Just bought a new Hayabusa today

I came from an R6 (actually a total of 4 one street/ 3 race) as well and honestly, the Busa is easier to ride in everyday situations. The power is very linear however, you will want to take your time because this bike is so smooth that what is work for most bikes is nothing for a Hayabusa when it comes to getting up to speed. A slight throttle on an R6 will leave you at let's say 80mph? On a Hayabusa, a decent amount of throttle can put you in triple digits without effort. The weight will be the biggest difference aside from the smoother and more linear powerband compared to your R6. The Hayabusa handles exceptionally well for a heavy bike however, you will want to keep an eye on your speed and also get your braking done a little earlier since the Hayabusa is heavier and is a little more difficult to trail brake into turns because of that.

Otherwise, I think you will love this bike...I've owned many bikes and I can honestly say that on the street, the Hayabusa is absolutely my favorite bike. Take your time and as others said, control is in your right hand even if you are in A mode. The best part is that the Hayabusa gets better and better each time you ride it! Congratulations, you now have one of the fastest production vehicles in the world...it's a sleeping giant that demands respect yet, will take good care of you if you do allow that respect.

Be safe!

Thanks for all the great advice. My experience so far was exactly how you described. Breaking is completely different then my r6.

Congrats bro.Take it easy 'til you get used to it and you'll be fine(I was 49 when I bought my 1st Busa in '02[am on my 3rd one now]and had never been on a Jap bike in my life:laugh:).I lived on a boat in MDR back in the late '90's and am in Corona now.There's a shytload of us out here in SoCal on Busas(Long Beach,Anaheim,Riverside,Corona,Temecula,SD,etc.),let me know if/when you get out my way and we'll disturb some peace.:laugh:

For sure man, just let me know if your ever around the Marina.

Just for clarification; by default, the bike is in 'A' mode. If you never mess with the drive mode selector, there will be no need to set anything. Also worth noting - if you do change modes to 'B' or 'C', when you shut off the bike, or put down the kickstand while the bike is running, it will default back to A automatically. Just something to bear in mind if you do ever change modes. 'A' mode can make you pucker up real quick if you are expecting 'B' or 'C' mode power when you get on it. :beerchug:

Congrats on your new bike and :welcome:

Thanks, this was great information. I put the bike in C mode and wasn't aware it automatically goes back to A. I definitely have noticed unexpected power surges at parking lot and side street speeds in first gear as a result of this.

Still breaking in the tires and engine, 600 miles is a lot for me. But, nothing could be worse then breaking in my 250 ninja. You couldn't even hit 35 without over reving the engine in top gear lol.

Congratulations!

My first bike in 2012 was a Harley sporster of all things. Hated it, then rented an Yamaha R6 one weekend, and loved it. So I opted last summer Aug '13 to get a used 2011 Suzuki GSX-r600 (my first sports bike) and fell in love as a second bike. I should have started with a sports bike to begin with.

Then I finally sold the Harley as I hated riding it this past March, but then bought a new 2013 Hayabusa this past April. I also got a clearance deal on it.

AND NOW I'm thinking of selling the GSX-R, because the Hayabusa is SO smooth and easier to ride I prefer it big time. I had no idea how really great/gentle and of course powerful but manageable the Hayabusa was until I finally got one.

Congratulations!

My first bike in 2012 was a Harley sporster of all things. Hated it, then rented an Yamaha R6 one weekend, and loved it. So I opted last summer Aug '13 to get a used 2011 Suzuki GSX-r600 (my first sports bike) and fell in love as a second bike. I should have started with a sports bike to begin with.

Then I finally sold the Harley as I hated riding it this past March, but then bought a new 2013 Hayabusa this past April. I also got a clearance deal on it.

AND NOW I'm thinking of selling the GSX-R, because the Hayabusa is SO smooth and easier to ride I prefer it big time. I had no idea how really great/gentle and of course powerful but manageable the Hayabusa was until I finally got one.

I also considered a gsxr before I decided to buy the R6. I can't flatfoot a R6 but i can easily flat foot a gsxr, which was quite a bit more comfortable (I'm 5'9). Looking back, a r6 isn't a very good around town or commute to school bike. Honestly, I just like the way the black and gold R6 looked and once I saw this one in mint condition with some vinyl work i had to have it.

2009 R6 Raven BLK/GLD : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

It was insured, but I was still really upset when it was stolen. I put a lot of time into it and that turned me off riding for a little over a year. Maybe one day ill pick up another black and gold r6 for a track bike, or maybe not, since the HP4 makes it completely obsolete.

On another note, its time to start upgrading my busa. I'm leaning towards yoshi slipons to keep the cost down and maintain the dual exhaust look. I got a full r55 system with a power commander for my r6 and lost quite a bit or money on that when it was stolen when you consider the cost of labor, dyno, and remapping. The bike is parked in the same place. I don't plan on ever seriously tracking this bike but will probably hit the track or drag strip on occasion. Here are the three options Im considering. If Yoshi made a full duel exhaust system i would have already ordered it.

