Bridgestone S20 shredding after long ride

Stilslo

Registered
After a long interstate ride today, I noticed my back tire was shredding like I just did a track day. The tires were fine when I left with plenty of tread on them. I've knocked out 550 miles of a 1000 mile trip and planned on changing the rear after the trip, but I'm worried the tire won't make it. Anybody expierance this with a tire on a long trip? High road temps with a sticky tire maybe?

Post up a photo!

I should have taken one earlier. After I checked into my hotel room and showered, I just walked into the parking lot to get a pic and all the boogers are gone. The last hour of my ride was after the sun went down(cooler temps). It looked like someone took a cheese grater to it earlier today.

Not to bad this morning. Going to roll with it

image-3436429679.jpg

yeap sounds like the tire got hot for a long time and just started eating away, the PR3's you will not regret getting, held up just fine at the dragon this week and you know how i ride lol:laugh:

yeap sounds like the tire got hot for a long time and just started eating away, the PR3's you will not regret getting, held up just fine at the dragon this week and you know how i ride lol:laugh:

Yeah, I think the PR3's are the way to go in Florida. I covered almost the whole west coast and the only curves I hit were the exit ramps lol

That's what happens at the end of the life on most tires. The rubber begins to bugger up when it becomes very thin. Next thing is the carcass showing in the center as shown in the photo. You can clearly see the seperation between the thread rubber and the carcass. The next step is the steel wire showing in the center. And then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well lets just say the next step is rarely pretty.

Just a worn out tire. Should have been replaced after the first photo.

That's what happens at the end of the life on most tires. The rubber begins to bugger up when it becomes very thin. Next thing is the carcass showing in the center as shown in the photo. You can clearly see the seperation between the thread rubber and the carcass. The next step is the steel wire showing in the center. And then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well lets just say the next step is rarely pretty.

Just a worn out tire. Should have been replaced after the first photo.

If there was a place open Sunday anywhere on my route I would have had it changed, no matter the cost. That's not a good feeling running down the road wondering when the rear was going to go out. I've never run a tread down this much so I was not sure if it was normal or a defect. I'll take it as a lesson learned.

what's crazy is you just bought that tire, i would never buy that tire again :rulez:

Depends on what you ask of a tire as to the life of the tire. The S20 is an upgrade of the BT016 which is still a very good performance tire.

You can run PR3's and they will last longer under normal conditions which they were designed for while a performance tire will take you to a higher level with a shorter life.

You can get away with mistakes on a performance tire that will put you on your noggin with a touring tire. Just the way it works.

Depends on what you ask of a tire as to the life of the tire. The S20 is an upgrade of the BT016 which is still a very good performance tire.

You can run PR3's and they will last longer under normal conditions which they were designed for while a performance tire will take you to a higher level with a shorter life.

You can get away with mistakes on a performance tire that will put you on your noggin with a touring tire. Just the way it works.

Exactly. I wasn't planning on taking a 1000 mile interstate trip when I bought the tire. I got it for my normal riding which was 95% back roads and mountains. It was a great tire for that and gave me the confidence to attack the curves while I'm learning body positioning.

Back