutchless shifts.

I never shift without my clutch. Unless I am using the air shifter.

My 60ft's were 1.61-64 when I was running 9.7's @ 149-151mph. I was lowered and strapped. That is also 6.33 if I recall in the 1/8. I was only taking off around 4K or so. Anything more would be a definitely wheelie! Keep up the practice and no stock 750 will ever touch you!:beerchug:

Clutchless shifts are much better, and faster. Just put a pressure on the shifter and blip the throttle. Eventually you'll see that you only need to go to about half throttle on the blip. If you are one of those guys that uses the clutch but leaves the throttle open you're just putting extra heat into the clutch and going slower. If you let off the throttle and use the clutch, you are just going slower.

Clutchless shifts are much better, and faster. Just put a pressure on the shifter and blip the throttle. Eventually you'll see that you only need to go to about half throttle on the blip. If you are one of those guys that uses the clutch but leaves the throttle open you're just putting extra heat into the clutch and going slower. If you let off the throttle and use the clutch, you are just going slower.

Not sure why anyone would leave the throttle open and pull the clutch in????? Seems like a risky move there! No, I let off and shift ( and yes it's a very fast procedure) at the same time. Oh, and for the record my original plates lasted over a season and 9K miles. It doesn't matter for me now I use a air shifter. I was just trying to give the OP advice and help a "newbie" not tear anything up by using all of his equipment.

Thanks for all the input.......I personally use my clutch on every shift whether it is slower or faster I feel it is easier on the bike. I have not drag raced bikes hardly ever but I have been riding for 15 years.....as mentioned before I am not too concerned with maxing out the bike, if I ever get enough practice to get into the 9's that would be great but I am truly just looking for a low 10 sec pass. I have no interest in changing lots of things on the bike and I want to ride it with the least amount of abuse.

Thanks again for all the input.

So you feel its easier on the bike to launch it at a higher RPM then needed such as 8+ grand and use your clutch going down the dragstrip?
I been drag racing motorcycles for over 22 years.
we are trying to give you advice so you will stop embarassing us by having 750' beat you on a track.

Thanks for all the input.......I personally use my clutch on every shift whether it is slower or faster I feel it is easier on the bike. I have not drag raced bikes hardly ever but I have been riding for 15 years.....as mentioned before I am not too concerned with maxing out the bike, if I ever get enough practice to get into the 9's that would be great but I am truly just looking for a low 10 sec pass. I have no interest in changing lots of things on the bike and I want to ride it with the least amount of abuse.

Just keep practicing! You will get there. 60ft is key. The strap and lowering kit will help you GUARANTEED!! Report back!:beerchug:

Listen to Yankee, I can run a little faster but he is way more consistent than I will ever be he knows his stuff. I have an 07 with 63,000 miles my best time was a 10.02 at 144mph, its mostly stock, muzzy and lowered 1" in rear. When the front came up I could only run a 10.3, need to work on keeping the front down and slipping the clutch to control it. I try to be out of the clutch and WOT by the tree. I launch at 10k RPM and try to not let it drop below 7k when taking off. Just takes practice bud, my first time racing a 1/4 I think I was up in the 10.5 range but after about 10 passes I was down in the 10.1 10.2 range.

It sounds like the drag bug is starting to bite, I put a NOS kit on my bike to try and get the 9's and well by the 3rd bottle I blew my motor and never dragged it, however I did eat up a gen 2 on the street lol. It gets expensive really quick. If you add nitrous, I don't care what anyone tells you or anything you hear, it does not matter how much or how little you spray you absolutely without a doubt HAVE TO ADD FUEL WITH IT!!!! I was told under 60 didn't need it, I sprayed 30 and ..... well ..... poof!

Oh and I use the clutch to shift but its not to be easier on the bike because the tranny is built for it. The reason I do it is because I never have to let off the gas WOT from green to end

Also using clutch to shift and slipping the clutch at 10k rpm and my stock clutch lasted 45,000 miles......just sayin'....

Back