Back at the track last night....better pass but still not what I want

Amelio

Registered
Made it back out to the track last night....second time ever on a bike. I was there 2 weeks ago and could not muster anything better than a 10.86 at 135. My '60's suck real bad. Well Last night it was about the same story first pass 10.89 at 135 the front was floating all the way down and I drifted over to the left side of the lane.

next pass was about the same....horrible 2.1 60's..... a local racer there adjusted my rebound in the rear shock and that helped a ton with the wheelies. next pass was still a bad 60' 2.0 but ran a 10.74@ 136

That pass the nose stayed down and it felt good so I decided to try and leave a lil harder this time......well I did and spun ran 2.2 '60 lol!

next pass lowerd the air in the rear and came out the same....it was my best pass ran a 1.91 '60 which still blows but an improvement for me.....went through at 10.53 @137 I was excided to see the drop so the next pass I really wanted to come out good.

This time I just let the clutch out too fast right about at the tree I was 12 o'clock! set it down and came right back up.....I thought for a second....I may have to put my feet down lol!!!! ran through at 10.9

That was the last pass....it was really crowded last night only got 5 passes which makes it very hard to get practice in. All in all I had fun made an improvement. I was really hoping to get a sub 10.5 but just cant seem to get the bike outta the gate right. Last week my brother went and he made 11 passes....figures I could not make it and then last night it was crowded as hell! I really need a quite night almost to where I can hot lap it to get this clutch thing down.

By the sound of it, I'm going to assume you are stock height and length with no strap. If that is the case, then getting it out will be tough. The first rule of drag racing (especially testing and tuning) is you are not racing anyone buy yourself. With that said, don't worry about cutting a good light. The timer doesn't start until you break the beams. Let the light go green. Wrap your wrist on the throttle so that your elbow is approx parallel to the ground. SMOOTHLY slide the clutch while bringing your throttle in. This is the hardest part since your sense of self preservation will be fighting with your sense of going fast. If you can get the clutch out and the throttle pinned quickly enough you'll make great numbers. Busa's love the front half.

Tell some more about your set up.

Not really sure if you have a GENI or GENII.. If you have a GENII you can take off in C mode then hit A mode when you shift into 2nd.
Taking off in C mode will allow you to get more aggressive with your throttle and make the clutch slip easier to you get the rhytme down.

Not really sure how your launching, are you taking off from idle and then throttling it after the clutch is released?

Pre Stage.... Bring your RPMS up to 5500, roll forward, bring the bottom stage lights on, as the lights start to drop slowly release your clutch as your slowly rolling the throttle on as soon as you see the last yellow light light up. even this method you should be able to see a 1.85

I'm on a GenI its an '06LE I have a full muzzy Titanium system with a PCV......I did have a strap this past Friday but did not have one two weeks ago when I went. on my first few passes the front end stayed in the air and the bike was drifting over to the left side of the lane. A local racer there Don Chavous adjusted the rebound in the rear shock that helped the wheelie issue a bunch! At that point I was able to focus more on the launch my next 2 passes were faster leading to the best of a 10.53

I am staging about how you are describing Lankeeyankee.....the only thing is I think my launch rpms are probably closer to 4k and yes Moparict I agree with you and I care nothing about cutting a good light.....I have been drag racing cars for years but this was my second outing on the bike.

Lankee my best 60' was a 1.91......I will try coming out at 5500 as you suggested and yeah that should get me in the 1.8ish area......I am still having a hard time getting the timing of how fast to release the clutch.

Are you stock wheelbase? I was going low 1.5x's 60ft at 4 inches over. Stock I was going mid 1.6x's in the 60ft. There are better out there, but I'm just an average rider.

I'm on a GenI its an '06LE I have a full muzzy Titanium system with a PCV......I did have a strap this past Friday but did not have one two weeks ago when I went. on my first few passes the front end stayed in the air and the bike was drifting over to the left side of the lane. A local racer there Don Chavous adjusted the rebound in the rear shock that helped the wheelie issue a bunch! At that point I was able to focus more on the launch my next 2 passes were faster leading to the best of a 10.53

I am staging about how you are describing Lankeeyankee.....the only thing is I think my launch rpms are probably closer to 4k and yes Moparict I agree with you and I care nothing about cutting a good light.....I have been drag racing cars for years but this was my second outing on the bike.

Lankee my best 60' was a 1.91......I will try coming out at 5500 as you suggested and yeah that should get me in the 1.8ish area......I am still having a hard time getting the timing of how fast to release the clutch.

Bike drifting while on the back wheel can be caused by the following
Cross winds
Rider Position
Or misaligned rear wheel.

You can compensate if the wind is constant by adjusting the aligment of the rear axle, or you transfer your weight left / right to compensate the direction of path.

yes Mopraict I am SWB.....I am sure I can get down in the 1.7-1.6X 60ft its just gonna take some practice.

Lankee....I think the first few passes the drifting issue was my body position......after Don adjusted the rebound it was not wheeling so bad and the drifting problem was not there.

yes Mopraict I am SWB.....I am sure I can get down in the 1.7-1.6X 60ft its just gonna take some practice.

Lankee....I think the first few passes the drifting issue was my body position......after Don adjusted the rebound it was not wheeling so bad and the drifting problem was not there.

We all ride differently! It will show on the dragstrip mostly on launches carrying the front wheel even more so on wheelie bar bikes.
I rode another riders dragbike last year in a race and on every launch it would shoot off to the right on the launch, this was due to the orginal riders setup who must have poistioned his body different on the bike.
If you find yourself drifting try adjusting your seat postion meaning when you sit on the bike offsetting your azz cheeks on the seat or axle alignment which doesnt take much.

Back