Avon Strom tire review

m1008cucv

Registered
I got back from a trip to the Black Hills, South Dakota, really nice mountains and twisties. I had a pair of Avon's Storms mounted before the trip. Round trip was 2000 miles. Total time for straight line riding was 1000 miles, that was at 95-110 for those miles. Twisty time was 1000 miles. When I got home I put another 1000 miles on the tires to and from work. 3000 miles on tires and i am down to the wear bars on the back. I don't know if it was the sustained high speeds or what but I really thought i would get a little more out of these Avon's.
I was however really impressed on how these performed in turns, and I did take them all the way to the outside of the rear tire, very predictable and had plenty of stick on the front and back.
The front tire has plenty of tread in the center, but the outsides are cupped and worn. does anyone have any recommendations on what tire I should try next. I ride 40% twisties and I do ride hard and 60% highway where I try to stay out of the throttle as much as possible so the tire doesn't to fast?

I was however really impressed on how these performed in turns, and I did take them all the way to the outside of the rear tire, very predictable and had plenty of stick on the front and back.

does anyone have any recommendations on what tire I should try next.
If you like the way the Avons stick, then you need to try a set of Dunlop Qualifiers.

Unbelievable turn-in and grip levels. Even if they are going to melt away - and they might, as these are the tires I am entering in the Utah 1088 Endurance Rally next weekend - the grip and performance levels of these Dunlop Qualifiers at worth it. They are that good.

So far on the K8, I have run the factory BT-015s, the Michelin Pilot Power, the Avon Storm, and now the Dunlop Qualifier. For me, only the Pilot Power approach the Qualifiers in performance, though the Dunlops clearly lead the way.

I'm not sure the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 as far as tire wear. I have Avon Storms on my 05 Busa. This set has:
- trip from St Louis to the dragon for the Spring Bash ~ 1700 mi
- 2 trips from St Louis to Kansas City ~ 900 mi
- trip from St Louis to Eureka Springs AR for the M&G ~ 1050 mi
- A couple of months commuting and local riding ~ 1300

All totaled, around 5,000 and about 20 pulls on the dyno. I do agree with how they stick in the corners.

Img_0523.jpg

I was however really impressed on how these performed in turns, and I did take them all the way  to the outside of the rear tire, very predictable and had plenty of stick on the front and back.

does anyone have any recommendations on what tire I should try next.
If you like the way the Avons stick, then you need to try a set of Dunlop Qualifiers.

Unbelievable turn-in and grip levels. Even if they are going to melt away - and they might, as these are the tires I am entering in the Utah 1088 Endurance Rally next weekend - the grip and performance levels of these Dunlop Qualifiers at worth it. They are that good.

So far on the K8, I have run the factory BT-015s, the Michelin Pilot Power, the Avon Storm, and now the Dunlop Qualifier. For me, only the Pilot Power approach the Qualifiers in performance, though the Dunlops clearly lead the way.
Good tire analysis!

You may want to take a look at the Bridgestone BTO21. I have no experience with them but those who have praise them?

Well i got to tell you ladies and gentlemen I am an advocate for the stock Bridgestone Battle Ax BT-56 and get plenty milage off them, over 5,000 easy. I have ridden in the hot and cold and not to mention the fact that I scraped foot pegs with confidence on my 04 Busa. These tyres will hold the road even in the wet so I see no need to spend the extra cash on all those name brand tyres unless you just like the way they look although I must say the Avon tyres are reasonably priced.

Did you mean BT015's ?
I am on my second rear. First rear blew away at 3500 miles but I am at 65 now with lots to go on the rear. The front still looks good.
I think the first 3500 had the "new bike" factor of pulling away hard at every stop.
whistling.gif

+1 on the Qualifiers...just purchased my second rear. Ran OE BT-56 and Metzler M3 before the Qs.

Try a Metzeler Z-6! I have storms on mine right now but the last combo I ran M3 front and Z6 rear (stock sizes) I got over 7000 miles out of the rear and plenty left on the front when I removed it for the Storms. I got about 4200 out of the M3 rear before that and my stock Bridgestone was shot at 2600 miles. Z6 is a great tire is you are looking to get more than few months worth of riding in. I like the storms so far but is they dont outlast the Metzelers I'll go back in a heartbeat.

Back