Firebird or Camaro

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Well my son has made up his mind and decided that he wants his first car to be a firebird or camaro....

You Okla peeps keep your eyes open for a deal. His requirements were pretty good.....

1. Something not nerdy! (He specifically identified a Ford Taurus and Hybrid)
2. Desires it to be Blue or Black (School colors)
3. He wanted the car to have enough room for his guitar and amp
4. He wanted air conditioning
5. He wanted good gas mileage (V6 is ok with him)
6. He wanted to be able to put a screaming stereo inside.
7. No convertible (Too much to go wrong)
8. 4 seats, two doors, that simple! No 4 doors

He's 15 and has been saving his money up to get his car... Of course we're gonna help him a little but he is ready to make the move... Heck Texas and Kansas folks let me know...

He really wants a GTA anything from 87 to current that fits in about 5 - 8k

cap

search craiglist in Dallas....looks like a real nice 2002 blue Camaro on there.

Original owner 121k miles asking 5500 obo.

I love the looks of the bird,but be prepared to possible have to fix the head lights. the motors tend to die on them. Is the nature of the beast.

Other then that they virtually identical rides. Barring appearance differences.

If you get 87 to 92 here's the site to join up with....

ThirdGen.org

I own a 91 Camaro RS v8 5speed(approx 75% restored) and love the car to death. Owned mine since 1995-6

The difference in gas between a 6 and 8cyl is marginal. Really depends on how the car is driven and whether its built up. Keep in mind the 6bangers usually get ragged on more cause people try to get performance out of them. They have a sports car so they drive it like one. Really depends on being able to identify those who drove their car and those who ragged theirs. Have fun your son won't go wrong with either. 4th gen 6bangers were sold and every tom,**** and Harry bought one cause of the new body style and couldn't afford the 8cyl prices,but drove them like 8's. Basically stay away from 6cyl projects. 4th gen 6er's were pretty peppy. 3rd gen... not so peppy. I would recommend 3rd gen 8cyl and 4th gen 6 or 8cyl. Just look for the signs of abuse.

3rd gen don't buy a carb conversion from a TBI set up. Ends up with all kinds of little issues from speedometer and such. Lot's of people(backyard mechanics) did this if they rebuilt cause of tuning issues.

Not sure on the insurance rates between the 6 and 8's might want to check in advance for his age. Might be practically nothing or big difference.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Make sure you check out the interior Cap. These cars weren't very good in that area. I've worked on a few and the insides were fallin apart. I'm sayin, check em out close before buying. Good Luck.

Fastest I ever went in a cage was 135 in a Firebird.
Nice vehicle - Tell him to be careful.
Bubba

12k for my 67 Plymouth:laugh:

plymouth.jpg

Look for a 2000+ SS.. great cars and plenty quick (may be a little to quick for a first timer though)

maybe a firebird WS6??

Look for a 2000+ SS

I don't want to get him something that he would be too overwhelmed too quickly. He needs some pick up power but nothing radical... Thats why I was pleased when he said he was OK with a 6 cy.

Neither...get him a Mustang :)

:laugh:

What she said. A good fox body in great condition can be had for that price. No offence to anyone, but the 3rd gen Maro's and Firebirds fall apart. My daughter has a 94, so I can speak to this matter. Good luck with the search Cap, lots of good cars in that price range.

What she said. A good fox body in great condition can be had for that price. No offence to anyone, but the 3rd gen Maro's and Firebirds fall apart. My daughter has a 94, so I can speak to this matter. Good luck with the search Cap, lots of good cars in that price range.

I'd actually typed "get a Fox body" then took it out...yeah, I agree with James on this. Unless you're able to go back to the true muscle cars of the mid-late 60's, I think the camaros and firebirds from the 80's have their share of issues...he'd have a blast with a Fox body Mustang; they come in V6 :whistle:

This T/A is on the high side price wise but is a very nice car. He's been trying to sell for a while so he is motivated, and will probably throw in the killer stereo.

I'd actually typed "get a Fox body" then took it out...yeah, I agree with James on this. Unless you're able to go back to the true muscle cars of the mid-late 60's, I think the camaros and firebirds from the 80's have their share of issues...he'd have a blast with a Fox body Mustang; they come in V6 :whistle:

And, a properly taken care of, stock 5.0, will be fun to drive without being overly powerful. Stay away from the notch versions, he can put a little 10" sub under the hatch and any stereo will boom. The notches are cool and sometimes hard to find, the hatches will give more cargo room.

94 would be 4th Gen. I've had 1st, 3rd, and 4th Gen Firebirds. Like all US cars in the 80s, the 3rd gen was pretty bad from the factory, but had a ton of potential.

I have had a 75 Type LT camaro, 79 Firebird (picture Rockford Files...exactly), 98 Z-28 (great car..black w/ black leather, hi-po factory rear end), and have a 68 Camaro in the garage. All fun cars.

I remember when I bought my 1st car.....a camaro, and I wanted it bad...so a word of caution...you may want to look at it first, without him, to see if it is worthy to take him to. Happy Shopping.

I know he has his two choices, but get him to test drive a 97-02 Grand Prix GTP or GT. Plenty of room, power, and excellent gas milage. I own two 97's, and love them. Kinda the sporty little sleepers. Just another option he could look at. You can fid some real nice ones for 2-5 grand.

PONTIAC FIREBIRD the only way to go. Cameros are nice but the Firebird has a lot more curb appeal in my opinion. My first car was a 73 Firebird and I've been hooked ever sence.

Well my son has made up his mind and decided that he wants his first car to be a firebird or camaro....

You Okla peeps keep your eyes open for a deal. His requirements were pretty good.....

1. Something not nerdy! (He specifically identified a Ford Taurus and Hybrid)
2. Desires it to be Blue or Black (School colors)
3. He wanted the car to have enough room for his guitar and amp
4. He wanted air conditioning
5. He wanted good gas mileage (V6 is ok with him)
6. He wanted to be able to put a screaming stereo inside.
7. No convertible (Too much to go wrong)
8. 4 seats, two doors, that simple! No 4 doors

He's 15 and has been saving his money up to get his car... Of course we're gonna help him a little but he is ready to make the move... Heck Texas and Kansas folks let me know...

He really wants a GTA anything from 87 to current that fits in about 5 - 8k

cap

Now there's a kid with his priorities straight. Right on!

Good choice on cars, as well. My first car was a 79 Mustang 5.0 Ghia but I always preferred the Firebird/Trans Am. Only Camaro I ever really wanted was the 67 and 68 Z28's - now THAT was the Camaro!

Best of luck!

Back