1st 1/4 mile last night.....need help!

ca4816

Registered
I ran a quarter mile for the 1st time last night at Infineon. I have a bone stock 2002 with Yoshi cans and a K&N filter. My best pass:

Dial: 10.80
R/T: .540
60': 1.915
330': 4.758
1/8: 7.046
MPH: 107.18
1000: 9.016
1/4: 10.696
MPH: 133.03

I was only able to make 3 passes. The first was 11.4, the 2nd was 10.9. On both of those passes I lit up the rear tire which resulted in 60's of 2.4 and 2.1. A couple of the guys at the track suggeted I lower my tire pressure to around 18 - 20 lbs from the 38 I had!. I did that on my third pass and it finally hooked up. Unfortunately, I wheelied off the line and again towards the end of 1st gear. In spite of the wheelies, I ran my best 60' and ET. All 3 times I left the line at 4-4500 RPM....I think.

What should I be running for 60 and 1/4? i weigh 205 with full gear. I have a Metzer Sporttech 200/50 on the rear. Thanks for the suggestions.

fully respectable times for a first time out...

You have 3 tenths in the first 60' easily and maybe even 4 or 5 if you can hammer it..

Your MPH indicates a soft tune up too.. (I have the same issue) probably another 7-10 mph in the bike.. Realistic times? low 10's? MAYBE a high nine with some minor work and practice?

Overall I would say nice job... :)

[/MEDIA] See if this does not work better boosta...

Last edited by a moderator:
good first time passes, it just takes time and practice to get some really good times, learning to drive the clutch and body positioning will help ya also...

Gears: Down a tooth in the front, up 2 in the back, Suspension: There is a little screw on the bottom of your rear shock for adjustment. Turn it clockwise till it stops, then turn counter clockwise 4 clicks, this will let the rearend squat and not rebound so hard, and order a strap for the front (try Schnitz). Tire pressure: 15 to 22 psi, depending on how they prepped the track. With a stock clutch, don't just drop it, slip it, but get it out well before 60 ft. You can't beat the stock clutches! Mine lasted 4 years of slipping at the dragstrip, and were still in spec when I changed them out.

looks like you had some good first time passes. what length are you at? What's your gearing?

btw... it look slike you broke out by a bit... shoulda sand bangged a little. :sneaky:

I look for tips from Rickie Gadson and the best one I found was with no bars try to have the clutch all the way out and the throttle WFO by the 60ft mark. I also launch with my left foot already on the peg Ready to shift to 2nd. I have an auto air shifter now and still start out with just the right foot on the ground to get into my tuck quicker. Hope this helps.

IMG_1856.jpg

What was I doing wring Mr. B????

2 ways to post vids... post the code you copy from YouTube, and highlight it

THEN click the little YouTube icon in the post window.. it will bracket the code with the youtube tags.. or hit the YouTube icon and then put your cursor between the tags and paste your code... (you could just type in the tags too)
PHP:
[MEDIA=YOUTUBE] code goes here [/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
I look for tips from Rickie Gadson and the best one I found was with no bars try to have the clutch all the way out and the throttle WFO by the 60ft mark. I also launch with my left foot already on the peg Ready to shift to 2nd. I have an auto air shifter now and still start out with just the right foot on the ground to get into my tuck quicker. Hope this helps.

be gentle when you let the clutch lever out towards the end or you will be seeing the sky quickly. I speak from experience... lol

Back