First ride today.....

nychris

Registered
I got my bike registered and insured today and took her out for the first time. First off, my prior riding experience includes 4 months with my R6 before I jumped to the HB. I was nervous before the ride because of all the stories you hear about this bike, but once I started riding everything was great!

Speed/Power
Its definitely a fast bike and is significantly more powerful than my R6, but that power can easily be contained by keepin the RPMs below 6000....this was my primary concern. I felt very confident and in control on this bike, I don't believe its any harder to ride than my little R6.

Turning/Cornering
Turning was basically the same, the HB is about 150lbs heavier but I didn't feel much of a difference for street riding. If I were to race the bikes at a track, I bet the HB wouldn't be nearly as good as the R6, but for street riding its a non-factor for me.

Braking
The biggest difference I found was braking. It takes much longer to brake on the HB and the rear brake doesn't seem to do anything to slow the bike down. On the R6, I've using both front and rear brakes simultaneously to come to a stop. On the HB, the rear brake feels useless, its almost like its broke.

Cruising
This bike rides so smooth, you can't even tell when you're going fast.. I feel the same doing 20mph as I do doing 120mph, which was the top speed I got her up to on my first day. I think I was in 2nd or 3rd gear doing 120, there was PLENTY more where that came from if I really wanted to ride the bike hard which I'm looking forward to.

Overall
I was nervous before I rode the bike because I understand the power behind this thing, but all of my fears were groundless. If you are not riding this bike hard, it really isn't much different than an R6 or any other modern crotch rocket. Going back to the age old question "Is a Hayabusa a good first bike", which is asked every day on every Hayabusa forum on the internet......I would have to say "no", you do need some riding exerpience beforehand, but not as much as some like to believe. If I bought this bike instead of the R6 last summer, I would have wrecked it for sure because those first few weeks riding are the hardest. IMO, conquer one sport bike and you'll be ready for the Hayabusa. The bike is a beast, but it can be tamed by a competent rider.

Congratulations on your new Busa.... Post some pics when you can.

I love mine and will never sell it.

Don't be fooled by that rear brake like I was. I took it for granted because if you try to use it alone while coming to a stop while going straight... it will do nothing. That's a fact.

But... apply too much rear brake during a hard turn and it WILL LOCK UP on you... I discovered that on Sunday afternoon. So... use it wisely. The Busa is a monster because it tricks you into thinking its a tame bike sometimes... but turn that throttle and you'll see what she can do! In any gear! You can cruise along at 5th gear going like 60 down a back road while taking it easy... and you can still just turn the throttle to pass any other vehicle on the road if you need to. No need to downshift. It has all the power you need even in the high gears.... amazing bike! Amazing power!

And... after your new tires start wearing down a little, you start feeling the Busa's weight... as the tires get softer.

With new tires, it feels very nimble. When the tires get worn some, it becomes "normal" and quite heavy during stops or slow riding. If I was a millionaire, I'd change to new tires every 300 miles! But I'm not... and I won't.... for now.

Good for you Chris... congrats!
cool.gif

Color? Year?

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153287667 -->

Here's a link to a pic.   Its a 2002 Limited Edition black that I bought from a member on this board in the Classifieds forum.   Someone told me it looks like the Batmobile earlier, lol, I guess I know who I'm going to be for halloween now.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: "reduced pic size"|1153328003 -->

busa_cropped__Small_.jpg

....... we all know that black is the fastest color. Congratulations, homie!!!

Hey Chris--welcome & congrats. I like the "stealth" look of your ride. Just don't get too complacent with the 'busa--she loves to run and be handled!!!

If you're doing 120mph in 2nd or 3rd gear and it's your first day on a busa.... ya need to tone it down, man!!!

That high speed in those low gears will break it in for sure!!! LOL!!! So... UP-SHIFT! It will hit 120+ in 4th, 5th, and 6th, too!!!

so I take it that you got your 1k back from the deadbeat seller on the ebay scam? did amex just remove the charge?

Back