Finally got some fish back in my tank

one bass is down for the count......i don't get it, tested all levels & they were all perfect yesterday!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok #2 is down.......WTF is goin on! is there a test i'm not doin? I tested Ammonia, pH, High Range pH, Nitrite, Nitrate
Posted via Mobile Device

What's the temperature of the lake you pulled the fish out of? Did you acclimate the fish to the tanks water temperature or just dump them in? I don't know that much about fresh water but all my Saltwater fish needed temperatures around 78 or so.

ok maybe they're not down.....they were sideways on bottom of tank, now swimmin again
Posted via Mobile Device

dunno wat temp of pond was, it was quite algae ridden so maybe the clean water of the tank is messin with em?
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe not enough "bacteria" for them. There is stuff you can buy for instant tank set up. They may have just been sleeping. :) Might be stressed too. Maybe just keeping the light off for a few hours. I use Melafix in my tank for 3 days when I am introducing new fish or if I see signs of disease and stress. Also try increasing your air a little at a time to see if they respond better. If they wont eat by tomorrow, you may need to get them some fresh food to entice them then move to the frozen food.

big one's down again, watched him by the heater then he started BOLTIN around the tank like crazy and BAM, upside down sank to bottom lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Not good. They maybe stressed. Check your levels again. Have you noticed any white spots on him or white around his mouth?

not 100% on that i'll check. That'd be Ick right?
Posted via Mobile Device

on my way home now, i'll check things out
Posted via Mobile Device

You may just want to start over again w/ new fish. This time see if you can obtain some that are at least 5-6" and can take mini feeders. The larger ones will adapt a bit easier for you I believe.

My "wild" fish acted funny for the first few days in my tank. One would stay straight up and down. Very odd looking for a fish! I put some cover in the tank for them to hide behind. (A piece of drift-wood.) I also left the light off. I am sure it is quite a shock for a wild animal to be caged for the first time. Hope they get better.

well i'm gonna flip the f*ck out if these don't make it. I'm bout ready to have a company come & maintain it for awhile but hesitant since its only a 30gal.....I just dunno what the hell i'm doin wrong!
Posted via Mobile Device

you got frozen ones? try to get live ones from a bait shop. ours were delivered by a "worm guy" and kept live in a tank until it was feeding time. and it may have been because they were stressed or dieing. (how the deuce do you spell that?) try pirhanas, they're harder to kill

Last edited:
wtf would u use bloodworms for from a bait shop, ya can't put em on a hook lol. I'm gonna be a really bummed if these don't make it. thisis my 3rd time tryin to keep fish in this d*mn tank and i've always wanted to have native fish in there
Posted via Mobile Device

Try starting a fish with some heartier fish from pet store (ready food) and then put other fish you want in. It has never been a positive experience to get a take up and runnen with bass and or blue gill or fish of such. Just a word to the wise if you are going to have a company come and maintain your tank, you wanna make sure keeping local native species is legal. It is my thought that keepn them here in PA is illegal.
Posted via Mobile Device

i've read up & it is not illegal. its illegal to sell the fish u catch but not the offspring of them.....its weird. also found that I gotta drop the temp. Read that bass like temps 62-65
Posted via Mobile Device

Back