Finally got some fish back in my tank

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I finally got fish in the tank again. BUT....the catch is that I was wiatin for the opportunity to get some "regional" fish. I went to Gander Mountain & got some super tiny flies. Now I have 5 lil largemouth bass in there bout 3" long each and one fish that looks honestly like a hybrid of a sunfish and a smallmouth bass.

I think toughest thing is gonna be gettin em to eat. Any advice on how to ween em onto flake food?
Posted via Mobile Device

They may not. I don't know what your fish eat that you named but when I was into saltwater aquariums I had to feed different fish different things depending on their specific diet. For instance I had some smaller fish that only ate veggies/algae while some other fish ate certain types of crustations. I also had a eel that I would hand feed silver-sides once a day.

So in short if the type of fishes you have only eat live food they will probably not eat the flake food. Good luck with it all. :beerchug:

Worms on a hook? :laugh:

J/K ing!!!! Seriously I have no idea what they would eat other than small bugs maybe they eat plants. Good luck!!!

I finally got fish in the tank again. BUT....the catch is that I was wiatin for the opportunity to get some "regional" fish. I went to Gander Mountain & got some super tiny flies. Now I have 5 lil largemouth bass in there bout 3" long each and one fish that looks honestly like a hybrid of a sunfish and a smallmouth bass.

I think toughest thing is gonna be gettin em to eat. Any advice on how to ween em onto flake food?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had 3 tanks of Largemouth Bass over a number of years. They will most likely not take to flake food. They like food that tries to run away. hehehe
Let me just tell you....those boys eat. A LOT! :laugh: They outgrew my 65, 85, 125 gallon tanks very quickly.

Keep up w/ the flies. Since you did not include pics (:rulez:) hehe...I can not see their size. Depending on how big they are. You can move onto small goldfish. That is where the fun begins. You'll barely be able to drop 'em in the tank before they get violently nailed :thumbsup: Nothing but scales floating to the bottom.
I used to just hold the bag of feeders up in front of the glass w/ my bass in it...and they would start to go ape shid :laugh: Good stuff.

Last edited:
I just put a large mouth in my buddies tank. I put a small war mouth in mine. (looks like a mean sun fish). I can hold a worm over the water, and he will jump up out of the water and grab it. He also likes to eat dry dog food. I just toss a few pieces in. Just expirement to see what he will eat. What ever mine dosen't eat, my blue channel cat scarfs up.

I wish I could catch a small catfish to throw in there but bein that I only have a 30 gal for now I can't ever seem to catch a "cat" small enough
Posted via Mobile Device

now that I looked up pics of a warmouth, that is what i've got i'm pretty sure. Maybe the warmouth IS IN FACT a hybrid largemouth/sunfish, looks possible
Posted via Mobile Device

Takeuon has advised me to start with bloodworms so off to the pet store I go today. I'm super pumped to get em big enuf for feeder fish!
Posted via Mobile Device

Found a good piece of "cover" for the fish at PetSmart. However, its for reptile tank & says "Caution, not recommended for fish tanks".....what would the reasoning be? Seems to be made of the same stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

you feed the little ones bloodworms. you can chop em up so they're easier for the fish to eat. once they get bigger (5 inches or so) you can use feeder goldfish. i used to work at a bass hatchery, and the bloodworms were the first stage in feeding the fish. they'll eat pellets, but flakes might be kinda tough.

Found a good piece of "cover" for the fish at PetSmart. However, its for reptile tank & says "Caution, not recommended for fish tanks".....what would the reasoning be? Seems to be made of the same stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

Jason...there are plenty of small cave type things as well as imitation logs that are specifically designed for fish tanks and to be permanently submerged. Petsmart should have a wide choice. If that piece you just bought says not recommended for fish tanks, I would take it back & not use it.

After seeing the pics you sent me of your tank, you are well on your way to setting up a nice little crib for those guys. :thumbsup:

Well i got the pre-portioned pack of blood worms. Popped out one block & chopped it up, put e in the tank & they don't seem at all interested. Now the bloodworms are all on the bottom of the tank.... :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

Aren't aquariums fun. I had a marine aquarium of delicate, finiky fish once, not again. I have a marine aquarium, but now I make sure the fish are hardy and will eat flake food before I get them.

Well i got the pre-portioned pack of blood worms. Popped out one block & chopped it up, put e in the tank & they don't seem at all interested. Now the bloodworms are all on the bottom of the tank.... :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

Thaw em out 1st. Give it some time & try again.

will they forage for the worms? I don't mean to be dumb but why won't they go for em once they're thawed & floatin round the tank if i put em in there frozen?
Posted via Mobile Device

The food is cold. They probably like their food close to live as possible. If there was alot of food and they have not shown an interest in it. I would vaccum the bottom of the tank and try a smaller amount. Don't want to throw your ammonia levels off. If you don't have one, the pet stores carry them and usually will have a couple different brands. I use the python. Great for when you want to change the water also. Since your tank is a fresh water tank you could probably use it to put water back in your tank too. I have to mix salt in my water so it is the ole 8 quart kettle with multiple trips from kitchen to living room for me. :) Oh and I want to see pics too!!!! :laugh:

Back