Yoshimura R-77 Dual Slip-On Exhaust Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2008-2013 - RevZilla
Yoshimura R-77 Exhaust System Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2008-2013 - RevZilla
Akrapovic Exhaust System Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2008-2014 - RevZilla

It's good to see another Busa added to SoCal. I may have missed it but where in SoCal are you?

P.S., I just noticed your username... do you have six fingers on your right hand? :laugh:

Yes...... and you killed his father, prepare to die. ( In a strong Spanish accent of course :fight: )

It's good to see another Busa added to SoCal. I may have missed it but where in SoCal are you?

P.S., I just noticed your username... do you have six fingers on your right hand? :laugh:

Marina Del Rey. I grew up in Studio City though and am in the valley quite a bit. Haha.. No, i'm looking for the man with 6 fingers :grim:

Got 120 miles on the bike now, I think im going to get the r77 slip-ons.

I don't think I want $900 slipons. Leaning towards a full Akrapovic system once i break in the bike. So I'll need a power commander and a dyno. Are there any other obvious upgrades I should do before I pay for a custom map?

On another note, its time to start upgrading my busa. I'm leaning towards yoshi slipons to keep the cost down and maintain the dual exhaust look. I got a full r55 system with a power commander for my r6 and lost quite a bit or money on that when it was stolen when you consider the cost of labor, dyno, and remapping. The bike is parked in the same place. I don't plan on ever seriously tracking this bike but will probably hit the track or drag strip on occasion. Here are the three options Im considering. If Yoshi made a full duel exhaust system i would have already ordered it.

I installed the r77's on my 'busa...
IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

and I bought the kit from RevZilla too ;-) Was an easy installation, which I video'd here:

Having done the slip on for the GSX-R600, it was easy on the 'Busa. Trickiest part is drilling the small hole in the pipe, to put the retaining pin in.

Also, I wasn't sure a complete exhaust system was entirely legal, especially where I live in California with the CARB standards. I did this upgrade mostly for looks and some weight savings. But the sound improvement is really nice too. Has a nice "tuned", sound to me and growls a bit better. Not louder, just more pleasant and throaty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the r77's on my 'busa...
IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

and I bought the kit from RevZilla too ;-) Was an easy installation, which I video'd here:

Having done the slip on for the GSX-R600, it was easy on the 'Busa. Trickiest part is drilling the small hole in the pipe, to put the retaining pin in.

Also, I wasn't sure a complete exhaust system was entirely legal, especially where I live in California with the CARB standards. I did this upgrade mostly for looks and some weight savings. But the sound improvement is really nice too. Has a nice "tuned", sound to me and growls a bit better. Not louder, just more pleasant and throaty.

Great video man and the cans look great and sound much better then stock. I've pretty much decided on the Akrapovic Exhaust though. Loud, illegal and light just sounds more exciting =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video man and the cans look great and sound much better then stock. I've pretty much decided on the Akrapovic Exhaust though. Loud, illegal and light just sounds more exciting =)

Are you in So Cal? You're not worried about any legal issues riding the 'busa on the street?

Are you in So Cal? You're not worried about any legal issues riding the 'busa on the street?

I had a full yoshi system on my r6 and never had any problems. I had to get it installed at a small shop because no dealership would touch it. Also, motorcycles don't need to be smoged when you change ownership so I think its pretty unlikely I would run into any issues.

They're pretty mellow down here,I've been running a Brocks Short Meg for almost 3 years and haven't displayed my license plate for 6(keep it in my hump)and have never been stopped(yet...probably just jinxed myself:laugh:).

Had a pretty bad experience with ram mount. Ordered the iPhone mount for a little over $70 shipped, expensive for what it is.

What I ordered
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5584/ftgv.jpg

What arrived
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5803/byx5.jpg
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/788/etk4.jpg

Their response:

Thank you for the photos. I am sorry if the appearance of the ball base was not to your expectations but I would like to comment that this appears to part of our normal manufacturing process. The area on the post between the ball and the base cannot be fully painted. High injection pressures are required to inject the rubber material and there needs to be a tight seal against the post to inject the rubber ball, which leaves the post with scratches, and where the powder coat simply cannot withstand that; thus leaving an unpainted post. The bases are made of a 369.1 Marine Grade Aluminum Ingot and you should encounter no issues with weather affecting the base. RAM Mounts come with a Lifetime Warranty so if you ever have an issue with the bases, other than cosmetic, please reach out to us and we will replace the damaged part.

Best Regards,

Brian Anderson | Customer Support
National Products, Inc | RAM Mounting Systems

 : 206-763-8361 Ext 100 | Fax 206-763-9615 (ATTN Brian)
: : brian.anderson@rammount.com | RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
w : 8410 Dallas Ave South | Seattle, WA | 98108

What bull****.

Back