R6 --> hayabusa

nychris

Registered
I just bought an '02 blue/back 'busa on eBay. I've been riding a Yamaha R6 for the last year, and its the only bike I've ever ridden. I'm picking the bike up tomorrow, any tips or advice for a new 'busa owner?

Yeah, post pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tounge.gif

Welcome to the board and the insanity.

Don

Its just a bigger more powerful bike. Learn as you go. Learn the power of this bike little at a time.

Yeah, post pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tounge.gif

Welcome to the board and the insanity.

Don
I don't have the bike yet, but here's the link to the eBay auction.  These pictures suck though, they are dark.  I'll take my own pics after I pick the bike up and post them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....5067024
Yeah, I know you don't have the bike yet. I was just giving you a hard time.

Seriously, don't underestimate this bike. As I have posted before idle to 5500rpms, she is a kitten. 5501 to 8000 rpms, she is a lion. Anything over 8001 rpms and she is a demon.
Last but not least..

Ask questions, Ask questions, Ask questions

There is more information about these wonderful machines on this forum than even the Zuki engineers knew existed.

Don

great price!!!!! just make sure the battery is good and hold the starter button fore a bit more than just a flick !!as the starter gear is a bit weak on the 02.(had one for 26 k never a problem )just make sure you remember throttle control .

usn04limited, the guy I'm buying it from actually said the same thing about the RPMs. He was telling me to just keep it under 5000rpms until you get used to the power. Good advice.

rob t, I actually got it for $400 less than that, the total was $6125 because it was dropped once in a garagae and has a scratch on the right side. The original owner was a female rider too! Whats with your sig, "stay off the rear brake"? Whats thats all about? Do you not use the rear brake at all? I'm fresh off the MSF safety course and I was told to apply even pressure to both front and rear brakes simultaneously when coming to a stop. Do you all agree with that? I'm still a newbie here
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|nychris
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152487119 -->

if you want to stay alive and ride the street dont use the fugger !!!!!!!!!!! been riding theese things for 30 years and your course is WRONG!!! DEAD WRONG!!!!

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152546086 -->

There have been a few occasions where I was using both brakes, but applied too much pressure to the rear and felt the back tire start to slide out, but I was able to recover. Do the rest of you not use the rear brake either?

<!--EDIT|nychris
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152489698 -->

YEP, I do use the rear brake.  Rob T uses it to if he will admit it.  Everytime that you are stopped at a stop light on a hill.  It should be renamed the parking brake.  

If I have to shut the bike down hard, I will use both brakes, but you have to make sure that you weight is planted firmly at the back of seat to reduce the chance of the rear end coming out.  Having to brake that hard very rarely happens to me, but I do practice it in big parking lots where I have lots of room.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152494680 -->

congrats on the new Busa. I made the jump from a CBR 600 to my Busa and it takes some time to get use to. You'll notice that you are going a lot faster when you're cruising down the highway then you think. I was always going atleast 90mph when I thought I was going about 70. The exhaust note of the Busa with stock cans is a lot lower then a 600. Just keep an eye on the speedo for a while. INJOY
cool.gif

SORRY USN !!i shoulda made it clearer i guess ?i use the rear brake to help turn in a dead end street when need be or when i must go off raod to get some where or to keep my bike from rolling downhill when stopped and bs with someone .! but othewise nope ,dont use it. dont need to be sliding the rear around in a panic here!!been doing this too long to do that stuff.

dont need to be sliding the rear around in a panic here!!
Key word panic. Using both brakes will stop the bike the quickest. Using the rear brake is also a fine art not to be taken lightly. CONTROL is the way and only with moderation. It can be used to scuff-off speed w/o upsetting the balance of the bike too(?) much. How your Rr. brake pedal is set will make a big difference on it locking up or not. I use Fr. only about 80-90% while riding hard, toe is under pedal alot. I use it w/ thought only. Stops, hills, tight turns, ect.... always.

Just my .02

ps Welcome, congrads on the new bike & lic.

