Just bought a new Hayabusa today

InigoMontoya

Registered
Hey everyone!

I decided to pulled the trigger on a white 2013 Hayabusa. The dealership is going to deliver it tomorrow. 13425 otd in socal. Also got full coverage though USAA for $612 a year. I'm super excited but at the same time a bit nervous, as I have never been on a busa before or any bike over 600cc.

It's the bike I always wanted and was always so jealous/impressed when one pulled up next to me at a red light. I think I'm finally ready for it; I took the msf course 4 years ago, owned a 250 ninja and then a r6. The r6 had a very aggressive top end powerband while being rather weak and clunky at low rpms. From what i heard the hayabusa it is much smoother and predictable throughout all the gears and rpms. I guess I will experience this for myself tomorrow.

On the other hand the r6 was stolen a year ago and I haven't rode anything since. Also, combined on all the bikes I probably have under 5000 miles under my belt and I wouldn't say I am a experienced rider. I don't commute on a bike and usually just cruise down PCH here in socal occasionally on the weekends. I ride very conservatively and obey traffic laws -for the most part. lol. So, hopefully this goes well. Any advice would be extremely welcome. Eventually ill go to the California Superbike School, but I told a friend I would wait until he could afford it so we could do it together.

It would also be a lot of fun to meet up with some other owners in socal! Especially people that enjoy cruising the coastline as safely as possible vice passing cars at extremely high speeds. Eventually, I would definitely need to take this bike to its full potential on a track or drag strip. I live in Marina Del Rey, but also have a Jeep to trailor the bike.

pics!

The new busa and my stolen r6.

That R6 looks sick! Very nice. The Busa is a very easy bike to ride and you are approaching it the right way. Just put the ride mode in A and keep getting it. It's all in the throttle hand brother!

Just make sure you have lots of clear road ahead of you when you open her up! The only problem I had when I stepped up from a 600 (to a gsxr1000) was I never wanted to ride a 600 ever again. :p

Welcome to the Hayabusa family, enjoy the power and like said above its all in the throttle control...taking the jump from the R6 to a Hayabusa the biggest thing your going to want to retrain yourself on is your braking distances...the Hayabusa does not stop like the R6 would have so get to know your slow down times...

When the dealer delivers, you need to put a very easy 100 miles on her to scrub the tires in. You will be amazed at the torque, and it will spin that new rear tire out from under before you know it. Once you get used to her you will never look at another bike.

I came from an R6 (actually a total of 4 one street/ 3 race) as well and honestly, the Busa is easier to ride in everyday situations. The power is very linear however, you will want to take your time because this bike is so smooth that what is work for most bikes is nothing for a Hayabusa when it comes to getting up to speed. A slight throttle on an R6 will leave you at let's say 80mph? On a Hayabusa, a decent amount of throttle can put you in triple digits without effort. The weight will be the biggest difference aside from the smoother and more linear powerband compared to your R6. The Hayabusa handles exceptionally well for a heavy bike however, you will want to keep an eye on your speed and also get your braking done a little earlier since the Hayabusa is heavier and is a little more difficult to trail brake into turns because of that.

Otherwise, I think you will love this bike...I've owned many bikes and I can honestly say that on the street, the Hayabusa is absolutely my favorite bike. Take your time and as others said, control is in your right hand even if you are in A mode. The best part is that the Hayabusa gets better and better each time you ride it! Congratulations, you now have one of the fastest production vehicles in the world...it's a sleeping giant that demands respect yet, will take good care of you if you do allow that respect.

Be safe!

could have bought my 2008 with 1300 miles on it for 8500 and saved a ton and had the same bike with exhaust etc :)

Congrats and welcome to the org. Use your head and you will be just fine. The Busa can be very gentle with throttle control.

Congrats and welcome to the org. Use your head and you will be just fine. The Busa can be very gentle with throttle control.

Could not have said it better myself. Good luck with the new scooter!!!!!! I had a gsxr 750 for a season. Back on the busa again. Can't even compare.

Congrats bro.Take it easy 'til you get used to it and you'll be fine(I was 49 when I bought my 1st Busa in '02[am on my 3rd one now]and had never been on a Jap bike in my life:laugh:).I lived on a boat in MDR back in the late '90's and am in Corona now.There's a shytload of us out here in SoCal on Busas(Long Beach,Anaheim,Riverside,Corona,Temecula,SD,etc.),let me know if/when you get out my way and we'll disturb some peace.:laugh:

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. I decided to go to Vegas for my 29th birthday and just got back last weekend so I didn't have much time to ride, but I did put the first 20 miles on the bike yesterday and another 20 today.

I definitely love the bike! It really is a a lot easier to ride then my r6. Everything is smoother and the riding position is a lot more comfortable. I like the ABS but it's definitely going to take some getting used to. I was practicing some quick stops and it feels strange braking without any feedback from the front or rear breaks.

That R6 looks sick! Very nice. The Busa is a very easy bike to ride and you are approaching it the right way. Just put the ride mode in A and keep getting it. It's all in the throttle hand brother!

Just for clarification; by default, the bike is in 'A' mode. If you never mess with the drive mode selector, there will be no need to set anything. Also worth noting - if you do change modes to 'B' or 'C', when you shut off the bike, or put down the kickstand while the bike is running, it will default back to A automatically. Just something to bear in mind if you do ever change modes. 'A' mode can make you pucker up real quick if you are expecting 'B' or 'C' mode power when you get on it. :beerchug:

Congrats on your new bike and :welcome:

Back