First ride on the Avons and Tobin

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Took a short ride last night on the new tires and seat. I was being very cautious because this is the first time the tires have been on the road. Everything was fine, and as I was leaving the neighborhood I leaned(just a little) and proceeded to enter the main street. I didnt give her much throttle, but *&*%#*&^ she spun out to the right and I had to put my foot down. Wow, that made me really pay attention. New tires are slicker than snot on a door knob!
The new seat( Thank you Eric!) is harder than the stocker, but more comfortable. It makes your hips rotate backwards away from the tank. You dont feel so "leaned forward" over the tank. This was more than I was expecting. I did notice a slight discomfort in my lower back until I realized I was slumping and straighted my posture. The Tobin will keep you planted and you feel more like you are sitting in a bucket seat, vrs. a bench. Hope that made sense.
Anyway, the only other little issue I had was a very hard acceleration at about half way through 3rd gear, I got a pretty good tank slapper. The road was a little rough, so I am not sure if I need to contribute this to the new tire, the hard acceleration, or the road. The wheel and tire are balanced, so I ruled that out and it never did it again.
I highly recommend the Tobin seat, but I must admit it would have taken me a while to get one if it hadnt been for Goodluck picking this one up for me. My knees are bent a little more because I sit lower in the saddle now, but I felt no discomfort because of it. Maybe one of these days, I will have to hit Joe up about the peg mod. If you have been thinking about it, get one, you will like it.
Be careful on the new tires guys! :thumbsup:

glad you were able to keep it on two...now, try to keep it that way as i want to see you in a couple weeks! :laugh:

I have Avons on the 250 and I get a little wobble at 45mph that nobody can diagnose. It doesn't do it at any other speed.

Glad you survived!
My rule is 50 miles on a new tire in baby mode! The Avons are slower than most to heat up and stick, but for the mostly street riding i do i appreciate the longer mileage i get from them. They are also good in the rain.

Everyone says the Tobin is a harder seat, at my age i don't need that! LOL

Glad nothing bad happened. I like my Tobin a lot better then the stocker. Hope the Avons work out for you and improve after you get a few miles on them.

btw, we need picts on the seat!! :rulez:

Glad nothing bad happened. I like my Tobin a lot better then the stocker. Hope the Avons work out for you and improve after you get a few miles on them.

btw, we need picts on the seat!! :rulez:

:whistle:

Tires%20010.jpg

Tires%20011.jpg

:laugh:

I knew you would come through with some picts!!

Very nice!! Looks very similar to mine.

maybe run those Avons at like 30 lbs for the first few miles? one thing I can say about the tires I have been running.. they stick from the first 100' down the road (BT016/BT002 and the Dunlop Q's) but dang they wear fast..

Want to hear your long term assessment of the Avons.. Still deciding whether to go with the 021 or the Storm (have the 021 already)

Not sure Randy, ask me again about them in Eureka. If you already have the 21's, mount em up. They are good tires, just watcht the front. :whistle:

humm. I haven't had the Avon's do that to me. Since you ride 2 up alot, you probably have the suspension setup very tight, which will effect grip. The Avon isn't as grippy as what you were running cold. Glad you were able to keep it upright. Glad you were able to get the Tobin. :thumbsup:

Looks good man,

I went with the pegs and Tobin due to my 6'4" frame,

At times I wish I also had a gell seat to try but I know it will "lift" me back up a little, But the leg room is great with the pegs from Joe.

humm. I haven't had the Avon's do that to me. Since you ride 2 up alot, you probably have the suspension setup very tight, which will effect grip. The Avon isn't as grippy as what you were running cold. Glad you were able to keep it upright. Glad you were able to get the Tobin. :thumbsup:

What do you mean Dennis, the Avons were grippy because they were cold, or they arent as grippy as the 21's were cold?

I am expecting better than 2500.

Even 2up you should get 6K out of the rear easily. They do not warm up as fast as the softer tires. That is one of the trade offs of more mileage. As far as the tankslapper I have no idea. Never had even a small wobble in over 12K miles on Storms with my o6.

Nice seat:thumbsup:

ok Im lost, are they a soft or hard comp. tire 2500 sounds kind of low thats what you get out of a pilot or m1

Back