<!--EDIT|fasttoys1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152498354 -->

fasttoys1..the problem is (and i ve seen it with good riders)that the rear brake WILL get you into trouble in a split second !!sooo...thats why i stay away!! id rather lose some plaining out or normal stopping power (ive seen great riders high side scubbing off speed with it)and take my chances and live to ride again !!ps you ever here of anyone crashing or highsiding from just the front brake?ask anyone whos gone down what caused it ...the ol rear brake !!!!!!!!!!

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152499727 -->

Rob T, for the most part I was poking a little fun at ya.  I agree with not using it most of the time.  I have ridden Suzuki Super Sport bikes for over 20 years.  My first Busa was a 04LE, now I have a 05LE.  Due to the weight of the bike, I have been practicing (in a big parking lot, in a straight line) using both brakes to shut the bike down quickly.  As a general rule I won't touch the thing on the street. I am learning that if need be (emergency) it can dramatically aid in shutting the bike down.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152500384 -->

Actually with control is the key. Several race schools still include this techinec, although most have gotten away from it. And yes I've raced And crashed. I've also seen in 40 yrs. guys dump being over aggreesive with the front brake too, and down shifting too hard and and hundred other wrong place, wrong time things. It's no different than a lot of things, use it wrong and someone gets hurts. Been there, done that.

<!--EDIT|fasttoys1
Reason for Edit: "spelling, again, it's late"|1152501410 -->

GOod advice, keep it coming.

I just copied and pasted this from the DMV motorcycle manual:

BRAKING

Your motorcycle has two brakes: one each for the front and rear wheel. Use both of them at the same time. The front brake is more powerful and can provide at least three-quarters of your total stopping power. The front brake is safe to use if you use it properly.

Remember:

* Use both brakes every time you slow or stop. Using both brakes for even "normal" stops will permit you to develop the proper habit or skill of using both brakes properly in an emergency. Squeeze the front brake and press down on the rear. Grabbing at the front brake or jamming down on the rear can cause the brakes to lock, resulting in control problems.
* If you know the technique, using both brakes in a turn is possible, although it should be done very carefully. When leaning the motorcycle some of the traction is used for cornering. Less traction is available for stopping. A skid can occur if you apply too much brake. Also, using the front brake incorrectly on a slippery surface may be hazardous. Use caution and squeeze the brake lever, never grab.
* Some motorcycles have integrated braking systems that link the front and rear brakes together by applying the rear brake pedal. (Consult the owner's manual for a detailed explanation on the operation and effective use of these systems.)

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/mcmanual.htm

usn04limited, the guy I'm buying it from actually said the same thing about the RPMs.   He was telling me to just keep it under 5000rpms until you get used to the power.  Good advice.

rob t, I actually got it for $400 less than that, the total was $6125 because it was dropped once in a garagae and has a scratch on the right side.  The original owner was a female rider too!   Whats with your sig, "stay off the rear brake"?   Whats thats all about?   Do you not use the rear brake at all?   I'm fresh off the MSF safety course and I was told to apply even pressure to both front and rear brakes simultaneously when coming to a stop.   Do you all agree with that?   I'm still a newbie here
blush.gif
The busa rear brake won't do sh1t... applying even pressure won't do anything but make you hit a car in front of you (06 model).

usn04limited, the guy I'm buying it from actually said the same thing about the RPMs.   He was telling me to just keep it under 5000rpms until you get used to the power.  Good advice.

rob t, I actually got it for $400 less than that, the total was $6125 because it was dropped once in a garagae and has a scratch on the right side.  The original owner was a female rider too!   Whats with your sig, "stay off the rear brake"?   Whats thats all about?   Do you not use the rear brake at all?   I'm fresh off the MSF safety course and I was told to apply even pressure to both front and rear brakes simultaneously when coming to a stop.   Do you all agree with that?   I'm still a newbie here
blush.gif
The busa rear brake won't do sh1t... applying even pressure won't do anything but make you hit a car in front of you (06 model).
idea.gif
idea.gif
idea.gif

idea.gif

idea.gif

blush.gif
I couldn't disagree more. Use your MSF skills, that's they way to go.

You apply as much pressure as you need to, to get any bike to stop. Apply both brakes will stop you faster than just using front only. The important thing is a controlled stop, instead of a skid.

Good luck, and congrats on the new bike.

Back